Home The Lodge

Can someone please explain to me why Sandra Bland was still in jail after three days?

fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior MemberPosts: 26,564 Senior Member
Was she not arraigned and if so, was she not offered bail? I honestly cannot see after viewing the video why she was not released on OR.
'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    She didn't put out that cigarette. She needed to "go".
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Bail was set at $5,000. Her family was getting it together.
    If a cop asks you why you're annoyed, you, being black, have two choices: Tell him, or don't tell him. Now both will likely get you pulled from the car and possibly tazed, most likely arrested. But you, the black person that is going to have a "suicide" soon in jail, do have choices.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member
    I really do fail to see why there was bail in this case. She was pulled over for failing to signal for cripes sake. BTW when was the last time anyone was pulled over for that?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Two weekends ago:

Sirens....
    Cop: How you doing?
    Me: Better before you stopped me.
    Cop: So not the greatest?
    Me: Not right now, no.
    Cop: You know why I stopped you?
    Me: I was going 65?
    Cop: Well I actually got you going 71. Either way, it's 55 mph here.
    Me: OK
    Cop: Can I see your license and registration.
    Me: Here you go.

5 minutes later, cop comes back.

Cop: Here's your license and registration. Consider it a warning. Just slow down.
    Me: Thanks man, appreciate it.

If I wasn't white, I'd probably still be rotting in a Richland Center, Wisconsin jail.
    Friend was pulled over for squealing tires.

Cop: How are you doing today?
    Friend: Good
    Cop: Until now huh?

Cop let him go with a warning. It was the 70's. I can't say what would have happened if we were not white.
    A few years ago, I got stopped by a cop. Eden was in the car with me.

Cop: You know why I pulled you over?
    Me: No idea.
    Cop: Really?
    Me: Really
    Cop: You ran a red light?
    Me: I did?
    Cop: Yeah. If you knew what you did, I was going to let you off with a warning. But you didn't, so I'm going to give you a ticket.

That to me was the weirdest thing. If I had intentionally run the red, I was good to go. But since it was an accident (actually, I still don't believe I ran a red and Eden didn't see it), or I was just plain too dumb to notice, I got the ticket.

Still makes no sense to me. But if a cop asks if I know what I did, and I actually know, I tell him. Makes him happy somehow.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,023 Senior Member
    A few days ago.

Cop: You know why I pulled you over
    Me: Yeah because I am black and you're a racist mother #$@*ing pig
    Cop: Correct. Have a nice day

See honesty really is the best policy.

This may or may not be a true story.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    A few years ago, I got stopped by a cop. Eden was in the car with me.

Cop: You know why I pulled you over?
    Me: No idea.
    Cop: Really?
    Me: Really
    Cop: You ran a red light?
    Me: I did?
    Cop: Yeah. If you knew what you did, I was going to let you off with a warning. But you didn't, so I'm going to give you a ticket.

That to me was the weirdest thing. If I had intentionally run the red, I was good to go. But since it was an accident (actually, I still don't believe I ran a red and Eden didn't see it), or I was just plain too dumb to notice, I got the ticket.

Still makes no sense to me. But if a cop asks if I know what I did, and I actually know, I tell him. Makes him happy somehow.

so, growing up in cop family, I got quite an indoctrination about proper behavior when and if I were to get pulled over. Basic survival skills such as turn off the engine, keep your hands visible, make no furtive motions, don't lie, be white....the usual.

these tips have let me get through life with about a .500 batting average of being pulled over without a ticket. The most recent time I DID get a ticket, I honestly didn't know why (turns out I'd missed a speed zone change, in a very rural area -- on an Indian reservation -- where there were few other cues) -- but the cop apparently had the same reaction.

As my mom would explain it: "we get lied to by people so often, we just assume that if you tell us you don't know why you were pulled over, you're lying to us too. And that pisses us off. It's one thing to test your luck on the speed limit -- another to insult our intelligence. You KNOW what you did, so fess up to it."

Makes sense when you think about it from their perspective.

I've gotten three speeding tickets in 41 years and over a million miles of driving. Probably been pulled over twice that many times. Based on a careful meta-analysis (i.e., I just thought about each one for a second) I would say that the "fessing up even if you DON'T know what you did" strategy is the one to use.
    This is why I always travel with my legal council.

[pours a sip for sherb]
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Steven, the why you got a ticket rather than a warning... by saying you didn't see the red light you were also admitting to inattentive driving, IMO>
    I forgot to ask, who's Sandra Bland and why should we give a rat's ****?
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 3,119 Senior Member
    I would say that the "fessing up even if you DON'T know what you did" strategy is the one to use.

If you guess wrong do you get two tickets?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 9,006 Senior Member
    Two weekends ago:

Sirens....
    Cop: How you doing?
    Me: Better before you stopped me.
    Cop: So not the greatest?
    Me: Not right now, no.
    Cop: You know why I stopped you?
    Me: I was going 65?
    Cop: Well I actually got you going 71. Either way, it's 55 mph here.
    Me: OK
    Cop: Can I see your license and registration.
    Me: Here you go.

5 minutes later, cop comes back.

Cop: Here's your license and registration. Consider it a warning. Just slow down.
    Me: Thanks man, appreciate it.

If I wasn't white, I'd probably still be rotting in a Richland Center, Wisconsin jail.

Mine a few weeks ago was similar. Third tail light not working.
    Can I see your license?
    It is in Dallas at a friend's house where I'm headed to pick it up.
    Can I see your insurance?
    It is in the same wallet
    Do you know your license number.
    Yes. It is 09......
    I'm going to give you a warning.
    Thanks. Have a nice day, officer.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    Were you smoking a cigarette?

Your mother doesn't remove the Marlboro from her lips before telling the State Trooper to kiss her ****. You might be a redneck.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,690 Senior Member
    What Hex said, also what Steven said, which can be summarized as DWB
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    This is why I always travel with my legal council.

[pours a sip for sherb]
    By the way, sherb died.

Suicide by cop.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,023 Senior Member
    flytrap wrote: »
    I forgot to ask, who's Sandra Bland and why should we give a rat's ****?

That names is the long form journalism of Sherb. Sip poured.
    Oh, she finally showed up on my 'net. Got it, it's a conspiracy or cop brutality anytime a minority dies in jail. Must be so or it wouldn't be p.c.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,373 Senior Member
    The key, as comic noted, was that she was pulled over for failing to signal a lane switch. I think any driver knows thats a BS reason.
    He also initiated a physical confrontation when he tried to yank her out of the car. She had every reason to fear getting out of the car and he did not have cause to order her to. Now he is whining that she kicked him in the shin. This cop is too much of a wimp and a bully to be a police officer.
    What reason did she have to fear getting out of the car?

By the way, a cop can order you to get out of a car, whether the offense is arrestable or not.

According to NYT:

"During a traffic stop, a police officer has the right to ask a driver to get out of the car even for a non-arrestable offense, as a way of securing his own safety. The officer has almost complete discretion and the driver is legally obligated to get out when asked. 'He has control over the location of drivers,' Mr. Weisberg said. 'It is equal to an officer patting you down to see if you have a gun.'"

By the way, was she arrested for a traffic violation or arrested for disobeying a lawful order?
    What reason did she have to fear getting out of the car?

Have you been watching the news?

Just because he has the right to do something does not mean he was right in doing so. The man is a bully and probably has a case of tiny wiener syndrome. He should not be a police officer.

She was arrested for kicking this **** in the shin.
    Let's suppose Ferguson, Baltimore etc. was a good enough reason to fear getting out of the car (we'll ignore for now the hundreds -thousands?- of Americans of all races that have been asked to step out of their cars since Ferguson), how do you know that was her reason?

It strikes me as just as likely she was pissed off at being stopped and petulance got the best of her.

And I'm sure Encinias has a tiny ****, so he didn't let it slide.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I really wish my mom and uncles were still around, to talk to about this stuff. They all worked during a time (pre-9/11) when police work had a different attitude -- much more concillatory and oriented towards de-escalating situations, rather than asserting authority at all costs.

Good example -- my mom once spotted a car outside a pizza parlor that matched the license on a car that had been used in a bank robbery earlier in the day. They didn't have a good description of the robber, though, because he'd worn a mask.

so she positioned two officers at each of the entrances to the pizza place (which, fortunately for her, had stained glass windows obscuring the view of the outside) and called the manager (a friend of the family) and asked them to announce that the car had it's headlights on.

the robber walked out and was arrested without incident, because he wasn't expecting anything.

these days, they'd bring in the SWAT team, turn the thing into a two hour long negotiation, and probably end up with shots fired. My mom and uncles, on the other hand, prided themselves on not having to use their service weapons during their long careers.

I've read/heard that in the wake of 9/11, police tactics in many communities turned to one of asserting dominance and authority forcefully and immediately, and I can't help but wonder if that doesn't often end up unnecessarily escalating the situation in many cases.
    Let's suppose Ferguson, Baltimore etc. was a good enough reason to fear getting out of the car (we'll ignore for now the hundreds -thousands?- of Americans of all races that have been asked to step out of their cars since Ferguson), how do you know that was her reason?

Let's assume for a moment that you are actually intelligent enough to grasp the idea that those are not the only incidents of police abusing persons of color and that this is a small town in Texas. What was his reason for asking her to get out of the car other than to assault her?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    They all worked during a time (pre-9/11) when police work had a different attitude -- much more concillatory and oriented towards de-escalating situations, rather than asserting authority at all costs.

Maybe the people and situations of today that cops have to deal with are different than those pre-9/11, causing today's cop to be more authoritative than the past.

Let's assume for a moment that you are actually intelligent enough ?

And....here we go. Never fails.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    Maybe this cop watched too much South Park?

cartman.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement