Home The Lodge

Falling apart

2»

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Hilarious.
    Suck it up, gramps, you still have a better jump shot than me.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,023 Senior Member
    And with his cataracts he can't even tell if some hottie coed is hitting on him
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Suck it up, gramps, you still have a better jump shot than me.

I really did think it was hilarious.

Thankfully, I'm not a gramps yet, to the best of my knowledge.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Okay. You win. Between us, big pharma is secure.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    flytrap wrote: »
    Okay. You win. Between us, big pharma is secure.

Unfortunately, no--I get just about everything through the VA and everything but the Lyrica is generic. What was it the John Cleese character in Monty Python sketches used to shout, "OI gets me brain medicine through the National Health!"?
    The Lyrica took an act of God to have it prescribed and filled; my Department-Head Neurologist said she literally had to bully the prescription through an approval board because it's still under patent and they have to pay full price for it. You'd have thought the pharmacy staff was taking up an out-of-pocket collection among themselves to pay for my meds.

Jim
    All my meds come through the gov't as well, so yeah, its generics as well.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,374 Senior Member
    Cappyduane ain't takin anything now. Live long enough so they can find a cure for whatever it is you're going to get.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,693 Senior Member
    magalloway wrote: »
    Unfortunately, no--I get just about everything through the VA and everything but the Lyrica is generic. What was it the John Cleese character in Monty Python sketches used to shout, "OI gets me brain medicine through the National Health!"?
    The Lyrica took an act of God to have it prescribed and filled; my Department-Head Neurologist said she literally had to bully the prescription through an approval board because it's still under patent and they have to pay full price for it. You'd have thought the pharmacy staff was taking up an out-of-pocket collection among themselves to pay for my meds.

Jim

There's no good reason to not buy off-patent drugs as generics, with a few exceptions. Their range of variation from stated strength is slightly greater than branded drugs, but not a cause for concern in most cases.

There are a few drugs where consistent dosing is important. With the brand you are always getting it from one manufacturer, with generics the manufacturer may change each time you fill a script. The only one such med I take is Synthroid, I am sure there are others.

BTW, if you have private insurance and really want the brand name use your insurance. The VA bills my private insurance whenever I use it. (I mostly see non-VA docs, but keep the VA as an option.) I can get my hearing aids through the VA, which is a huge benefit that saves me the $4500 I would be out of pocket after the $2000 BC/BS covers. I also use one VA doc who simply is better than the private ones I have seen in that specialty.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    Interesting, I never thought about the VA for hearing aids, which I suspect I might need, since my favorite word these days seems to be "huh?"
    I have no objections to VA generics, and have often found that the bottles are actually the specifics with a label over them. I just got off the phone with the Denver Acquisition Center, ordering batteries and replacement tubes for my hearing aids; If I'd had to pay for hearing aids at today's prices, I'd have ended up with a large horn. I have had generally excellent service through the the VA (they've literally saved my life twice), but this last go-around after my fall showed up some holes in the system. It taught me never to arrange something through them and be complacent in figuring that it's a done deal--you have to follow up aggressively because things sometimes get stuck in a clerk/technician's desk drawer. I'd still be waiting for a series of spinal MRIs if I hadn't gotten fed up and gone to the Radiology Department ready to wrassle bears. I ended up in a verbal match with the Head of Radiology and then walked down to the Patient Advocate's office and asked for help because I was just about ready to try to park my car in the Center Director's office. She said it sounded like a bad idea because I'd end up on the flight deck trying to swallow my tongue from the Thorazine for three days and would still have to deal with the problem. Anyway, it got straightened out with her help. Incidentally, my neurologist is one of the best, most caring doctors I've ever met.

Jim
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Jim/George,
    I have a question about your hearing aids. Was your hearing loss service related? I ask because I have heard that the VA will only see you and cover medical costs that are directly associated with your VA disability. In your experience, is this true? I am a disabled vet but don't really see a need to go to them as I don't have anything egregiously wrong yet. However, it would be nice if in the future I could use them if the cost-benefit analysis works out.
    If this is too personal a question, please ignore it.
    The reason the VA is furnishing hearing aids for me (and I suspect for George, too) is that I'm considered permanently and totally disabled. That opens up the entire spectrum of medical services, including hearing aids and glasses--no they don't use the birth control-frames for us, though the styles are somewhat limited--and dental services, although I don't use the last. Basically, the only problem is the wait to get set up with a given department, but once you're in, they'll usually take fairly good care of you.

Jim
    Geez, Jim, I'm sorry to hear that about your condition. At least I can still hobble along stream bottoms. Did some volunteer work at a VA hospital a few years back, very rewarding but the 120 mile trip got to be a drag.
    flytrap wrote: »
    Interesting, I never thought about the VA for hearing aids, which I suspect I might need, since my favorite word these days seems to be "huh?"

Not only free, but they will give you top-of-the-line devices. My audiologist told me they are only $30 more than the base models on the VA contract (mine are Oticon), so they do not bother with entry and mid-range models. At a private audiologist the upgrade cost a couple of thousand dollars.

I qualify for the VA without a means test because of agent orange and a Purple Heart, but other vets may find it difficult to enrol.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    I am not classified with any degree of disability, but the Purple Heart and two years of being 50' from incessant artillery fire might be what qualify me. I do not know the answer.

In training at Ft Sill and again in Viet Nam we were not allowed to wear hearing protection. Today it is mandatory and a punishable offense for artillerymen not to wear protection. I was survey and FDC (fire direction and control), my daily weapons were theodolites, ephemeris tables, met reports (wijns, temps and barometric pressure all affect how you tell the gunners to set the sights) and a slide rule. Today it is all computerized. I feel sorry for the gun bunnies manning the howitzers, they must all be completely deaf by now.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 9,006 Senior Member
    headolite? Was that supposed to be theodolite?
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    FishTX wrote: »
    headolite? Was that supposed to be theodolite?

Yes indeed; it was.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Wow. Unbelievable that you were prohibited from wearing ear protection. Jet noise for me. I don't have any hearing problems at all yet (luckily).
    Thanks for the info, guys. Mucho appreciated.
    Funny, when I was station in Germany in 4th Armored DivArty, (67) we were issued and expected to wear earplugs anytime we were around the guns. I worked with the nuke reaction/inspection team in the Fire Support Element, so we were out in the field watching firing a lot of the time. No, they weren't firing nukes, but they drilled for it constantly. I suspect my hearing was damaged, but it was from listening to CW and radioteletype noise all day, often through pretty primitive earphones. In Nam, I lived and worked about 200 yards from an 8-inch battery, so every time they had a fire mission, our whole bunker jounced and bounced.

Jim
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Here's what I don't get, all these people crying over a shot lion but ignoring all the babies on this thread getting sold by planned parenthood. SMH.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    Why do you hate Cecil?

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ricinus wrote: »
    Why do you hate Cecil?

Mike

He's a little gamey for my tastes.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,374 Senior Member
    Just read a review of a novel in which sport for the rich is shooting people in a field where $50 bills are spread out for poor people to take a chance on getting them and escaping before they get shot.
    Is that a metaphor for life?
    Hextall wrote: »
    He's a little gamey for my tastes.

So you prefer the tenderness of the fetuses from planned parenthood? Are they like veal?
    jbilly wrote: »
    So you prefer the tenderness of the fetuses from planned parenthood? Are they like veal?

I use them more like MREs. they fit perfectly in my fishing sling if I put them in the breach position.
    I use them more like MREs. they fit perfectly in my fishing sling if I put them in the breach position.

Do they go well with potatoes Obrien? Or perhaps a side of unicorn?
    Here's what I don't get, all these people crying over a shot lion but ignoring all the babies on this thread getting sold by planned parenthood. SMH.
    Dead lions don't grow up to compete in the job market.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement