Unaffordable Care Act

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,941 Senior Member
    They said you were going to buy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I'm actually interviewing them as part of my Death Panel review. It's like a trick last meal, with the added benefit that I'll be expensing the meal to the taxpayer.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    This turning into a kinda Brian's Mom type thread..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ricinus wrote: »

Mike

The difference is that it's much less than $125 a month to get f-ed in those threads.
    So since you're in WI let's go fat biking together tomorrow OK? I'll probably be doing some grouse hunting as well. We can ride and shoot!

Deal? I promise not to "Cheney" you.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,174 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    The difference is that it's much less than $125 a month to get f-ed in those threads.

But you better have health care when you do it, because you are going to catch stuff they haven't even discovered yet.
    Joe K. wrote: »
    So since you're in WI let's go fat biking together tomorrow OK? I'll probably be doing some grouse hunting as well. We can ride and shoot!

Deal? I promise not to "Cheney" you.

Aim for the collar bone, it is a weak spot. It is just like shooting whomp rats.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    not much of a fan of the insults here.

So Joe where do your in laws live? Here in Wisconsin? If so it may have helped them if Walker had taken the money and had set up an exchange. They did those things in Minn and the price is lower...last time I looked. One severe illness, and it won't matter if they can pay or not, anything they now have they'll lose. That's not the fault of the Affordable Care act. Just maybe it's all those Drs and Lawyers who are so heavily invested in the "healthcare" corporations...which by the way aren't in it to help anyone, just their own bank accounts. Is the Affordable Care Act taking those insurance premiums people are forced to pay going to the fed, or the private insurer? Just tell them to go to the emergency room whenever possible, then you and I can both help them out.

I forgot, you make it on your own, if not suffer, too bad. Maybe they should ask one of those thousand points of light to help them. I identify with them, though I have insurance for one more year and own our house, but you or anyone are just one bad break out of the "poorhouse." We all know medicare and medicaid won't prevent it, and anyway your guys want to get rid of them. Guess how affordable insurance is going to be if they get their wish. Keep votin' for them and keep waiting for your guys to come up with anything to solve the problem other than privatization. We know well how that's been working out.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,311 Senior Member
    BTW I haven't paid a thing all year towards repairing damaged vehicles, so I guess I don't need car insurance.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Wetdog wrote: »

So Joe where do your in laws live? Here in Wisconsin? If so it may have helped them if Walker had taken the money and had set up an exchange. They did those things in Minn and the price is lower...last time I looked. One severe illness, and it won't matter if they can pay or not, anything they now have they'll lose. That's not the fault of the Affordable Care act. Just maybe it's all those Drs and Lawyers who are so heavily invested in the "healthcare" corporations...which by the way aren't in it to help anyone, just their own bank accounts. Is the Affordable Care Act taking those insurance premiums people are forced to pay going to the fed, or the private insurer? Just tell them to go to the emergency room whenever possible, then you and I can both help them out.

I forgot, you make it on your own, if not suffer, too bad. Maybe they should ask one of those thousand points of light to help them. I identify with them, though I have insurance for one more year and own our house, but you and anyone is just one bad break out of the "poorhouse." We all know medicare and medicaid won't prevent it, and anyway your guys want to get rid of them. Guess how affordable insurance is going to be if they get their wish. Keep votin' for them and keep waiting for your guys to come up with anything to solve the problem other than privatization. We know well how that's been working out.

They live in WI in the Minocqua area.

They did those things in MN but that's not working out so well either.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/10/01/major-hikes-expected-as-state-releases-2016-insurance-rates/

When my in-laws got insurance last year I was happy for them since it was the first time in their lives they have had health insurance. I even became a half hearted fan of ACA knowing this helped them. Unfortunately it seems it's not going to be the panacea that everyone thought it was going to be.

Another co-op is closing by the end of the year, leaving more with out insurance. Utah is now the 10th one to close. A billion+dollars of federal loans down the tubes.

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20151027/NEWS/151029892

If insuring more people and making it affordable was the goal, I don't see that it's working. Open enrollment starts next week...My wife has a large list of clients to call that are angry their premiums through their plans on the exchange went up. She will be trying to find them new plans with a hopefully lower price.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    You have to remember the ACC is just a shell of what was intended and proposed. Your guys gutted just about anything where citizens could gain. The ACC is just a shell now. It was set up to fail by the republican congress. It's still the industry we have to look at, not some gutted law. This is not about "politics" which most of you think it is.

You're not answering my other points. And, give me your plan, none of the guys you support have one that will benefit everyone.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    They live in WI in the Minocqua area.

Minocqua is Iroquois for drunk on Tom Collins. Tell your inlaws that by saving $25 a month, they can put a down payment on a new liver by Easter. They'll need it.

Absolutely agree. Joe owes us all an apology.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,693 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »

Mike

Only dumber. Good thing the mods aren't paying attention.

No, wait!
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    George K wrote: »
    Only dumber. Good thing the mods aren't paying attention.

No, wait!

BTW - Here's an article with maps and graphs to show the effects of the ACA two years in, and of States expanding Medicaid or not. The gist of it is that if you are poor and live in the South, the Southwest or most of Montana you are far less likely to have health insurance.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/31/upshot/who-still-doesnt-have-health-insurance-obamacare.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

I think I found out what's going on... there are no borders around wisconsin in this map, so Joe's inlaws are actually canadians.
    I think I found out what's going on... there are no borders around wisconsin in this map, so Joe's inlaws are actually canadians.

Don't they already get health care for free? I think they just tricked you into a free lunch.
    Holy messiah wood! Joe, you owe me $12.99.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member

Oh no, you're not dumping Wisconsin on us.. Montana maybe, but not Wisconsin..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    Ha. I'm just getting to it. Dumb is an understatement.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,942 Senior Member
    BTW I haven't paid a thing all year towards repairing damaged vehicles, so I guess I don't need car insurance.

The Illegal aliens agree with this.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    You have to remember the ACC is just a shell of what was intended and proposed. Your guys gutted just about anything where citizens could gain. The ACC is just a shell now. It was set up to fail by the republican congress. It's still the industry we have to look at, not some gutted law. This is not about "politics" which most of you think it is.

You're not answering my other points. And, give me your plan, none of the guys you support have one that will benefit everyone.

Nah. The ACA is a bad copy of a compromised deal written largely by the insurance companies.

ACA was just a power grab and wasn't about making things affordable. The democrats want single-payer, socialized medicine. Their path to that is to make everything else worse than it was. The more people become dissatisfied with this cluster the more the public will demand something different. Slapping a title of "affordable" on it doesn't make it true, and this was never about making health care "affordable". Their plan is working brilliantly.

Since only 15% of the population is/was uninsured I've often thought a simple expansion of medicaid to cover the uninsured would have been the best route instead of the cluster we have now that affects everyone ..
    Medicaid expansion was on the table and conservatives lost their minds.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    My in-laws became insured through the exchange last year. After subsidy they had to pay $25/month. They just received a letter this week that the premium is jumping to $125/month. Now they are thinking of just dropping insurance all together.

my wife and I opted to ignore Obamacare and keep the insurance I had when I was employed at the National Lab -- as a retiree, it is unsubsidized by my former employer, but it is good insurance, so we've stuck with it.

we pay $890/month for medical and another $90 for dental.

my heart bleeds for anyone paying $125/mo.

no. seriously. It really does.

that's why we kept our expensive insurance. That **** is expensive.
    Right? I mean what did they want, free?
    Joe - Is the $125 for insurance, or for a Medicare supplement?
    my wife and I opted to ignore Obamacare and keep the insurance I had when I was employed at the National Lab -- as a retiree, it is unsubsidized by my former employer, but it is good insurance, so we've stuck with it.

we pay $890/month for medical and another $90 for dental.

my heart bleeds for anyone paying $125/mo.

no. seriously. It really does.

that's why we kept our expensive insurance. That **** is expensive.

Obviously you make enough to afford to pay $12,000/year for insurance.
    Joe - Is the $125 for insurance, or for a Medicare supplement?

Standard Health Insurance. They aren't old enough for Medicare yet.

$125/month after subsidy through the health care exchange. They are paying $25/month after subsidy right now until January 1, 2016.

May not seem like much to some people, but to others it becomes a struggle to balance paying health insurance and other bills.
    Standard Health Insurance. They aren't old enough for Medicare yet.

$125/month after subsidy through the health care exchange. They are paying $25/month after subsidy right now until January 1, 2016.

May not seem like much to some people, but to others it becomes a struggle to balance paying health insurance and other bills.

Did they have health insurance at all before the ACA. Especially as we age, health insurance should be considered a necessary expense. I understand that an extra $100 a month can be a struggle for some people, and - from my own experience - that parents may not accept help from children no matter the need or the child's ability to assist them, but perhaps the children can find other ways to help. My parents, absolutely refused to accept money from me, bu after a lot of discussion they allowed me to buy new kitchen appliances and a washer and dryer.

My wife and I, both just past 70, pay about $750 a month for Medicare, Federal BC/BS and dental insurance. It's worth it to us. Between October last year and August of this one we ran up hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills. Without good insurance it would have been ruinous.
    My in-laws became insured through the exchange last year. After subsidy they had to pay $25/month. They just received a letter this week that the premium is jumping to $125/month. Now they are thinking of just dropping insurance all together.

Joe,
    If they do drop it how badly will they get hit by the penalty for not being insured? If memory serves me I believe the penalty goes up quite a bit this year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.