Income inequality

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,927 Senior Member
The money system is eliminating the middle class.

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/more_than_half_of_all_americans_make_under_30000_dollars_a_year_20151027

More Than Half of U.S. Wage Earners Make Under $30,000 a Year, According to a Shocking New Report

Posted on Oct 27, 2015

Wage statistics for 2014, recently released by the Social Security Administration, provide proof to the claim we all feared was true: The middle class is actually disappearing. As the online publication Washington’s Blog notes, 51 percent of U.S. workers in 2014 made less than $2,500 a month before taxes—which is below the poverty line for a family of five. What’s worse is that as the numbers in the original report are parsed, other stunning facts become clear. For instance, the fact that nearly 40 percent of Americans aren’t even making $30,000 but rather are earning closer to $20,000. Or that 70 percent of workers made less than $50,000 in 2014.

All of this just illustrates in vivid detail how far the wealth gap in the U.S. has widened. We’ve gotten to the point where the majority of U.S. citizens are barely making enough to make ends meet, and let’s face it, most aren’t even scraping by.

The “raw” average wage, computed as net compensation divided by the number of wage earners, is $7,050,259,213,644.55 divided by 158,186,786, or $44,569.20. Based on data in the table below, about 67.2 percent of wage earners had net compensation less than or equal to the $44,569.20 raw average wage. By definition, 50 percent of wage earners had net compensation less than or equal to the median wage, which is estimated to be $28,851.21 for 2014.

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    High paying manufacturing jobs have been outsourced overseas. What's left is low paying jobs in the service sectors..

Thank the Donalds..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,725 Senior Member
    Who has a family of 5 anymore and how many of them have only one parent working?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    ricinus wrote: »
    High paying manufacturing jobs have been outsourced overseas. What's left is low paying jobs in the service sectors..

Thank the Donalds..

Mike

All the more reason to bring back unions and raise the minimum wage.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-21/this-is-what-raising-the-minimum-wage-did-to-jobs-in-11-states
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    If you are already make so little that you do not pay taxes, how is the tax code going to help. His argument is better suited to a situation where the 1% isn't taking 99% of the profits.
  • All the more reason to bring back tarriffs and trade restrictions

Fixed for accuracy
    If you think it will work.
  • No, in the long run it would be terrible, bringing back unions and raising the minimum wage isn't going to stop outsourcing.
    However if we insisted on workers rights and protections in all future trade agreements it would be easier for Americans to compete. I have no problem with outsourcing. We can just manufacture more expensive goods. I have a problem with offshoring and leaving those workers in abject poverty.

Also you cannot outsource construction and many other jobs. It is only a matter of time however when they can offshore your job, maybe you should not be so short sighted.
  • Also you cannot outsource construction and many other jobs. It is only a matter of time however when they can offshore your job, maybe you should not be so short sighted.

FWIW, they can't even offshore my assistant's job. Goldman Sach tried it. Abject failure.
    However if we insisted on workers rights and protections in all future trade agreements it would be easier for Americans to compete.

We already do this. All agreements since 2001 and some earlier, like NAFTA, have labor provisions monitored by a subsection of the Department of Labor.
    Very weak labor provisions. You wait, you could soon be training someone in Burundi to do your job.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    "Mumbai Actuary, Steven speaking."

offshore-outsourcing-to-india-2.jpg
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,878 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    "Mumbai Actuary, Steven speaking."

offshore-outsourcing-to-india-2.jpg

Ha!

. . . .

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Actuaries probably could be outsourced, except the Indians would have to study at Drake, Iowa, Iowas State or Indiana and then just stay.
  • Very weak labor provisions. You wait, you could soon be training someone in Burundi to do your job.

If we can't do "better" it may be because our trading partners realize the only competitive advantage they have is in labor.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    Auto plants build in the south to avoid unions. The people there don't even want them.

“I see no need for union representation,” says Adrian Leslie, line worker at Volkswagen’s Chattanooga plant. “We are being treated fairly here.”

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/10/uaw-not-welcome-in-the-south/

http://www.ibtimes.com/why-mercedes-benz-ditching-new-jersey-moving-south-1774770

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/06/15/auto-jobs-mexico/71224972/

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/29/business/la-fi-0329-autos-unions-20110329

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I wonder how many of Adrian's benefits were the result of union contracts elsewhere.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Steven wrote: »
    If we can't do "better" it may be because our trading partners realize the only competitive advantage they have is in labor.

Or maybe because corporations favor a weak labor force, we don't want to do better.
  • You're absolutely right. It's what attracts corporations to these places to begin with.

So, let's suppose I'm the PM of India. I may really want to set the minimum wage at $20 per hour, but then I'd probably realize that Western companies wouldn't come to Mumbai.

It's all about economics and stuff.
    If a living wage in Mumbai is still lower than a living wage in the US, they will still want to go there, especially if it opens up new markets in Asia.
    It's all about greed, exploitation and stuff.

Fixed it for ya
    I wonder how many of Adrian's benefits were the result of union contracts elsewhere.

Mike

Exactly

Not to mention VW has a different management philosophy than most.
    At most VW plants worldwide, union contracts govern pay and benefits. Local “works councils”—elected bodies representing both blue-collar workers and management—also review company financial information and shape policies on staffing and scheduling. Most plants also send delegates to a companywide works council, which helps make global decisions like where to expand production. “They really do see as their competitive advantage that they involve people in their management of their company,” says Kristin Dziczek, who directs the Industry & Labor Group at the nonprofit Center for Automotive Research.
  • If a living wage in Mumbai is still lower than a living wage in the US, they will still want to go there, especially if it opens up new markets in Asia.

And if they still go there, how exactly are you bringing back unions?

So, I'll just say I what I said originally. You want to make unions strong, bring back tariffs.
    And if they still go there, how exactly are you bringing back unions?

So, I'll just say I what I said originally. You want to make unions strong, bring back tariffs.

I am saying bring unions to Mumbai.

I have no problem with jobs going overseas. I have a problem with paying those employees pennies per day with no regard for workplace safety. The fact that you think American workers should compete with that only demonstrates what an oligarch you really are.

But sure bring back tariffs.

Mike

In all honesty, I wonder how much Faux News Adrian watches. It baffles the mind how the working class has turned their backs on labor organizations.
    It baffles the mind how the working class has turned their backs on labor organizations.

No good reason to join a union

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2015/04/14/Why-78-Million-Millennials-Are-Choosing-Non-Union-Jobs
    The article states that union dues are as much as 4% of your gross income. What horseshit.
    Also, the article states no reasons other than right-to-work laws are crushing unions and that unions are on the decline in general. Once again, I postulate that, in part, these people see the very unions that would fight for their wages and benefits to be the enemy.

Can't wait to we have some labor riots again so I club some rightwad with a baseball bat like he was a baby seal. Not you, of course, Joe!!
    The article states that union dues are as much as 4% of your gross income. What horseshit.

Doesn't sound far off.

Dues structures vary widely from union to union. The United Auto Workers, for example, generally charges the equivalent of two hours’ straight-time pay per month. Other unions charge a fixed monthly rate, or a percentage of members’ pay (generally 5% or less, and more often 1-3%, though higher and lower rates aren’t uncommon).

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/12/17/closer-look-at-union-vs-nonunion-workers-wages/
    Also, the article states no reasons other than right-to-work laws are crushing unions and that unions are on the decline in general. Once again, I postulate that, in part, these people see the very unions that would fight for their wages and benefits to be the enemy.

Maybe if unions spent money on their members instead of Democrat politicians they would be more attractive?

Would you want to work for an employer who ignores your contributions? What about one who only promotes on seniority? The answer to these questions explains why union membership keeps falling: unions have not adapted to the modern workplace.

http://www.heritage.org/research/commentary/2013/1/why-union-membership-is-declining

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.