Home The Lodge

The Pope

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 3,077 Senior Member
I liked his message today at the joint session of Congress.

"Being at the service of dialogue and peace also means being truly determined to minimize and, in the long term, to end the many armed conflicts throughout our world. Here we have to ask ourselves: Why are deadly weapons being sold to those who plan to inflict untold suffering on individuals and society? Sadly, the answer, as we all know, is simply for money: money that is drenched in blood, often innocent blood. In the face of this shameful and culpable silence, it is our duty to confront the problem and to stop the arms trade."

Replies

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,181 Senior Member
    So would it be okay to sell them arms if we were getting energy credits for them instead of money? Just checkin'.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 3,077 Senior Member
    Of course not.
    I haven't seen any of the tv pundits mention the Pope saying stop the arms trade.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Which channels and which pundits are you watching?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,508 Senior Member
    Russia Times and America Sucks.com
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Hextall wrote: »
    Which channels and which pundits are you watching?

CNN Blitzer, Cooper, and others on Fox, MSNBC. In between watching the FedEx Cup golf. I switch at commercials, If I don't switch, I mute all commercials, they all suck.
    Same thing on ABC, CBS, NBC evening news, No mention of the Pope saying "stop the arms trade".
    ABC has pundits? All of them have been showing his entire speeches.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    EdB wrote: »

... untold suffering on individuals and society?

A better questions would be "why does your omnibenevolent and omnipotent God continue to allow untold suffering to be inflicted on his children?"

But the real world answer is that Lockheed Martin has awesome lobbyists.
    What I think is more important is that the Pope has been willing to acknowledge the role that religion plays in all of this.
    What I think is more important is that the Pope has been willing to acknowledge the role that religion plays in all of this.

Don't get me wrong, I really like him. I'm an atheist, but I do realize the enormous clout his position carries and I honestly appreciate his advocating for the poor and against the over-indulgences of capitalism. He seems to hold the best virtues of Christianity.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Its always easy to urge someone else to give up their money. When the Vatican starts un-assing some of ITS BILLIONS he'll be more credible.
    That is a good point, Mr. Trap.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,937 Senior Member
    The pope has a good marketing team.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    The pope has a good marketing team.

Actually, a good product sells itself..;)

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,467 Senior Member
    Guys,

I bet he does not have a pollution control cheater chip on his vehicles.

One of the sharpest divides between the center and left on the one hand and the hard righties on the other is that the righties think only of their own welfare, not that of others, much less society as a whole. Bragging about putting cheater chips on your vehicle is indicative of this.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    Looky there. Culmination of so many years of KKK churchstate drug trafficking thieving US Constitution arsonists. The Christiananality mentality celebrates a Fourth Reich in triumph as if they are so dang lily brilliant white compared to **** Germany with censorship. Unamerican lodge.

The Pope also said this - But on issues of war and peace, Francis was unambiguous. He didn’t speak about only ending the arms trade. He also referred, albeit obliquely, to Washington’s war on terror and why it’s failing. “We know that in the attempt to be freed of the enemy without, we can be tempted to feed the enemy within,” he observed. “To imitate the hatred and violence of tyrants and murderers is the best way to take their place.”
    George K wrote: »
    Bragging about putting cheater chips on your vehicle is indicative of this.

Seriously George?

C'mon.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,956 Senior Member

The hard righties on the other is that the righties think only of their own welfare, not that of others, much less society as a whole.

Is that why most hard core righties are pro life because they care about their own welfare so much.
    Once the fetus is forced to term, they could give a **** if the kid starves to death. How is forcing a woman to carry to term and give birth to a still born child caring?
    jbilly wrote: »
    Is that why most hard core righties are pro life because they care about their own welfare so much.

Pro life as in opposing capital punishment?

Just wonderin'.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    Pro life as in opposing capital punishment?

Just wonderin'.

Well I am probably the wrong righty to ask since I am not part of the religious right and wouldn't be in the hard core category. I am ok with abortion and pro death penalty.
    Well I am probably the wrong righty to ask since I am not part of the religious right and wouldn't be in the hard core category. I am ok with abortion and pro death penalty.

So you're 50% pro life.
    So you're 50% pro life.

Probably more like a 25%er. ;)
    Probably more like a 25%er. ;)

Good to know. If you're ever on my jury I'll have my lawyer(s) do a peremptory challenge. :)
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Seriously George?

C'mon.

how else do you explain/rationalize it? Basically, a person who does this has made a conscious decision to say "f*ck the world and it's concerns, MY desires trump all that and I'm proud of that!"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,117 Senior Member
    Trump?

You did that on purpose, right?
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,854 Senior Member
    Trump?

You did that on purpose, right?
    Good catch.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    how else do you explain/rationalize it? Basically, a person who does this has made a conscious decision to say "f*ck the world and it's concerns, MY desires trump all that and I'm proud of that!"

And anyone that drives a gas powered vehicle or uses a gas powered lawn mower, snow blower etc is also making the conscious decision to say f*ck the world and it's concerns. It's hypocritical at best to b*tch about someone that uses a cheater chip to improve gas mileage at the expense of a few more emissions.

Good god...
    And anyone that drives a gas powered vehicle or uses a gas powered lawn mower, snow blower etc is also making the conscious decision to say f*ck the world and it's concerns. It's hypocritical at best to b*tch about someone that uses a cheater chip to improve gas mileage at the expense of a few more emissions.

Good god...

I am sorry but I live somewhere that has greatly improved air quality due those emission standards, so I am calling bull ****. Unless he is getting 10 miles more a gallon, it is not a wash. Plus I am betting he is doing it more for what he deems is better horsepower, not the extra mile and a half a gallon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement