Home The Lodge

U.S. is an Oligarchy...

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 3,099 Senior Member
....says former president Carter.

Former president Jimmy Carter said Tuesday on the nationally-syndicated radio show The Thom Hartmann Program that the United States is now an “oligarchy” in which “unlimited political bribery” has created “a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors.” Both Democrats and Republicans, Carter said, “look upon this unlimited money as a great benefit to themselves.”

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Not that I'm in favor of an oligarchy, but the cynic in me says "yeah... but Jimmy, this isn't anything new." The amount of money in play might be orders of magnitude greater, and the methods which we can be fed information changed, but money and politics have been hand in hand since the the Ooorp the mayoral candidate caveman received a sabertooth pelt from Ooorg the Caveman Developer so Ooorp would push through lenient cave expansion legislation after Ooorg gets him elected.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 3,099 Senior Member
    That's right, the political system is corrupt and always has been controlled by the financial elite. Down with politicians I say!
    meh. Politicians are humans. Your solution would replace politician humans with another type of human (scientists and engineers).... Ones no more equipped or motivated to handle temptation any differently than the previous ones.
    That's right again. However, scientists and engineers rely on scientific facts to make decisions, not corrupted political opinions, and in an environment where they can't benefit personally from those decisions, such as a society not based on money, but energy determinants which would provide a physical abundance for all, those corrupt scientist and engineers now working for the corporate elite who have compromised their principals to go up the corporate/monetary ladder, will be able to contribute honestly to society.
    EdB wrote: »
    ...and in an environment where they can't benefit personally from those decisions

No matter how much you pimp your Utopian dream, this right here is the fantasy that makes it an unattainable dream. Humans, being the most cunning of animals, will always find a way to benefit from their decisions.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member
    So Ed how does your position on not voting bring about the necessary change?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    That's right again. However, scientists and engineers rely on scientific facts to make decisions, not corrupted political opinions, and in an environment where they can't benefit personally from those decisions, such as a society not based on money, but energy determinants which would provide a physical abundance for all, those corrupt scientist and engineers now working for the corporate elite who have compromised their principals to go up the corporate/monetary ladder, will be able to contribute honestly to society.

So Ed tell us about that 4% of scientists being paid by the oil companies to tell us global warming is not real. Also considering that some of those scientist that believe in global warming want to enact policies that may actually cause real economic harm to those that are living today, should they really be the ones to make those decisions and how would that be different than fascism?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Yep, Ed and Hex are both right. However, ANY system is going to be corrupted sooner or later by those who know how to work the system. It's a sad situation but that doesn't make it any less true.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    So Ed tell us about that 4% of scientists being paid by the oil companies to tell us global warming is not real. Also considering that some of those scientist that believe in global warming want to enact policies that may actually cause real economic harm to those that are living today, should they really be the ones to make those decisions and how would that be different than fascism?

Nothing going on today?
    Waiting on potatoes to finish cooking.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    Waiting on potatoes to finish cooking.

Boiled, baked, roasted??

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Hextall wrote: »
    No matter how much you pimp your Utopian dream, this right here is the fantasy that makes it an unattainable dream. Humans, being the most cunning of animals, will always find a way to benefit from their decisions.

Man, you're right again, they will benefit personally along with everyone else, just not at the expense of others.
    Breakfast potatoes? I like breakfast potatoes, but not as much as hash browns.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    It doesn't work that way Ed, A's gain is B's loss. Just the way it is when you have finite resources.
    flytrap wrote: »
    It doesn't work that way Ed, A's gain is B's loss. Just the way it is when you have finite resources.

Somewhere, Mundinger is smiling.
    So Ed how does your position on not voting bring about the necessary change?

You've heard this before, when enough people stop voting for politicians because they are disgusted with the corrupt political system, they will look for a different social structure.
    flytrap wrote: »

Sorry but it could work that way, A's gain could be B's gain also.in a society of abundant resources which an energy based system would provide. Granted, you're correct in the context of the social structure that exist today.
    Man, you're right again, they will benefit personally along with everyone else, just not at the expense of others.

Oh, my sweet sweet naive Ed. How I wish I could hug you and tell you it's not your fault over and over again until you break down crying in my arms.
    You've heard this before, when enough people stop voting for politicians because they are disgusted with the corrupt political system, they will look for a different social structure.

Do you believe in unicorns also?
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    Let's talk about potatoes.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Steven wrote: »
    Breakfast potatoes? I like breakfast potatoes, but not as much as hash browns.

Potatoes O'Brien with Italian seasonings.
    Ed for some reason thinks **** will stop being **** if we just say "here ****, here's everything you've ever wanted" not realizing that **** often want other people to not have stuff.
    Oh, my sweet sweet naive Ed. How I wish I could hug you and tell you it's not your fault over and over again until you break down crying in my arms.

I like when you guys troll me, it gives me a chance to get the message out there and I can strengthen my position.
    I like when you guys troll me, it gives me a chance to get the message out there and I can strengthen my position.

So this is all a trick? Do you find strength in my tears, Ed? Is that how it is!?!

Just curious, are there other venues that you get your message out there? You don't have to name the venues, just curious is all. I think the 5 people that read this forum have heard it plenty.
    So this is all a trick? Do you find strength in my tears, Ed? Is that how it is!?!

Just curious, are there other venues that you get your message out there? You don't have to name the venues, just curious is all. I think the 5 people that read this forum have heard it plenty.

The reason they've heard it plenty is because they keep asking questions about it and I answer them.
    Ed for some reason thinks **** will stop being **** if we just say "here ****, here's everything you've ever wanted" not realizing that **** often want other people to not have stuff.

What percentage of the American people are ****?
    Who asked the question that caused you to start this thread? Was it sherb? Sherb's dead baby. Sherb's dead.

pulpfiction00001.png
    What percentage of the American people are ****?

I haven't counted... but let me get right on that.

1... 2... and 3.... oh... and 4. Certainly that baby is an ****, so 5....

This is going to take a while.
    I haven't counted... but let me get right on that.

1... 2... and 3.... oh... and 4. Certainly that baby is an ****, so 5....

This is going to take a while.

What are the characteristics of **** in the present system? could they be acting that way because this system gives them the opportunity to act that way (money/power)?
    Well, one characteristic is not answering my questions. That person is an ****.

(i kid.. I kid)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement