Is it disrespectful to US troops...?

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
So since the French bombed some ISIS targets today in retaliation for the Paris attacks, I've noticed a huge number of Facebook friends posting links to the news story, which is understandable -- but often annotating the links with comments like "at least the French president has some balls" or stuff like that. The impression one gets is that they think that US troops have not been flying sorties against ISIS, and Obama has just had them standing around watching.

Given that US forces have flown thousands of sorties including hundreds of bombing runs and dozens of A-10 sorties, is that being dismissive of what the US troops have done? It seems to me that in a desire to paint Obama in a bad light, people are simply denying the risks that our pilots have taken, which seems a little disrespectful, not to mention disingenuous.

what say y'all?

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,967 Senior Member
    I would agree, but I'm not sure how many are aware of all the sorties. If they have the knowledge, yet ignore it, then it is disrespectful.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,957 Senior Member
    It's not disrespectful of the troops after all they do what Captain clueless instructs. Myself I have no confidence in the guy leading this country and the replacements we are looking at are just as disappointing. Pray for America.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,725 Senior Member
    Their hatred has made them blind and stupid. This why we have panel of know nothings running so successfully for the Republican nomination. They also ignored a successful strike against the leadership in Lebanon and the fall of a strategically important city.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    . This why we have panel of know nothings running so successfully for the Republican nomination.

The same goes with the Democrat nomination. All we have is a s!!t sandwich.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    I'll add Wayne to your list, Scott. 😎
    I have a skiing buddy over in that area providing operational support to the flyers and one of my flying friends whom I work with just got back.
    If they think Obama is doing nothing, direct them here and show them some of Ed's posts v

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    More people have killed this year in US schools than in Paris. So tell us again how powerful they are.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/13/middleeast/iraq-free-sinjar-isis/
    But the capture of Sinjar -- which is on a highway connecting ISIS' territory in Syria to its largest conquered city, Mosul in Iraq -- is a step toward dividing the "caliphate" that ISIS claims it has been establishing across portions of the two countries.

The Peshmerga, which protect Iraq's Kurdish region in the country's north and northeast, have been among the more effective forces opposing ISIS in Iraq. Barzani told reporters Friday that Sinjar is a step toward a future liberation of Mosul, which ISIS took in 2014.

"Without doubt, the liberation of Sinjar will have a large effect on the liberation of Mosul," Barzani said of Iraq's second-largest city.

Interesting to note however when 133 Parisians are killed by crazed gunmen Republicans say we need to respond immediately. But when our children are murdered while sitting at their desks, there is nothing that can be done.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,607 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    I would agree, but I'm not sure how many are aware of all the sorties. If they have the knowledge, yet ignore it, then it is disrespectful.
    I agree with this. I don't think some folks know what's actually going on. Others: yeah, it's partisanship. One of the great cancers on our political system.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    I talked with Ed and he thinks we need to send in more drones.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,873 Senior Member
    I'm so old I remember when "politics stops at the water's edge" was not just something you read about in very old books.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    That ended when people accused Clinton of wagging the dog.

But I also remember not so long ago that criticizing a president's policy meant you did not support the troops and you were a traitor. I guess that ended about 7 years ago.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 985 Senior Member

I suspect that many people are simply not aware of the air campaign we have been been waging against ISIS. In fact, how many people know that just a day or two prior to the attacks in Paris it sounds like one of our drones got Jihadi John, the guy who decapitated, on camera, several hostages, including at least one if not more Americans.

IMO President Obama has, for the most part, been handling the matter properly. We simply cannot get involved in a major ground war in the Middle East with ISIS and/or mount a ground intervention in the Syrian civil war. It is what ISIS wants, and to be successful it would require the deployment of hundreds of thousands of troops and require that we occupy Syria (and re-occupy Iraq) for many, many years. A relentless, withering air campaign, which we HAVE been conducting, coupled with targeted commando raids is the appropriate response at this time.
    Others: yeah, it's partisanship. One of the great cancers on our political system.
    We are too busy trying find fault with the other guy, to see what we have in common. There are times when neither side is wrong. We just have differing solutions to the problem. Hate prevents us from listening to what the other side has to say. You can't listen and form your argument against the other side at the same time.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,607 Senior Member
    We are too busy trying find fault with the other guy, to see what we have in common. There are times when neither side is wrong. We just have differing solutions to the problem. Hate prevents us from listening to what the other side has to say. You can't listen and form your argument against the other side at the same time.
    Very true. But we've allowed ourselves to be convinced that the opposing party is the greatest enemy this country has. Granted one side has fallen for this more readily than the other, but it does exist on both sides. The prevalence differs.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,200 Senior Member
    I'm kind of surprised that with as many sorties as we have been flying or the last several month how the French had such a readily available target. Maybe they had some new intelligence. I haven't been keeping track of the bombing campaign we are running but I would have thought any known ISIS installations would have already been leveled. And if that is the case I think a fair question is why not?
    jbilly wrote: »
    ... but I would have thought any known ISIS installations would have already been leveled. And if that is the case I think a fair question is why not?

Maybe the answer is this one was a relatively new location set up after the previous HQ was flattened.

That ended when people accused Clinton of wagging the dog.

But I also remember not so long ago that criticizing a president's policy meant you did not support the troops and you were a traitor. I guess that ended about 7 years ago.

Were the traitors executed? I certainly hope so.
    Buford wrote: »
    Were the traitors executed? I certainly hope so.
    Apparently not, since you are talking to them.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,200 Senior Member
    Maybe the answer is this one was a relatively new location set up after the previous HQ was flattened.

Agreed, Like I said maybe France had intelligence we didn't. Maybe there are more knonw targets out there than have been hit, I really don't know. Just poinintg out it seemed a bit odd to me.

I don't know the answer.

An interesting graphic on the situation:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/09/isis-territory-map-us-campaign/404776/

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/08/07/430151358/after-a-year-of-bombing-isis-u-s-campaign-shows-just-limited-gains

But like any other war, an air campaign alone wont finish it (and lets face it it might never get finished no matter what).

Personally I am glad that the French are getting more involved. The more bombs on top of these azzhats the better.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Training and equipping the Kurds, Iraqis and Syrians will end the war faster than any aerial attacks..

Mike

Forgot the Afghans.. It's hard keeping track..
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 985 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    Training and equipping the Kurds, Iraqis and Syrians will end the war faster than any aerial attacks..

That is true
    Apparently not, since you are talking to them.

You are a traitor? Must be a bizarro world thing.
    You are a traitor? Must be a bizarro world thing.

A lot of people on this board questioned Bush's policies and many more hated us for it. Maybe you weren't around then.

By that mentality I would be a traitor. I didn't like some of his Bush's policy's and I'm certainly not happy with the yahoo we have now.
    jbilly wrote: »
    Agreed, Like I said maybe France had intelligence we didn't. Maybe there are more knonw targets out there than have been hit, I really don't know. Just poinintg out it seemed a bit odd to me.

I don't know the answer.

An interesting graphic on the situation:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/09/isis-territory-map-us-campaign/404776/

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/08/07/430151358/after-a-year-of-bombing-isis-u-s-campaign-shows-just-limited-gains

But like any other war, an air campaign alone wont finish it (and lets face it it might never get finished no matter what).

Personally I am glad that the French are getting more involved. The more bombs on top of these azzhats the better.

That article is from 4 months ago. Since then we have killed several leaders and ISIS has lost ground.

BTW the targeting packages the French used were from us. Those installations actually had been evacuated long ago and were more symbolic in nature. This is going to be a long fight and as the President keeps saying it will not be successful as long as it looks like the western powers against the middle east, something Bush and the Republicans have never understood. The Arab countries have more at stake than we do, ISIS has killed far more of their people than any westerners or Russians.
    By that mentality I would be a traitor.

Would you like a last cigarette and a blindfold?

Would you like a last cigarette and a blindfold?
    We can accommodate you.
    We can accommodate you.

I was asking you if you wanted them. Notice it is reply to your quote. ;)

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member

Post of the year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.