Home The Lodge

Our Gallant Allies...

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 11,504 Senior Member
... and Recipients of Your Tax Dollars (and Mine). Long, but worth reading.

...Rampant sexual abuse of children has long been a problem in Afghanistan, particularly among armed commanders who dominate much of the rural landscape and can bully the population. The practice is called bacha bazi, literally “boy play,” and American soldiers and Marines have been instructed not to intervene — in some cases, not even when their Afghan allies have abused boys on military bases, according to interviews and court records...

...“The reason we were here is because we heard the terrible things the Taliban were doing to people, how they were taking away human rights,” said Dan Quinn, a former Special Forces captain who beat up an American-backed militia commander for keeping a boy chained to his bed as a sex slave. “But we were putting people into power who would do things that were worse than the Taliban did — that was something village elders voiced to me.”

The policy of instructing soldiers to ignore child sexual abuse by their Afghan allies is coming under new scrutiny, particularly as it emerges that service members like Captain Quinn have faced discipline, even career ruin, for disobeying it.

After the beating, the Army relieved Captain Quinn of his command and pulled him from Afghanistan. He has since left the military...

It gets worse. The second half of the article is even more depressing, and damning of our military high command, assuming of course that it is true.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/world/asia/us-soldiers-told-to-ignore-afghan-allies-abuse-of-boys.html?mabReward=A2&moduleDetail=recommendations-1&action=click&contentCollection=International%20Business&region=Footer&module=WhatsNext&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&src=recg&pgtype=article
The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    Our only role in Afghanistan should have been in killing Bin Laden. Once that was done we should have left.

That captain should have been given a promotion.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,148 Senior Member
    I know that when our military goes into an allied country we're not supposed to impose our morals and values on others.

This is one time where I don't agree with that idea. It's a shame the captain was drummed out of the service, they're trying to get that sergeant kicked out, and that our servicemen and women have to be around that sort of thing.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,963 Senior Member

+1.

I don't see how we can ask our troops to stand by and put up with this F*&$ing disgusting.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Guys, what if these boys looked like Beiber? I bet you'd change your tunes then.

[swimwalks into an afghanny pleasure hut, dies of anal fissures, goes to hell, sits next to sherb, he starts singing "Living on a prayer!", ironically the devil is a much bigger Stryper fan, sherb jettisoned to heaven, I'm stuck sitting next to beiber for all eternity. Could be worse.]
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Our only role in Afghanistan should have been in killing Bin Laden. Once that was done we should have left.

100 % agreed. Watch out for lightning strikes.
    Hex. how could it be worse? [just curious]
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    It could be you sitting next to me.

Edit: Come on... you can't tee it up like that and not expect me to swing at it.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    It could be you sitting next to me.

Edit: Come on... you can't tee it up like that and not expect me to swing at it.

Want to take a mulligan?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement