Home The Lodge

Starting to get discouraged

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 10,586 Senior Member
At the number of people in my Facebook feed who are supporting Trump. They are classic low information voters. One woman is so poor, I'm surprised she has internet service.

What is it about this guy that has them believe he's genuinely capable of not only winning, but being competent in the job? Here's a three minute transcript of a "speech" he gave.

"Wow. Amazing. Amazing, thank you. So exciting. Do you notice what's missing tonight? Teleprompters! [APPLAUSE] No teleprompters. We don't want teleprompters. That would be so much easier: we read a speech for 45 minutes, everybody falls asleep listening to the same old stuff, the same old lies. So much easier. So, you know, I have a little debate coming up on Wednesday. [APPLAUSE] I hear my... let's call them opponents. Can I call them opponents? We're allowed to do that, right? You know, New York was very nice to you people last night, you know that, right? [LAUGHTER] Did they hand you that game? [APPLAUSE] They handed it! I said, I am going to have the friendliest audience -- sit down -- I am going to have the friendliest audience. So I wasn't sure, was I happy or was I sad? But Jerry Jones is a great guy, and he deserves everything he gets, frankly. [APPLAUSE] And you know, another great guy is Mark Cuban. [APPLAUSE] And I think, you know, he's been talking about maybe doing this himself. And I think he'd do a great job. We don't have the exact same feelings about where we're going, but that's OK. But Mark was great. You know, he called me, like, literally a few days ago, and he said, "you know if you want to use the arena" -- which by the way is a beautiful arena [APPLAUSE] this a great arena -- and Dirk is a fantastic player [APPLAUSE] he's just a wonderful player -- and the Mavericks have been fantastic and it's just a great team -- but he said, "you know if you want to use the arena." And I said, "Mark, when?" He said "how 'bout Monday night?" It's like, that was like in four days. And you had a big holiday in between. And he said, "they really like you in Dallas, they really like you in Texas, maybe you can get a lot of people." [APPLAUSE] Because we were coming here, and we thought maybe we'd get a thousand people, but we never get a thousand anymore, it's always, like, the same thing. You know, we went to Alabama. We started off with a 500 person ballroom. And after about 2 minutes -- look at all these guys -- paparazzi, look at this [LAUGHTER] we've got everybody here. We started off, by the way, with a 500 person ballroom, and after about 2 minutes the hotel called up begging for mercy. "We can't do it!" They were inundated, so we went to convention center, and that was 10,000 and that was wiped out in about an hour. So we went to a stadium, we had 31 thousand people, which is by far the largest, they say, like, ever, for an early primary, and that's probably true.[APPLAUSE]"

Wow. My toddler could give a more coherent statement.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,508 Senior Member
    Seriously it is like watching a bad Kathy Griffin set.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    What is it about this guy that has them believe he's genuinely capable of not only winning, but being competent in the job?

I think most people are projecting onto Trump what they really want in a candidate (probably more accurately a 3rd party one). They want someone outside the system as they feel that the system is broken and populated by criminals helping criminals get rich or stay rich or turn us all muslim. They seem blind to Trumps shortcomings at actually being capable at the job of President.

I'm seeing some trump lawn signs around here in NH, and everytime I wonder what the f is going on. I bet there's a 1:1 correlation between a trump lawn sign and bleating about the overbearing PC culture.
    Here is the thing though, he is stuck on 30% of 40% of the electorate. What do you think is keeping the other 70% from supporting him? Is it because they haven't heard what he has to say?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Hextall wrote: »
    I'm seeing some trump lawn signs around here in NH, and everytime I wonder what the f is going on. I bet there's a 1:1 correlation between a trump lawn sign and bleating about the overbearing PC culture.

You are on fire today.
    You are on fire today.

I brought my calculator watch/bomb to work today for extra science in my jokes.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,117 Senior Member
    Not sure about all of the 70%, but I've noticed a few who don't like him because:
    1. There's no substance to his promises: he says what he'll do but no "how."
    2. He's inexperienced in government and will likely have problems with his own party and the Democrats.
    3. He's failed, and quite spectacularly, as well as he's succeeded. 4? bankruptcies?
    4. He's narcissistic enough to make Kanaloa look humble, and dumb enough to make SDD coherent.
    5. He used to advocate for things that would be in conflict with modern Republican thought (gun control, abortion, taxation, health care.)
    Plus other factors.

It's a combination of some or all of the above, from what I've seen.
    In either case he has been on tv every single day almost all day for a month now and he still has not convinced enough people in order for him to win a single primary.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,181 Senior Member
    I think most people are projecting onto Trump what they really want in a candidate (probably more accurately a 3rd party one). They want someone outside the system as they feel that the system is broken and populated by criminals helping criminals get rich or stay rich or turn us all muslim. They seem blind to Trumps shortcomings at actually being capable at the job of President.

DING, DING, DING, we have a winner. I think people are just tired of career politicians. They are nothing but a bunch of liars.
    Except so is Trump.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,937 Senior Member
    I brought my calculator watch/bomb to work today for extra science in my jokes.

Do you hit the C or CE key when you need to clear the bomb code?
    Except so is Trump.

ding ding ding.

I've read some people standing behind trump that had previously said that one of Obama's shortcomings is his narcissism. It's like they are shortterm memory patients or something.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,937 Senior Member
    My Facebook feed is filled with Bernie Sanders media. Haven't seen much if anything on Trump.

Then again...the majority of my friends are flaming liberals so it's not surprising.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk 2
    11225383_781382695304806_1810733486081029608_n.jpg?oh=e5b571e3a35daf8f7900ba0bd3287b84&oe=565FC10B
    Then there's that and his comments about John McCain not being a war hero...
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    There has always been an anti-career politician sentiment on the part of a large segment Republicans. A belief that people should work in the real world before going to Wall Street. It's also the same reason why a huge part of the party always responds positively to term limits.

It's also the reason why Ben Carson is rising and is now 2nd or 3rd in most polls. He offers the same thing Trump does - he's not a career politician - but without the craziness. We saw the same phenomenon in '12 with Herman Cain. He was leading the Republican polls until all the **** came out about his philandering.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

Wow. My toddler could give a more coherent statement.

Hell, Buffco. Saltydancingdave could! WQell, that might be a stretch.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,956 Senior Member
    In about a year and a half we will all be crying about what a **** Hairibou Ken was and how the GOP pissed away another election by not putting a sane candidate on the top.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    I'm not sure if any of you remember when Jesse Ventura was elected as Minnesota's Gov. I was living there when it happened and the same phenomenon that's happening now happened then. I was surprised that he won. I would be even more surprised if Trump gets the nomination.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

I'm not sure if any of you remember when Jesse Ventura was elected as Minnesota's Gov. I was living there when it happened and the same phenomenon that's happening now happened then. I was surprised that he won. I would be even more surprised if Trump gets the nomination.

I'm not sure what is worse. Him getting the nomination or being a big cry baby when he doesn't and going third party and tossing it all away.
    jbilly wrote: »
    I'm not sure what is worse. Him getting the nomination or being a big cry baby when he doesn't and going third party and tossing it all away.

He signed a pledge that he won't run if he loses the nomination.
    He also gave himself an out on that. But it would be very difficult to put together the necessary infrastructure to get himself on the ballot in all 50 states without the party.
    He signed a pledge that he won't run if he loses the nomination.

Yeah I know. Don't buy it for a second though
    jbilly wrote: »
    Yeah I know. Don't buy it for a second though
    But he's not a politician. Everyone knows you can't trust a politician. If he's not a politician, that means you can trust him, right?

I'm still thinking his "campaign" is an elaborate way of getting other folks to pay for his publicity.
    Good point. I would completely trust him with Hex's life
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »

It's also the reason why Ben Carson is rising and is now 2nd or 3rd in most polls.

I know this isn't going to be a popular position, but here it goes. A decent percentage of conservatives are mouth-breathing, Fox-watching racists. In the field I work in and the state I live in, I am in contact with a lot of them. So, here is why I predicted long ago that Ben Carson will win Iowa (flyover low-information state full of farmersonly.com account having racists). He is black. Many will throw their support behind him as a self affirmation of their false belief that they are not racist. "I'm not racist, I caucused for the black guy!"

Go ahead and flame away, but this is my belief.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    A lot of conservatives are mouth breathing, Fox watching racists.

And they are the only ones expressing an opinion right now. Even those that like Ben Carson will tell you, he is one of the good ones.

I am fully confident when the Republicans that are actually informed and reasonable start chiming in, this will come down to Kasich, Rubio, and Bush. Funny thing was the only one I saw say something intelligent on immigration last night was Lyndsey Graham. But then I only watched clips.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I know this isn't going to be a popular position, but here it goes. A decent percentage of conservatives are mouth-breathing, Fox-watching racists. In the field I work in and the state I live in, I am in contact with a lot of them. So, here is why I predicted long ago that Ben Carson will win Iowa (flyover low-information state full of farmersonly.com account having racists). He is black. Many will throw their support behind him as a self affirmation of their false belief that they are not racist. "I'm not racist, I caucused for the black guy!"

Go ahead and flame away, but this is my belief.
    Of course we want a black guy. For the same reason liberals wanted a black guy.

I'm not racist at all but politically, it would be a good thing to have a successful black candidate. Or a woman. There's no difference whatsoever between the respective parties motives in this matter.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Black, white, female or male, is it asking too much to have an honest person with some integrity?
    Well.... the voting public has shown that we won't vote for them in local and state elections. Why should we expect better on a national level?
    Local elections are the most corrupt because nobody knows who they are voting for or why. It is all based on who has the most yard signs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement