Home The Lodge

Back From the Void

magallowaymagalloway Senior MemberPosts: 1,036 Senior Member
Got back yesterday and managed to get unpacked, laundered, and caught up on the Honeydew list enough that today was actually fairly calm. Of course, I might add the Bertrand Roy, everyone's favorite ageless French Canadian fireplug woodcutter, dropped two cords of firewood in my side yard the other day, so I've got that to stare at until I'm forced to stack it.

A large number of brook trout--to 22 inches--were taught not to trust just everything that looks like a brown or green drake, the same old stories were told, and we both agreed we had a great time, but there was a moment of realization that we looked a lot like the protagonists in "Grumpy Old Men" as we sat in a 19-foot Rangeley boat watching drake dun imitations bob on the lake. For what it's worth, it's possible to stand up in a cross between a canoe and a rowboat and whiz into a half-gallon milk jug filched from the recycle bin; at our age, such items are necessary equipment for lake-fishing, 'cause we ain't 25 and able to make it over the side of the boat anymore!

Jim

Replies

• flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Half-gallon milk jug? Being kind of modest, heh?
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Glad you caught some nice fish! On dries, too! Any streamer fishing thrown in at all?

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,227 Senior Member
    magalloway wrote: »
    A large number of brook trout--to 22 inches-

Please do tell more and I hope you have some pics of said brook trout.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    My partner in crime's the streamer fisherman, and he caught several nice ones on black Ghosts and what's known as a Kennebago Muddler. We also dredged streamers off the dock at night. There was a hatch of something really small (midges of some sort, I suppose) that brought the smelt in, and the brookies followed them. A Black Ghost run through the mess could pick up some decent trout. Sorry, Joe, no pics--I'm just not a camera person; I've never figured out how somebody handles a camera and a fish at the same time.

Jim
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    magalloway wrote: »
    My partner in crime's the streamer fisherman, and he caught several nice ones on black Ghosts and what's known as a Kennebago Muddler. We also dredged streamers off the dock at night. There was a hatch of something really small (midges of some sort, I suppose) that brought the smelt in, and the brookies followed them. A Black Ghost run through the mess could pick up some decent trout. Sorry, Joe, no pics--I'm just not a camera person; I've never figured out how somebody handles a camera and a fish at the same time.

Jim

At least your priorities are in order. Cameras take away from fishing time!
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,558 Senior Member
    I myself bring a camera, but only take the time to take pics if I get a noteworthy fish and then it is an in the net in the water shot. I usually will take some scenery shots though.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement