Will They Be Required To Wear Yellow Crescent Arm Bands?

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,969 Senior Member
    I'm amazed at the number of people who still support him. He's at about 28% and the two closest are tied at 18%.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,739 Senior Member
    38% now!!!!
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    If he gets the nomination, then I'd encourage all the people I can to vote for his opponent. I don't care who that person is, as we would be better off.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • The NYT comparison to Jewish registration in **** Germany is facile. A better comparison would be the Smith Act of 1940 which required alien enemy registration.

Unfortunately, we've gone down this road before. Trump's statement is more in line with our history than you'd think.
    That does not make it any less repulsive. BTW he would probably include American born Muslims. We have never done this based solely on religion before.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,882 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    The NYT comparison to Jewish registration in **** Germany is facile. A better comparison would be the Smith Act of 1940 which required alien enemy registration.

Unfortunately, we've gone down this road before. Trump's statement is more in line with our history than you'd think.

First of all he's not talking about enemy aliens, but about all Muslims in the United States - citizens, legal immigrants and temporary visitors.

Secondly, are you saying that repeating that sordid bit of our past is OK? I hope not.

I think the comparison to yellow stars (and pink triangles come to think of it) is appropriate. If you take Trump at face value he's a fascist at best; if not he's a rabble-rousing ****.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Dear republicans,

Really? You're really doing this?

Sincerely,
    Someone who doesn't really want to vote for Hillary but will have to if you f this up
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    Is this like when the liberals were pushing for a national database of all gun owners?

You know...cuz if one gun owner does something bad that means they are all bad.
  • What is it about the word "unfortunately" the two of you don't understand?

And nobody suggested it was the same (e.g. American-born vs. alien), just that it was a better comparison. Suggesting what the idiot Trump is saying is similar to actions taken by the **** is easy but insulting.
    What is it about the word "unfortunately" the two of you don't understand?

And nobody suggested it was the same (e.g. American-born vs. alien), just that it was a better comparison. Suggesting what the idiot Trump is saying is similar to actions taken by the **** is easy but insulting.

Well, the Germans did not stop at stars and triangles on armbands, did they? Trump is no ****, but sounds more and more like a fascist of the Father Coughlin, Ezra Pound and Virgil Effinger pursuasion.
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Is this like when the liberals were pushing for a national database of all gun owners?

You know...cuz if one gun owner does something bad that means they are all bad.

Actually being a gun owner is a choice and you have to register your car, why not your gun?
  • Trump's an idiot; I'm not defending him. I'd vote for Hillary first. And he's not going to get this done if he were elected just like he wouldn't build a wall or deport 12 million people. It's not even worth thinking about.

I am much more concerned with a mindset that says, "this is just like the ****." It's not, just like the Japanese internment camps on the West Coast weren't. They too were terrible, but not the same.
    I am much more concerned with a mindset that says, "this is just like the ****." It's not, just like the Japanese internment camps on the West Coast weren't. They too were terrible, but not the same.

I agree. But the internment camps comparison does not make for good hyperbole.
    Trump's an idiot; I'm not defending him. I'd vote for Hillary first. And he's not going to get this done if he were elected just like he wouldn't build a wall or deport 12 million people. It's not even worth thinking about.

Asking if they'd have to wear armbands is not saying "this is just like the ****", more like "the **** mandated armbands as well". You're reading too much into it.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,204 Senior Member
    Actually being a gun owner is a choice and you have to register your car, why not your gun?

Not trying to defend Trump one single bit. But being Muslim is a choice as well. I think the connection to guns or cars (on anyones part) is asinine.
    Hextall wrote: »
    Dear republicans,

Really? You're really doing this?

Sincerely,
    Someone who doesn't really want to vote for Hillary but will have to if you f this up

Just out of curiosity, which GOPers would you vote for over Hillary?
    jbilly wrote: »
    Not trying to defend Trump one single bit. But being Muslim is a choice as well.

Sure if you believe that someone who owns a gun is raised to believe that he will suffer eternal torment and damnation if he ever stops owning one.
    Sure if you believe that someone who owns a gun is raised to believe that he will suffer eternal torment and damnation if he ever stops owning one.

See my edited post above. The connection to this and guns in the first place and cars in second place equals ****.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, which GOPers would you vote for over Hillary?

I"m not really sure yet. Since I'm not a republican (or democrat if you're keeping score at home), I have no dog in this race until the general election*. I'm pretty much only paying attention to most of the republican debates for one reason... comedy.

But, if someone put a gun in a little girl refugee's hand and that little girl pointed it at my head... Kasich?

I guess I absolutely only know that Trump and Carson (and probably Fiorini, but she has no shot for the top of the ticket I think) will not get my vote unless something drastic happens. Then again, it's early, the current debates of either party aren't geared towards voters like me. I get that.

* As an unregistered voter here in NH, I can register in either party's primary on primary day. I can't decide whether voting for Bernie or Trump would result in more hilarious teeth-gnashing.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    Being a car owner is also a choice.

Being a gun owner is a right guaranteed by the constitution. Being a car owner is a privilege.

We register, title and plate a car to generate revenue to pay for the roads, bridges etc. we all use...A privilege granted by the government if you can pass the tests.

By your logic we should be registering knives.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not a bad idea. [cough*cough]Lorena Bobbit[cough*cough]

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,809 Senior Member
    Being a car owner is also a choice.

Being a gun owner is a right guaranteed by the constitution. Being a car owner is a privilege.

We register, title and plate a car to generate revenue to pay for the roads, bridges etc. we all use...A privilege granted by the government if you can pass the tests.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Much frothing here...

What are the chances Trump is playing all of us? He was probably sitting in his penthouse reading The Times article and laughing his **** off while trying not to spill his $100.00/glass scotch.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,607 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Much frothing here...

What are the chances Trump is playing all of us? He was probably sitting in his penthouse reading The Times article and laughing his **** off while trying not to spill his $100.00/glass scotch.
    I've thought the same thing.

I do wish Biden would run. I think a Biden/Trump debate would be awesome.

OTOH it would mean we'd have either Pres. Trump or Pres. Biden....
    OTOH it would mean we'd have either Pres. Trump or Pres. Biden....
    I'd take Biden. I'd take Sanders. None of the Republicans thrill me. Even the two I had considered a few months ago have lost me.

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,957 Senior Member

You do not have to register a car. Now if you want to drive on a public road then yes registration is required.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    You do not have to register a car.

While I don't like the gun-car comparison, you do have to register your car. For most people a car is useless unless it is used on public roads. That being the case, then for practical purposes, you must register.

FishTX wrote: »
    While I don't like the gun-car comparison, you do have to register your car. For most people a car is useless unless it is used on public roads. That being the case, then for practical purposes, you must register.

As silly as the gun comparison was you do not have to register a car.
    Trump's an idiot;

Is anyone arguing this?
    Buford wrote: »
    As silly as the gun comparison was you do not have to register a car.

How many people do you know who own a car/truck for off road use only and limit travel by public roads to public transport, bicycles and walking? Probably a handful at most. I'll bet greater than 95% of car owners drive public roads only. They have to register their cars. While you are technically correct, for all intensive purposes, you are wrong.

FishTX wrote: »

In California you have to register it even if you do not drive it, same in New York.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.