Home The Lodge

Our Gallant Afghan Allies

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 11,665 Senior Member
Apparently child ****, graft and drug dealing are just fine, but we draw the line at war crimes.

Go figure.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/26/world/middleeast/abdul-rashid-dostum-afghanistan-barred-from-entering-us.html?ref=world
The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.

Replies

• EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 3,096 Senior Member
    Our involvement in Afghanistan has been a disaster from day one, supporting murderers and one corrupt government after another, all to establishes a foot hold in the oil rich middle east so the corporate Elite can exploit the natural resources of the region.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,665 Senior Member
    Since I no longer interact with him, would someone please tell Ed that Afghanistan has no oil and that our involvement there began in the early 1980s when the USSR attempted to conquer that nation (a feat no one has accomplished since Alexander the Great). It was the last proxy fight of the Cold War, with us supplying the warlords who defeated the Russkies.

Oh, and Afghanistan is part of the Indian Sub-Continent, not the Middle-East
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    C'mon George, don't you remember? There's a pipeline or could be a pipeline.

Of course, the fact that we have more oil than we know what to do with is neither here nor there.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    When Arab Spring comes to Saudi Arabia that will all change..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Tippy, dat chu?
    I'm channeling...

Mike
    Whew! You had me worried for a moment.
    George K wrote: »
    Tippy, dat chu?

That was the other Canadian whose name I can never remember.
    Mike Dumestre, AKA Tippy. Really good guy. He has dual French and Canadian citizenship. Speaks fluent (and I do mean fluent) French. When we were fishing in Quebec, all of the locals talked about how good his French was. Now his spey casting? well. . . practice makes perfect.
    sherb wrote: »
    Mike Dumestre, AKA Tippy. Really good guy. He has dual French and Canadian citizenship. Speaks fluent (and I do mean fluent) French. When we were fishing in Quebec, all of the locals talked about how good his French was. Now his spey casting? well. . . practice makes perfect.

We used to argue endlessly, with me saying the Arab Spring soon would become Arab Winter since these nations (AKA tribes with flags in many cases) had no experience of self government, and he thought it was the blossoming of permanent change for the better. I was right, but given what has happened since take no satisfaction from it
    Tippy has a zest for life. He loves good wine, good food, and good conversation. And since he has worked all over the world, he has plenty to talk about. If George K is the world's most interesting man, Tippy is the world's most interesting Frenchman.

Stay thirsty, mes Amis.
    Guys,

The Arab Spring wasn't Tippy. Tippy was about peak oil, the weak U.S. dollar (at the time) and adult circumcision.

Arab Spring was a different Canadian. This was the guy who said the he and his European friends couldn't understand why there hadn't been an American Spring yet.

I may not remember which lyric goes to which Prince song, but I never forget an argument.
    TimD

I never forget a BAD argument.
    But yeah, Tippy was wrong about peak oil. Really wrong.
    I see TimD around quite a bit, I'll send your love..

Mike
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Wow, I thought I was totally losing it when you mentioned Tippy and Arab Spring together. Glad to hear I'm not losing it that bad.
    ricinus wrote: »
    I see TimD around quite a bit, I'll send your love..

Mike

Yes, send my love.
    Hugs and kisses to GuySmiley as well.
    Never having kids, I have to look all this **** up..

Mike
    Not the Muppet.

There was another Canadian on this board around the time of Tippy who went by that name. He was another TimD-type, convinced that the U.S. was circling the drain and would be a second rate economic power in short order.
    I could have sworn it was Tippy, oil man and Arab Spring enthusiast. Jeez, my gray cells are slipping away faster than I'd like.
    Steven wrote: »
    Not the Muppet.

There was another Canadian on this board around the time of Tippy who went by that name. He was another TimD-type, convinced that the U.S. was circling the drain and would be a second rate economic power in short order.

Musta be before my time. I only other I remember was a musician from Winnipeg- something Burton..

Mike
    Don't sweat it, George. All Canadians look alike.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,369 Senior Member
    Well, they talk alike! ;)
    Yes we use multi-syllable words..:p

Mike
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    I never knew TimD was Canadian. I thought he was a New Englander like Hex...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    You're thinking of Tim S. He IS a New Englander.
    ricinus wrote: »
    Musta be before my time. I only other I remember was a musician from Winnipeg- something Burton..

Mike

Robert, I believe.

Who was it that brought up the genius idea of using re-bar to encase the mechanisms to harness wave energy? I thought he was another intrepid Canuck.
    Buffco wrote: »
    I never knew TimD was Canadian. I thought he was a New Englander

What's the difference? :)
    Cappy Duane was just dead

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement