Canadians Don't Learn

Replies

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    No Steven, I laugh all the time if there is something funny. I think I've been here exactly three days in the last four or six months, My "rants"...well do you think by being all polite and fooling myself into thinking that a rational debate on points is possible? It never has before. It's always I am right your wrong here. All I am doing is pointing out the things republicans choose to ignore about their party. Do you possibly think that if I just had a thread on voter suppression or gerrymandering any of you would reply, to defend or criticize party responsibility. No, because you guys come here to laugh at a bunch of juvenile crap, or to slam dems (which I am not one). Yes sir I am far worse than you;).
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    Hextall wrote: »
    Guys, none of you are all that great. Nobody is. We're all just skinbags of rotting meat on our slow spiral down irrelevance.

Eat Arby's.

truth

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,317 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Tough to draw a conclusion since we don't know what Gore, Kerry, McCain or Romney would have been like as Presidents.

We do know that Bush was an utter and complete failure. So why would you vote for someone who professed in their campaigns they would pursue the exact same policies? Could it be a stubborn resistance to learning from history?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Since you've met me in real life, I'll assume the corollary applies. I'll rule out ever fishing with you again.

Given you just called him a miserable SOB, do you think that bothers him?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    there is no learning from history, esp when your failures are blamed on the dems for not allowing them everything they want. If they had, the world would be perfect like it is in Kansas and Wisconsin.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Guys... I'm available to go fishing. guys?
    Given you just called him a miserable SOB, do you think that bothers him?

Personally I find it sad that steven is so defensive. Doesn't he believe in his party enough to defend the gerrymandering and voter suppression? .
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I'm not rotting, I just passed gas..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member

Great idea. Let's meet at Chris' house.. The fishing sucks but at least it's warm..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    When the rain picks up, we could meet on the Kern or the Owens. We could hook up with Kuni, he seems to like Hat Creek.
    Hey how is kuni doing? I was wondering about him.
    He seems to be deeply involved in the Manzanar history. He posts a lot about that. He also has gotten to fish in Montana and out west quite a bit. He is on Facebook sporadically. If you choose to you can have a nice experience there and you can see more of Scott's pics. I like it because it keeps me in touch with family I do not talk to on a daily basis.

I will say this also, Brian and his wife have a very fun and interesting relationship. Something I did not learn until Facebook. They crack me up.
    Thanks Chris. oh god, facebook?;) I have to admit that I've found a reason or two to come back on facebook, I might.
  • Wetdog wrote: »
    I think I've been here exactly three days in the last four or six months.

So, I shoud spend my day doing what exactly? Going over with you the same **** we've gone over time and time again, because today you decide to deign us with your presence?

There's lots of **** I don't like about the Republican party. I don't like populism. I don't like the attempts to not raise the debt ceiling. I don't like the anti-science (although I'm not sold on man-made global warming and for every global warming denier there's a Dem living on the East or West Coast who won't get his kid innoculated). I don't like the religious bent (although I think it's just as wrong to say religion doesn't matter -freedom of exercise is a right). I despise the anti-homosexuality (while recognizing that some people might have problems with it - like the Pope for instance - and that's their right). I hate the anti-immigrant fear - it's stupid and harmful.

I prefer the pro-business bent of the Republican Party. I prefer the pro-trade agenda. I think these are overall good for the nation. And while I believe freer markets are better than less free, I recognize the problem of the commons. That said, I believe markets are better at solving the problems of the world than are governments.

Democrats have good intentions - I truly believe this. But the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and we've gone down that road too many **** times. This week's example is the ACA and the failure of a number of Health Co-ops. They were supposed to lower the cost of insurance - but nobody with a better than C grade in Econ 2 should have bought this. That's nearly $1 billion, so far, that we'll never see again.

I don't believe in a free lunch. I believe the laws of economics are immutable. Demand curves slope down. Supply curves slope up.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,943 Senior Member

I went last weekend...

20151018_145642.jpg
    Thank you for that Steven.
    Joe K. wrote: »
    I went last weekend...

20151018_145642.jpg

it doesn't have boobs.......
    for every global warming denier there's a Dem living on the East or West Coast who won't get his kid innoculated).

In fairness the only candidates that suggest that parents should be allowed to not get their kids inoculated have been Republicans.
    They were supposed to lower the cost of insurance - but nobody with a better than C grade in Econ 2 should have bought this. That's nearly $1 billion, so far, that we'll never see again.

Just like your comment on presidential hopefuls. We have no way of knowing that premiums would not have gone up faster.

BTW your laws have proven mutable many many times.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Hmmm....

20151018_145642.jpg

giphy.gif
  • Just like your comment on presidential hopefuls. We have no way of knowing that premiums would not have gone up faster.

BTW your laws have proven mutable many many times.

Actually you're wrong.

I'm SURE the co-ops kept premiums lower than they would have been otherwise, but the laws of economics are immutable and close to half the co-ops have gone bankrupt. Premiums will go where they're economically supposed to be (private plans are raising premiums at double digit rate increases), and it will have cost us a $1 billion or more to get where we would have been anyway.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,585 Senior Member
    Nice rainbow, Joe!!!

Serious question, Steven: How are you going to reconcile your future diminished fishing/outdoor experiences (and it will happen/is happening) with your political beliefs? Your party, in a general sense, is not just ambivalent on environmental issues, they are hostile to environmental causes. Perhaps Joe could chime in as well.
    Thanks!
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,585 Senior Member
    And Wetdog, Joe doesn't have **** because he has been riding his bike a lot; he's probably in the best shape of any of us. Hextall on the other hand is still a B cup, if I had to guess.
    Actually you're wrong.

I'm SURE the co-ops kept premiums lower than they would have been otherwise, but the laws of economics are immutable and close to half the co-ops have gone bankrupt. Premiums will go where they're economically supposed to be (private plans are raising premiums at double digit rate increases), and it will have cost us a $1 billion or more to get where we would have been anyway.

And insurance rates were increasing at double digit rates for years long before the ACA.
  • Shawn C. wrote: »
    Nice rainbow, Joe!!!

Serious question, Steven: How are you going to reconcile your future diminished fishing/outdoor experiences (and it will happen/is happening) with your political beliefs? Your party, in a general sense, is not just ambivalent on environmental issues, they are hostile to environmental causes. Perhaps Joe could chime in as well.
    Thanks!

Just so I'm clear here, you think unions are environmentally friendly?

People can't live without water and air, but people can't live without money. How do you reconcile environmental issues that can hurt jobs?

Fracking hurts the environment. Fracking has created jobs and helped the economy. Which is more important? Beats me.
  • And insurance rates were increasing at double digit rates for years long before the ACA.

Yep. That's economics.
    The point is that ACA tried to stop that, failed, and cost $1 billion to boot. Any college freshman could have called it.
    So jobs override the need for clean air and water?
  • So jobs override the need for clean air and water?

If you didn't have a job, it would.

But what is it about the words "Beats me" that you didn't understand?
    Yep. That's economics.
    The point is that ACA tried to stop that, failed, and cost $1 billion to boot. Any college freshman could have called it.

The price hikes in the ACA market have been better than projections and the uninsured rate has decreased. Fixing the ACA is necessary and possible. Dumping it or not doing any health care reform at all it is just stupid.

You cannot say for certain that it is not better than it would have been.
    If you didn't have a job, it would.

But what is it about the words "Beats me" that you didn't understand?

If I lost my house because of a poisoned well and my children had cancer from drinking from that well, a job wouldn't matter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.