Home The Lodge

Can someone please explain to me why Sandra Bland was still in jail after three days?

124

Replies

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I won't answer that again.

    Why isn't she to bear responsibility for participating in the escalation?

    Because she did nothing wrong. And you still have not answered it. The only reason why there was a "lawful order" was because his manliness was bruised. The escalation was entirely on him. She had every right to refuse to put out the cigarette and to be annoyed with the situation.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Because she did nothing wrong. And you still have not answered it.

    I did. The fact that I agree that he performed miserably doesn't seem to be registering with you.
    The only reason why there was a "lawful order" was because his manliness was bruised. The escalation was entirely on him. She had every right to refuse to put out the cigarette and to be annoyed with the situation.

    Really? That must be some small **** when somebody's refusal to put out a cigarette hurts your manliness. And you know what? Even if his **** was that small, his request was pleasant.
    Being annoyed didn't give her the right to not obey lawful orders.

    Time to go home.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I did. The fact that I agree that he performed miserably doesn't seem to be registering with you.

    Because time after time you excuse it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Being annoyed didn't give her the right to not obey lawful orders.

    And being annoyed was not a reason to give it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,017 Senior Member
    So I am late in getting to this thread, I finally just watched the video of her arrest this morning before heading to work.

    What I want to know is are we just questioning her arrest or her death? Did she hang herself or ???
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,226 Senior Member
    You know...she was arrested on a Friday and Judges don't work weekends. Which probably answers comics original question of why she spent 3 days in jail.

    Also, if you're unstable enough that you kill yourself in jail after being there for 3 days then something is wrong. News is reporting she had depression, PTSD and tried to commit suicide once before.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sandra-bland-facts_55a92c76e4b04740a3dfcd9f

    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-texas-new-sandra-bland-video--20150722-story.html#page=1

    I think the arrest was a bit overblown but she did act very sh!tty to the cop which set off the whole incident.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Because time after time you excuse it.

    This is the part you fail to comprehend...I'm assuming on purpose.

    I don't excuse it, but she bears blame as well. Two people can both have contributed to their cars colliding.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    So I am late in getting to this thread, I finally just watched the video of her arrest this morning before heading to work.

    What I want to know is are we just questioning her arrest or her death? Did she hang herself or ???

    Her arrest.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »


    I think the arrest was a bit overblown but she did act very sh!tty to the cop which set off the whole incident.

    I don't think being agitated and pizzed about the ticket should lead to being arrested. He baited her..

    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,226 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I don't think being agitated and pizzed about the ticket should lead to being arrested. He baited her..

    Mike
    So do the smart thing and don't take the bait.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I don't excuse it, but she bears blame as well.

    This is an excuse. She did nothing wrong until he ordered her out of the car. Which he did solely because he was a prick. He is totally and completely to blame.

    My Dad always used to say, it takes two to make a fight. But you know what? If my brother spits in my Cheerios, it is on him.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    I think the arrest was a bit overblown but she did act very sh!tty to the cop which set off the whole incident.

    The incident was set off when he tried to goad her into a fight. What, she is supposed to be happy about getting a ticket? Keep in mind the reason for her lane change was because he was riding her ****. This whole mess was one of his creation.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    So do the smart thing and don't take the bait.

    There should be no bait to take.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    We all got agitated and pissed about getting a ticket. You don't think I was agitated and pissed when the cop stopped me in Richland Center?

    An adult freaking deals with it.

    Here's where it all goes bad:

    Encinia: OK, ma'am. (Pause.) You OK?
    Bland: I'm waiting on you. This is your job. I'm waiting on you. When're you going to let me go?



    Asking someone if they're OK is baiting them? Who talks like this to a cop? If anything, Encinia took the bait.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    Yes it is. There is no reason to ask the question especially when he knows the answer and then the "Are you done now?" further escalates the situation. He could have just handed her the ticket and said be on your way. If you admit he is baiting her, why are we even talking about this? It is completely on him.

    Tell me what is wrong with this sentence, other than she failed to genuflect to his awesomeness.

    Bland: I'm waiting on you. This is your job. I'm waiting on you. When're you going to let me go?

    He asked if she was okay and she answered. She did not call him a name, she simply wanted her ticket and to be on her way. A perfectly reasonable response.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    This is an excuse. She did nothing wrong until he ordered her out of the car. Which he did solely because he was a prick. He is totally and completely to blame.

    My Dad always used to say, it takes two to make a fight. But you know what? If my brother spits in my Cheerios, it is on him.

    Unless you spit in his first. Sometimes it takes one, sometimes it takes two. The transcript showed this was two.
    You can tell me all day long that it was his job not to rise to it, and that's fine, but there's no way the transcript indicates she was sitting there just eating her cereal. No freaking way.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    Actually you and I must be reading different transcripts. Jesus even Donald Trump agrees with me.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Yes it is. There is no reason to ask the question especially when he knows the answer and then the "Are you done now?" further escalates the situation. He could have just handed her the ticket and said be on your way. If you admit he is baiting her, why are we even talking about this? It is completely on him.

    He took the bait and gave it back. How do you know there was no reason to ask if she were OK? She could have been scratching her face, pulling her hair, gouging at her wrists or doing G-d knows what. The woman apparently just committed suicide, after all.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Actually you and I must be reading different transcripts. Jesus even Donald Trump agrees with me.

    This is not good for your argument.

    We just came to it. I think asking "You OK?" is fine. You think it's baiting.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    What bait? She was just sitting there waiting for him to hand her the ticket.

    Okay you tell me why he was asking her if she was okay and even then her answer was perfectly reasonable. She did not call him a name, she didn't even argue about the ticket, she wanted him to finish his job and let her go. But apparently she is not allowed to express herself in your opinion.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    This is not good for your argument.

    We just came to it. I think asking "You OK?" is fine. You think it's baiting.

    And her answer was fine.

    I mean it wasn't yassa massa, eyes be okay with yo ticket and eyes completely in the wrong. But there was nothing wrong with her answer.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Her answer wasn't fine. If you talked to your dad like that, he would have slapped you in the mouth.

    And fwiw, he didn't swear at her or call her a name - if this is now the acceptable level of discourse. Maybe she was excessively irritated. She killed herself.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    Not if we are both adults, he would not. I guess your problem is that she was assuming they were both equals. He is not her Daddy. And she did not swear at him or call him a name. She requested that he give her the ticket so she could move on with her day.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,017 Senior Member
    Apparently smoking really does kill.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Not if we are both adults, he would not.
    That's because you're too old to hit. He'd have been pissed and you know it.


    Equals treat equals with respect. Contempt of cop may not be a crime, but contempt of cop isn't behavior we should applaud either.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    It was not contempt. She told him honestly how she felt and that she wanted him to let her go as quickly as possible. She did not raise her voice, she did not call him any names, she just wanted it to be over and for him to hurry up. There is no contempt. And pissed in not a reason for asking her to exit the vehicle. You still have not provided that answer other than some lame excuse that he feared for his safety. Please.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,661 Senior Member
    Get a room, guys. :rolleyes:
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    Now that. That was contempt.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,554 Senior Member
    [video]https://fbcdn-video-e-a.akamaihd.net/hvideo-ak-xta1/v/t42.1790-2/11288677_918417098218072_1312223083_n.mp4?efg=eyJy bHIiOjMwNiwicmxhIjo5NDR9&rl=306&vabr=170&oh=1889f684b3afb2fe4104413e114f7830&oe=55B28C2C&__gda__=1437764858_8a1ffb637401a2e85101ef01576fb1f b[/video]
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,017 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Get a room, guys. :rolleyes:

    If this thread makes it to day 3 we should all hang ourselves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement