Home The Lodge

Here is a question.

fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior MemberPosts: 26,541 Senior Member
Should re-institute seal hunting? Go.
'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    should who or what reinstate it?

Anyway, yes-but only with an English longbow.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    F Seal. He is dead to me when he broke Heidi's heart.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,979 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Anyway, yes-but only with an English longbow.

You make this guy's ghost very happy.

basil-rathbone-with-howard-hill-longbow-01.jpg
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,285 Senior Member
    Yes, but the board can only have one nail. Not two.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    I can't find anything but there was an outdoor show on the Destination channel where the host was talking about how they were becoming overpopulated and damaging fisheries and then there was something on the news talking about how their populations were bringing more great whites to the east coast.

And then there is this.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,979 Senior Member
    Almost lost some fingers.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 350 Senior Member
    The seal hunt has never been officially halted, there are still quotas to this day.
    However, the EU ban on seal products all but killed the demand, so there is no large scale commercial fishery (it's called a fishery for some reason, not a hunt). There were efforts to sell to the Asian market, but I don't think it went anywhere.
    There is still seal hunting in Newfoundland and in the Magdalen Islands of Quebec, but mainly for meat. Flippers are a delicacy in NL, but I never liked them.

There needs to be cull. There are a 4 bazillion of the bastards out there now, not helping the salmon or cod populations any.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Saw harbor seals yesterday at La Hola beach. Also sea lions. I would stand by with the long bow to defend them.

Cuddy, the only animal that is overpopulating any place is us. The argument above is reminiscent of the anti-wolf crowd and their complaints that the wolves are damaging the elk herds and hurting the hunting prospects. Because you know, it's all about the hunting and to hell with everything else, right?

Sorry, comments not directed at you but this stuff really riles me up. Also, I bring up the wolves as not only a comparison point but if a wolf reintroduction reference can't save this place, I don't know what can.
    Another comparison are the complaints about too many cormorants and pelicans. By too many, they mean one each.
    I've even heard one enlightened soul complaining about how many trout osprey eat. Unreal!
    #MeMeMe!!!
    Shawn C. wrote: »

Cuddy, the only animal that is overpopulating any place is us.

Well, I don't think that's true. Aren't you from Pennsylvania?
    Saw harbor seals yesterday at La Hola beach. Also sea lions.

wha. . .where?
    Sorry, bad spelling! La Jolla beach.

Yep, from Pittsburgh. You would be surprised at the amount of elbow room available. Also, check out some numbers on how many kids couples are having these days back east. No seals in Pittsburgh although the wild turkey, bald eagle and peregrine falcon populations have all made tremendous rebounds.
    And dead road-kill deer everywhere. Severe overpopulation, right?
    I was in San Diego last week. Picked up some sweet Marine Corps swag.
    Yes, the white tails are out of control.

I'm picking up some cool micro-brew swag. And my wife bought me a lineup card from one of last year's Padres at Pirates games as a birthday gift. I'm a total sports geek and dig that stuff. I got Matt Joyce (for Sherb and Buffy: he plays baseball for the Pirates) to autograph a ball too.

Love this place!
    Did you end up driving down? We flew just to save a day on each end. Rare for us unless we are going to PIT.
    Saw harbor seals yesterday at La Hola beach. Also sea lions. I would stand by with the long bow to defend them.

Cuddy, the only animal that is overpopulating any place is us. The argument above is reminiscent of the anti-wolf crowd and their complaints that the wolves are damaging the elk herds and hurting the hunting prospects. Because you know, it's all about the hunting and to hell with everything else, right?

Sorry, comments not directed at you but this stuff really riles me up. Also, I bring up the wolves as not only a comparison point but if a wolf reintroduction reference can't save this place, I don't know what can.

I myself am repulsed by the idea. But that is not a pragmatic approach.
    Sorry, bad spelling! La Jolla beach.

Yep, from Pittsburgh. You would be surprised at the amount of elbow room available. Also, check out some numbers on how many kids couples are having these days back east. No seals in Pittsburgh although the wild turkey, bald eagle and peregrine falcon populations have all made tremendous rebounds.

When I was a kid you rarely saw them and then only a few.
    Love this place!
    Did you end up driving down? We flew just to save a day on each end. Rare for us unless we are going to PIT.

I love it too.

Yeah, I drove. Stopped in L.A. for a couple of days, then on down to San Diego.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,013 Senior Member
    I'm picking up some cool micro-brew swag.

Wait Mormons can drink when on vacation? :D
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,659 Senior Member
    I live 20 miles or so from Gettysburg where the deer population was completely out of control until the Park Service ordered culling despite the protests. The protesters should be taken to tour deep suburban New Jersey where hunting bans have resulted in thousands of sickly runt deer in residential neighborhoods.

Baby seals are cute and cuddly, but..........................
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    Jim. You shall burn in hell for that!!!

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 350 Senior Member

Most of the anti-wolf arguments that I heard were from cattle ranchers worried about their herds. Could be hunters too, I honestly don't know.

For 500 years there was wholesale hunting of seals and massive over fishing of Northern Cod, to the point that the cod were nearly wiped out. Totally our fault- 100% agree with you.
    But then when the commercial cod fishery ended, we also sopped hunting seals, and that population exploded. And they aren't eating hamburgers out there.

There is a huge regional economic impact to the ending of the seal hunt. It's a blip in the national economy,but was crippling to many people in outport towns who relied on that money in the spring.

Also - seals are ****. Seriously. They're mean critters.

Not many people know this, but the hunt for the cute baby seals ended in the 1980s. But it's a cash cow for PETA and WWF so they roll out the baby seal footage every year.
    Last thing- seals have been clubbed since the 80s either, they're shot in the head now. Just like any other animal hunted for food or sport. (With the exception of the Magdalen Island hunt, which I think are still allowed to club)
    Jim. You shall burn in hell for that!!!

Hahaha. When you come back out here for a ball game I'll make sure to buy at least the first round.
    Just watched the video Chris posted. They should probably execute all sea lions (hell, all seal species too since that is the subject of the thread) because he stole that guy's tasty fish. Let's shotgun all of the brown pelicans while we're at it as that one on be dock is obviously complicit.
    Seriously though, why is the first and strongest reaction to kill or cull something that is apparently (though not necessarily) hurting our well-off white guy recreation? It's not like seals are killing people by loafing on highways or even eating all of your shrubs and ornamental trees in your yard that that you paid and cared for.
    Let's see some science before we start clubbing seals (again) for rightwad amusement.
    Essentially, not every wildlife over-population "issue" is created equally.

Part of the reason top-level predators numbers are lower than they historically were is because we killed them because... they were causing problems with us. In those days it was primarily market hunting and fishing, but still... Now they're protected and their numbers are rebounding. And we've got complaints because they're causing problems with us.

Hmmmm............
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    Set up a quota, and kill them. Manage it. Feed the poor and use the fur. I'm told it's high quality.

Man what a nation of **** we've become.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Buffco wrote: »
    Set up a quota, and kill them. Manage it. Feed the poor and use the fur. I'm told it's high quality.

Man what a nation of **** we've become.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I just hope it doesnt taste like chicken.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,659 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    I just hope it doesnt taste like chicken.

If they taste like whale, think of steak from steers raised on fishmeal. A Norwegian friend served whale steaks for lunch to me and two other Americans from the Embassy as a way of tweaking Uncle's beard about Norway's whaling quota. Even he agreed that no one in his right mind would want to eat it.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    So, I'm a **** because I don't advocate for the indiscriminate killing of animals? Like I said, show me the science and I will possibly be on board also. 'They eat too many salmon and they are helping the shark population (also devastated by human hunting) isn't good enough for me. Once again, this reeks of the situation involving the western wolves. If it is otherwise, I would be open to humane culling just like I think the northeastern white tail population needs controlling.
    I live out west and you probably have no idea of the blood-lust killing that occurs here. People going out and just killing all manner of birds and mammals for chubbies. Not to mention, how many of those animals do they injure just enough so that the animal can die a slow and painful death? High five, bro! Sorry, but if you don't find that behavior repulsive then perhaps it is you that need to adjust your moral compass.
    And before you ask, I am a huge proponent of sustenance hunting and agree with sport-only hunting for species who are over populated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement