Home The Lodge

Election 2016 Political Death Watch?

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
.....of course, not wishing physical harm to any of the candidates, but it seems after yesterday's foot-in-mouth by The Donald, it's not too early to start laying odds on the POLITICAL demise of various candidates -- whether through slow painful attrition, or brilliant, sudden implosion.

What say ye? Did the Donald cross a line with his comments about McCain? Is this the beginning of the end for him? Or just another illustration that "even BAD publicity is still, publicity."

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 3,119 Senior Member
    Put a fork in him the Donald is done.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    the thing is, he has enough money to keep the corpse wriggling for months to come. He's like a zombie -- already dead, but not self-aware enough to realize it.

Which is odd, since he often acts like the only thing he IS aware of, is himself.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    I doubt he was ever serious about running, just an attention getting PR stunt to feed his supersize ego.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,317 Senior Member
    I think his comments about NOT seeking God's forgiveness if he does something wrong and his dismissive attitude about Communion - "I drink my little cup of wine, I eat my little cracker, that's kind of forgiveness, right?" or something to that effect - will also severely wound him with the religious voters.

BTW, who brings a guy who's been married three times to a Family Leadership Conference?
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,373 Senior Member
    What's odd is that those comments about military service and religion will eat at the small base he had attracted. It's as if he doesn't even care about support.

But BTW, wasn't McCain shot down like 3 times? After the 2nd I think a rational man looks for a desk job.
    About the religion comments: it may seem like a small deal to some folks, but to part of the religious base he had, they're important.

I think the best summation of the week comes from a week from Alan Noble:
    "It is embarrassing that Trump's birtherism and gross views on immigration were not enough to disqualify him. It took offending vets."
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    The comment was over the line. Is he done? No, not yet, he hasn't completely pissed off the whole country yet. Is he "electable"? Hell, you wouldn't think so but you never know with the American electorate.
    creekguy wrote: »
    What's odd is that those comments about military service and religion will eat at the small base he had attracted. It's as if he doesn't even care about support.

But BTW, wasn't McCain shot down like 3 times? After the 2nd I think a rational man looks for a desk job.
    Or learn to fly better! Regardless of that though, McCain was putting his life on the line in support of his country - the Donald was merely getting rich.

I think he was only shot down once. He was on the Forrestal when that ship went up in flames, and it was either his jet or the one next to it that got hit by the Zuni rocket that set off the whole conflagration. He tried to or did rescue one other pilot, got injured by a bomb exploding on deck, and helped roll unexploded bombs off the flight deck.
    flytrap wrote: »
    Or learn to fly better! Regardless of that though, McCain was putting his life on the line in support of his country - the Donald was merely getting rich.

Well, he inherited a real estate empire, so he was just getting richer.
    The fact that Trump sat out the draft with 4 student deferments (along with 1 medical one) makes the ignorance/stupidity of his statements all the more laughable.

Update. He lost plane(s) to engine failure. Shot down just the one time.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,023 Senior Member
    How about OMalley foolishly claiming that "all lives matter"
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,690 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I doubt he was ever serious about running, just an attention getting PR stunt to feed his supersize ego.

Mike

Cheap publicity, and they almost always spell his name right.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    jbilly wrote: »
    How about OMalley foolishly claiming that "all lives matter"

Sarcasm alert?
    They do matter, at least to the individuals involved. To the rest of us? Meh. BTW, how could you misspell Tromp?:rolleyes:
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,023 Senior Member
    Fine, let 'em **** and moan that only Black Lives Matter, if the other lives don't then why give a **** about any of them. No favoritism IS equality.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    I'm certainly not a Republican but I've figured all along that when the moment of truth came--voting in a primary--most Rs have enough sense to see Trump for what he is and reject him.

Even if I was being too charitable (which could be the case) with Trump's insult of McCain it is hard to see how Trump has a political future.

In my book anybody who flies a fighter bomber off of an aircraft carrier into the world's most heavily defended air space--which at the time was the sky over North Vietnam--is a war hero.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I'm certainly not a Republican but I've figured all along that when the moment of truth came--voting in a primary--most Rs have enough sense to see Trump for what he is and reject him.

Prediction time...

Trump will have a strong NH primary result mainly because clowns like me (not registered to either party) can vote in either the D or R primary... and they'll be a lot of monkey wrenchers voting in the R primary because there's not much of a race (as of now) on the D side.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    in light of the past few days worth of facebook comments, man on the street interviews, etc -- I'm starting to think that Trump is tapping into something that Sanders does as well, with less fanfare and controversy -- people like him precisely BECAUSE he says what he thinks, outlandish as it sometimes is. Candor is so rare in politics that we'll welcome it even at the price of people who say stupid things.

I don't think that can get him elected but ya never know....

So yeah, I'm rethinking my prediction of his demise -- still think he'll eventually self-destruct, but maybe not as soon as I thought.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    Prediction time...

Trump will have a strong NH primary result mainly because clowns like me (not registered to either party) can vote in either the D or R primary... and they'll be a lot of monkey wrenchers voting in the R primary because there's not much of a race (as of now) on the D side.

I don't know, if you want to scare the bejesus out of Steven, vote for Bernie.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    in light of the past few days worth of facebook comments, man on the street interviews, etc -- I'm starting to think that Trump is tapping into something that Sanders does as well, with less fanfare and controversy -- people like him precisely BECAUSE he says what he thinks, outlandish as it sometimes is. Candor is so rare in politics that we'll welcome it even at the price of people who say stupid things.

I don't think that can get him elected but ya never know....

So yeah, I'm rethinking my prediction of his demise -- still think he'll eventually self-destruct, but maybe not as soon as I thought.

Scott, after I wrote my earlier post I stumbled across this piece, which basically says the same thing you are saying.

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/donald-trump-speaks-to-the-silenced-majority-of-america-is-anyone-listening/
    Anybody says this isn't presidential material is a straight up communist in my book:

CKcrdyYUYAEAys0.jpg
    I wonder if Trump is still for universal health care like he said he was in his book published in 2000?
    Hot off the presses...

Trump just announced Lindsey Graham's cell phone number in a speech today. That's some boss presidential material right there!
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    Is it true he hired Rachel Dolezal to help shore up his minority votes??

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,690 Senior Member
    My major premise is that Trump is an ego-maniacal ****.

My minor premise is that he is leading all his rivals in the polls.

Thus my conclusion - A plurality of Republicans are not-overly-bright, quite gullible fools. QED
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    The reason Trump is doing so well is ironic. He appeals to those who are offended by politicians lacking the guts to offend anyone, and offend others by being so. Sorry if that comes out salty-ish.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    My major premise is that Trump is an ego-maniacal ****.

My premise:

He doesn't have some underlying plan, or some new insight regarding Republican voters.

He's a ****. Most dumbasses say stupid things that don't make sense, but most dumbasses don't have the money Trump does. He's surrounded himself with people who won't tell him no, so he's only become more confident that every one of his thoughts and actions are worthwhile (see the Buzzfeed article from 2012-ish).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement