Guys, My Weekend is Sucking Badly

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,154 Senior Member
So, after five days at the beach in Delaware we came home on Friday. Yesterday morning at breakfast I closed my eyes. My wife asked if I was tired; I opened them, said yes, and closed them again. I was out. She tried asking me questions that are asked when you suspect a stroke and got incoherent mumbling in response.

She called 911, the EMTs took me to the local hospital and then directly to the CAT machine.

I was lucky, the scan showed no damage and I was back to baseline by late afternoon. It has been diagnosed as a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA). I had another scan today and am scheduled for two more tests tomorrow. If all goes well I'll be home for dinner on Monday. (Aside - If you think hospital food is bad, try hospital food with no salt and all liquids thickened with corn starch.)

This comes after my wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer just before Thanksgiving last fall. The prognoses are very good for both of us and we definitely hope the next several months will be better than the last ones.
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,895 Senior Member
    Glad she caught it. Prayers for you both.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,891 Senior Member
    Best of wishes to you both.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Glad your wife was on top of it, George. Best wishes and thoughts for both of you..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    You should tell your wife that you now have super powers or maybe the ability to see the future or something.

Gotta make lemonade with that head lemon.

Glad you are ok.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    Dang. Sorry to hear it, George. You're in my thoughts.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    scary stuff. Glad you are on the mend.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,868 Senior Member
    Take care George. Thoughts and prayers for both you and your wife.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,550 Senior Member
    Very scary and glad you are recovering. Thoughts and prayers to both of you from the high country.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,780 Senior Member
    I wish both of you the best.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    I forget which of my meds are for that, but some of them are. Mom had her TIA on May 11, 2010. How can I remember the exact date? We celebrated her first anniversary with my TIA! Worry about the Mrs George.
    There are worse things in life than being a born cynic.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    George, my friend. I hope you are well. Keep me posted, or just IM me if you wish. Best wishes to you and the wife.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,265 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    So, after five days at the beach in Delaware we came home on Friday. Yesterday morning at breakfast I closed my eyes. My wife asked if I was tired; I opened them, said yes, and closed them again. I was out. She tried asking me questions that are asked when you suspect a stroke and got incoherent mumbling in response.

She called 911, the EMTs took me to the local hospital and then directly to the CAT machine.

I was lucky, the scan showed no damage and I was back to baseline by late afternoon. It has been diagnosed as a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA). I had another scan today and am scheduled for two more tests tomorrow. If all goes well I'll be home for dinner on Monday. (Aside - If you think hospital food is bad, try hospital food with no salt and all liquids thickened with corn starch.)

This comes after my wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer just before Thanksgiving last fall. The prognoses are very good for both of us and we definitely hope the next several months will be better than the last ones.

So your posting from your hospital bed? TIA's can be bad, especially since they are so easy to ignore.

I just spent the weekend at the hospital too. Two trips to the emergency room for blood clots in my mother's femoral artery DVT they call it. We went Saturday afternoon and because the doctor had me so paranoid we went again today when she complained about how badly her leg hurt.

Get better George. I know I can be a pain in the ****, but I still like having you around and best wishes for the missus.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,626 Senior Member
    Get better George. Best to both of you.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Yikes. Feel better. You will both be in my thoughts.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Everybody, stay healthy! That's an order!
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,154 Senior Member
    Thanks to all for the encouraging messages.

I'm back home and feeling fine. Our diet already is heart-healthy, but the docs added Lipitor to my drug inventory and bumped me up from a low-dose to a full strength aspirin daily. Now I have to lose more weight and do more cardio exercise.

Now I have to get cracking on the arrangements for my mother's interment. She died three weeks ago. Dealing with her final month or so added greatly to the stress I already was under, and I'm guessing that stress might have been partly responsible for what happened.

Thanks again to all, your messages are appreciated.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,626 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Now I have to lose more weight and do more cardio exercise.

Glad you're feeling better. I would suggest one of these. :D

20150404_160300-1.jpg
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I went to a Urologist last week for some tests, he asked me how much alcohol I consumed. I told him I have a couple of glasses of wine with dinner. He told me to cut that back to one glass. When I got home my wife asked me how things went and I told her the Doctor told me to have a glass of wine with dinner.

It's all about perspective. This is a true story.

My wife called BS too.

Mike

Glad things are working out, George..
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.