Making a Murderer (Guys, this thread will have spoilers)

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,711 Senior Member
    Just started episode 7. It's 11:30.

I hate you guys.
    Episode 9.

That brunette reporter with the glasses though....
    o-BAD-BOYS-2-ANNIVERSARY-facebook.jpg

Ahhhhh, yeah you saw her too.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Episode 9.

That brunette reporter with the glasses though....
    Angenette Levy (I think). She is a real life Batman. She saved a kidnapped toddler when doing a story once.

To put this into perspective, in grad school I ordered a quarter pounder value meal via a McDonald's drive thru and immediately drove across the street and got an Italian chicken sandwich via a burger King drive thru. We are all heroes in special ways.
    Ok I just finished the series today.

I'm mixed. I'm fairly certain Avery did it but man was this a cluster f. That smarmy public defendant that was initially defending Dassey gave me the creeps. And I couldn't stand Kratz.

I'm not beyond Lenk planting evidence. And why was there no evidence found in the bedroom?

Very interesting series though. It was informative to see the legal process at work from an outsider's perspective.
    I have seen many of the reports disputing the documentary and I tend to agree. The DNA on the hood convinces me.
    I missed two things that have been mentioned in this thread.

1. DNA on the hood... What DNA was found? On the hood of the RAV4?

2. The mentioning of Avery exposing himself, and wearing only a towel. Was this towards Halbach?
    Hextall wrote: »
    I think it was that he showed up to the door once only wearing a towel that was excluded... his repeated requests for her were included.

Also, showing up only in a towel is a power move reserved only for the suavest of the suave, not huckleberry's fresh off a **** exoneration.
    This... Where did you guys get this? And he repeatedly asked for who? Halbach? Was this not in the show?
    It's outside the doc. Apparently there is a lot of information on reddit, but I read a summary article on the avclub talking about damming evidence not shown in the doc.

Apparently Avery's dna (sweat specifically) was found on the hood of the rav4. The police only tested the hood after dassey confessed that Avery removed a battery cable.

Avery repeatedly called the company TH worked for, specifically asking for her to come out and take pictures of his cars. One of these times he allegedly showed up to the door only wearing a towel. TH told her boss she didn't want to go to the Avery's anymore. Oops.

Regarding something we discussed up thread... Avery settled his lawsuit to pay for his murder defense. That's why that lawsuit stopped. That is why the cops wouldn't frame him to stop the lawsuit, but to frame him to solidify the murder case. Unless I am remembering wrong again.
    Hextall wrote: »
    Avery repeatedly called the company TH worked for, specifically asking for her to come out and take pictures of his cars. One of these times he allegedly showed up to the door only wearing a towel. TH told her boss she didn't want to go to the Avery's anymore. Oops.

Now that's more damning than anything else I've watched. Yeah, he's guilty.

Why in the world wouldn't the judge allow that info? I agree with sherb on that point.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Why in the world wouldn't the judge allow that info? I agree with sherb on that point.

My impression is the judge only didn't allow the story about him showing up in the towel, but let them keep that he called and requested Theresa all the time.

The doc didn't say anything at all about that.
  • As more time goes on, I'm more and more convinced of Avery's guilt. . .

but I'm more and more bothered about the key. How did they miss that key? The late discovery of the key bothers me.

So here's the irony that I can't get past: this case can be proven without a shred of forensic evidence. Further, the DNA evidence makes the possibility of a frame-up more likely, which lessens the possibility that the DNA evidence points towards guilt. So you have conclusive circumstantial evidence from DNA that Avery was in TH's vehicle, and that fact makes it less likely that he committed the crime. Mind. blown.

Let's assume there's no DNA recovered. Can this case still be prosecuted? Sure. Here's what you need for a prosecutable case: means, motive, opportunity. Avery had all three.

1. TH is dead. she was murdered. Someone murdered her. who?
    2. Who was the last person to see her alive?
    3. who had a reason to murder her?
    4. where was her body recovered?
    5. Where was Avery that night?
    6. what was Avery doing that night?

if those questions can be answered, you don't even need the DNA.
    sherb wrote: »
    As more time goes on, I'm more and more convinced of Avery's guilt. . .

That's kind of where I am too... but more and more time means researching information outside the netflix series. Basically... the doc was the defense and none of hte prosecution. all the folks that are rallying for him to be pardoned/retried or whatever don't even have half the story.
    sherb... it might be outside your experience, but what did you make of Colburn's calling in the license plate prior to the car being discovered... and his non-explanation of why he'd do that?
  • Hextall wrote: »
    sherb... it might be outside your experience, but what did you make of Colburn's calling in the license plate prior to the car being discovered... and his non-explanation of why he'd do that?

I don't know. At the time, I seem to remember vaguely thinking that the cops can run a registration on Halbach's car from their patrol car's computer, which would give them the plate #. I don't think I was paying that close of attention. You have a link?
    During trial, they played a call from Colburn to Dispatch, prior to the car being found. He had dispatch confirm the license plate number, then he said "99 Green Rav 4, right?" or something to that effect. The defense said it seemed like a conversation a police officer would have looking at the car in question. But this was before it was discovered at Avery's by the search party. When they played this at trial and he was asked, Colburn didn't know why he made that call.

I tried looking for a transcript, but couldn't find one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMurderer/comments/3xqzj1/colburn_calling_in_the_license_plate_number_what/
  • Jesus, Reddit. I hope to hell I'm out of the prosecution business before Sarah Koenig comes calling.

Option 3) Again, Colburn is watching the Avery place. He follows Teresa as she leaves the Avery's. He pulls her over and kills her. He puts her in the back of the car (hence her blood being there). He removes the plates as 1) it could be reported missing at any time (and you would not want to be caught with it then), 2) placing the plates at a different location on the Avery property increases the probability something is found by searchers and 3) it makes it seem like there was and attempt by Avery to conceal the car. Colburn and Lenk burn the body at the quarry and park car on Avery lot (after doctoring it up. the lot is massive and can be accessed from the quarries). By 11/3 Colburn is in a panic. Woman went missing on 10/31 and she is not reported missing!!! He calls in the plate (oops, she was just reported missing). They continue to wait for the car to be found. They join the detectives on site after the search warrant is in place. They drop the bones in the burn areas (again, both burn areas on the property increases probability they are found). They have cleaned the key as they have used it. They put on some of Steven's DNA (from what they have is custody, wiping it on a tooth brush in the trailer...) and drop it in his room.
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    I'm finished watching it, am I late to the party?

He's guilty as hell. Not so sure about Brendan, but I'm leaning toward guilty as well. I don't care how stupid you are, you don't confess to **** and murder 2 or 3 separate times if you didn't do it. I'm counting the interview with the original lawyer's investigator as a confession. Sherb...do you think he forced that admission and the sketches in order to use Brendan as a witness against Steve, and reduce his sentence in a plea?

(Also, unless Archie tied Veronica to a bed, **** her and burnt the body, I doubt he "read" about it in any book)

Either way, it was an interesting look into the justice system and life in white-trash America.
  • Cuddy wrote: »
    . Sherb...do you think he forced that admission and the sketches in order to use Brendan as a witness against Steve, and reduce his sentence in a plea?

I think that's exactly what he was doing. Showing that his client was cooperative and telling the truth, so that he could get a better deal. It was ugly, but maybe the attorney thought it was necessary.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,734 Senior Member
    Wait a minute! Hextall has a graduate degree?
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Wait a minute! Hextall has a graduate degree?

I framed the dean with a key from a Rav4.
    Slightly related... I watched Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills last night. Same ****, different day.
  • DeadbaitDeadbait Member Posts: 85 Member
    10296637_1520335908266071_327198332_n.jpg
  • woah, wow. Now that you mention it. . .
    Slightly related... I watched Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills last night. Same ****, different day.

I've been wanting to get into it, but knowing Eddie Vedder and And the Dixie chicks were involved. . .oh, and the fact that Echols copped an Alford plea.
    I've been wanting to get into it, but knowing Eddie Vedder and And the Dixie chicks were involved. . .oh, and the fact that Echols copped an Alford plea.

There are three doc's, the one I watched last night was from the mid 90's I think and was unsullied by the music industry (except for Metallica... they are the root cause of all this). I think part 2 and 3 were when the Memphis Tthree started getting a little known.

I cheated though and read some stuff about this so I know what happened to everyone.
  • Oh, that? I've seen that. I haven't seen the latest ones.
    Well, this is some **** we got here.
    oh, and the fact that Echols copped an Alford plea.

Do you think their Alford plea is a cop-out or something?
    Do you think their Alford plea is a cop-out or something?

Well, I think it makes a claim of actual innocence hard to swallow. I understand WHY he would do it, but yes, if I'm honest I don't love it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file