Home The Lodge

Happy New Year

May we all be written and sealed in the Book of Life

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    To you and yours.
    I don't know the proper thing to day as I'm new in my Judaism, but here's a toast with coffee and a sneezing giraffe.

a880e092349956146af5a955d0a3f8ac.jpg
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Shanah Tovah. Happy New Year

Did he sneeze squirrels?
    Steven wrote: »
    Shanah Tovah. Happy New Year

Did he sneeze squirrels?

Cow birds.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,325 Senior Member
    Well, it may be the last one!!
    "Sales for freeze-dried food, flashlights, blankets and tents have soared in Utah in recent weeks as some Mormons have begun to prepare for the end of the world. The so-called "preppers" believe the world is ending this month based on biblical prophecies, the Hebrew calendar, an unstable economy, world politics and astronomical occurrences, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Sunday.
    The Mormon apocalypse believers claim the Jewish High Holy Days that began this week will trigger a financial crisis based on the United States’ “wickedness.” They predict the full moon on Sept. 28 is the next sign of the world is ending."

Oh crap, just as the BWO hatch is getting started!
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mormon-apocalypse-prediction-has-people-stocking-up-on-food/ar-AAehz8s
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    G-d bless us every one. Thanks Steven.

I saw an interesting site while walking my dog yesterday. There were a number of Jewish people on the edge of the lake with men carrying rams horns. Is there a ceremony that involves the blowing of the rams horn? I would have stuck around to witness this, but I did not want to intrude.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

I saw an interesting site while walking my dog yesterday. There were a number of Jewish people on the edge of the lake with men carrying rams horns. Is there a ceremony that involves the blowing of the rams horn? I would have stuck around to witness this, but I did not want to intrude.

I believe that's called a Shofar. (the horn)

One of Ricky Scaggs (bluegrass) songs, "Soldiers of the Cross" begins with three blasts of a Shofar. It's a chilling sound.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Thank you Steven. I thought the New Yeah was Rosh Hashanna (sp?)
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,963 Senior Member
    Steven,
    I am over at Midway for a lay over. Come on down and we can celebrate the new year with a pint or two. Anything to drown my pain of having to go to Pittsburgh.
    flytrap wrote: »
    Thank you Steven. I thought the New Yeah was Rosh Hashanna (sp?)

Yes. Rosh HaShanah. Head (Rosh) of the (Ha) year (Shanah).

Shanah Tovah is is the traditional greeting. Tovah means good. Hebrew is like Spanish or whatever where the adjective is behind the noun.
    Could be worse, could be going to Milwaukee or the ultimate horror, STAYING in Chicago.

You are describing Tashlikh. The ritual is to cast bread crumbs into water. The bread crumbs are supposed to represent one's sins. I've never done this...too touch feely for me.
    flytrap wrote: »
    Could be worse, could be going to Milwaukee or the ultimate horror, STAYING in Chicago.

The idea that Milwaukee is somehow better than Chicago is mind boggling.
    You are describing Tashlikh. The ritual is to cast bread crumbs into water. The bread crumbs are supposed to represent one's sins. I've never done this...too touch feely for me.

Thanks.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Buffco wrote: »
    I believe that's called a Shofar. (the horn)

One of Ricky Scaggs (bluegrass) songs, "Soldiers of the Cross" begins with three blasts of a Shofar. It's a chilling sound.

It's definitely something special. I used to belong to a temple where the shofar blower was first seat, French horn, for the Chicago Symphony. He was unbelievable.

This must have made the ducks happy.
    This must have made the ducks happy.

I would think the ducks would have a Happy New Year.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,570 Senior Member
    [/Sara Palin voice]
    Ducks and Carp were put upon this planet to eat our sins.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Makes for a lot of fat ducks..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Steven, sincere thanks for informing us Gentiles of some of the rites and intricacies of Jewish faith.
    swizz wrote: »
    [/Sara Palin voice]
    Ducks and Carp were put upon this planet to eat our sins.
    Swine. The Lord cast demons into a herd of swine.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,148 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Swine. The Lord cast demons into a herd of swine.
    ... which ran into a lake and became duck and carp food.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,504 Senior Member
    Happy New Year, Steven.

Now, having atoned, go and sin no more. See the light and campaign for Bernie Sanders, a University of Chicago alumnus.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,148 Senior Member
    So... you people keep your own calendar, your own language, and refuse to integrate with American culture?

Does Donald Trump know this?

Happy New Year to you, Steven.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Happy New Year, Steven..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    Steven,
    I am over at Midway for a lay over. Come on down and we can celebrate the new year with a pint or two. Anything to drown my pain of having to go to Pittsburgh.

I stopped reading right here.

I. Will. Cut. You.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    Well, it may be the last one!!
    "Sales for freeze-dried food, flashlights, blankets and tents have soared in Utah in recent weeks as some Mormons have begun to prepare for the end of the world. The so-called "preppers" believe the world is ending this month based on biblical prophecies, the Hebrew calendar, an unstable economy, world politics and astronomical occurrences, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Sunday.
    The Mormon apocalypse believers claim the Jewish High Holy Days that began this week will trigger a financial crisis based on the United States’ “wickedness.” They predict the full moon on Sept. 28 is the next sign of the world is ending."

Oh crap, just as the BWO hatch is getting started!
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mormon-apocalypse-prediction-has-people-stocking-up-on-food/ar-AAehz8s

Here is what I don't understand about religious nuts:

How is this:

72hrKitbigfile2.jpg

and this:

Shangri-la-1-1lb-3-oz.jpg

Going to protect you against this?

World-War-III-Prediction-Nostradamus-Armageddon1-320x239.jpg
    So... you people keep your own calendar, your own language, and refuse to integrate with American culture?

Does Donald Trump know this?

Happy New Year to you, Steven.

I'd think so (although you never know). Ivanka is a ger tzedek.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,015 Senior Member
    The idea that Milwaukee is somehow better than Chicago is mind boggling.

Milwaukee is nothing more than northern Chicago. Don't think you can say that one is better than the other. :D

Now who gets to live and who gets to die over these next few days?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement