River of Misfortune

I never dreamed that the word "Malheur" would become part of the national lexicon. I've been around these parts most of life, never thought much about the river. But I remember this from a high school history class.

The name of the river is derived from the French for "misfortune." The name was attached to the river by French Canadian voyageur trappers working for the North West Company on the Snake County Expeditions of Donald Mackenzie as early as 1818 for the unfortunate circumstance that some beaver furs they had cached there were discovered and stolen by Indians. The name first appears in the record in 1826 when Peter Skene Ogden, a fur trapper with the Hudson's Bay Company, referred to it as "River au Malheur (from rivière au Malheur, literally: River of the Misfortune)" and thereafter as "Unfortunate River."

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,682 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »

...the Oath Keepers was founded in 2009 by a Yale Law School-educated Army veteran, Stewart Rhodes, and is open primarily to first responders and those who have served in the military. Its members swear to uphold the U.S. Constitution but refuse to follow any order that they interpret as deviating from that...

I think that anyone who has gone through basic training had a class or two on lawful v. unlawful orders and the duty not to obey an unlawful one. Of course the catch is that your superiors and the courts might not agree with you on whether it was lawful or not. The same is true of any federal employee, appointee or elected official. The oath of office is to protect and defend the Constitution, not any particular office or branch of government.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • sherb wrote: »
    I never dreamed that the word "Malheur" would become part of the national lexicon.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. 90% of the country had no idea anything was going on. Another 9% only know a bunch of crazies took over some government **** somewhere in the Northwest.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,288 Senior Member
    Bill Maher nails this one.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.