this would make sure that Ohio was a "red" state....

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
so apparently there's a petition circulating on Change.org, proposing that the Republican National Convention live up to the rhetoric of its candidates and dispense with the whole "gun free zone" thing -- not only allowing but encouraging open carry of handguns and AR 15's at the convention.

Couple that with the high probability that Trump will be denied the nomination at least on the first round, and I would imagine it would be like the shoot out at the OK Corral.

from the petition:
THEREFORE, WE ARE CALLING TODAY FOR THE FOLLOWING FIVE POINTS OF ACTION:

1. From the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland: A suspension of their policy preventing the open carry of firearms on the premises of the arena from July 18-21, 2016 to coincide with the Republican National Convention.

2. From the National Rifle Association: An immediate condemnation of the egregious affront to the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution constituted by the "gun-free zone" loophole to the state law.

3. From Ohio Governor John Kasich: A concerted effort to use his executive authority to override the "gun-free zone" loophole being exploited by the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.

4. From Reince Priebus and the Republican National Committee: An explanation of how a venue so unfriendly to Second Amendment rights was chosen for the Republican Convention. Further, we demand a contingency plan to relocate the convention to another location should the Quicken Loans Arena refuse to honor the constitutional rights of the RNC guests to open carry firearms during the convention.

5. From all Republican candidates for President: You have been brave in raising awareness about the immense dangers posed by "gun-free zones." In order to ensure the safety of your supporters, delegates and all attendees at the convention in July, you must call upon the RNC to rectify this affront to our Second Amendment freedoms and insist upon a suspension of the Quicken Loans Arena's unconstitutional "gun-free zone" loophole. Every American is endowed with a God-given Constitutional right to carry a gun wherever and whenever they please.

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,165 Senior Member
    So who gets to attend a nomination? Obviously candidates, delegates, SS agents, and the press. But are there regular folks sitting in the cheap seats? If the petition were real and caused a change, what would be the odds that a trump (or even a cruz) crazy would act on his delegate not getting the nomination?

I think this is just a stunt, by somebody with access to the site to point out perceive hypocrisy.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »

I think this is just a stunt, by somebody with access to the site to point out perceive hypocrisy.

oh, it is, and there's enough sarcasm in the full petition to make it clear that's all it is. But masterfully done.

and delegates are, by and large, "just regular folks" -- in fact, after this morning's caucus, I was just named an alternate to our county convention, and my son is a full delegate to the same. In theory, we could both end up going to the Democratic convention, though I don't have any desire to do so, my son is really gung-ho about wanting to go.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.