The Liberal Supreme Court

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,381 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Wait a minute. I've never said either of those things, and I do believe it is immoral behavior.

And I am fine with that. I am also fine with you not eating meat on Friday if that is your thing, just use the law to force me to eat fish sticks.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Steven wrote: »
    he should be left alone to say what he wants.

Is the Pope a bigot?

Actually the Pope is saying that we must love gay people and that they are still children of God and will have their place in Heaven. Is Bryan Fischer saying that?

The Pope if given his way would have the world ruled by a theocracy. I don't fault him for that, he is the pope what else he gonna think.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    You won comic. It's the law of the land. You are the one that seems to be using the law in this case. There's nothing I can do about homosexual marriage. I can still hold an opinion about it, and expect to not be called a bigot for it.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    What natural consistency does Bryan Fischer represent? Have you read Russell Moore? Albert Mohler? These very devout orthodox Baptists represent actual believers. Fischer is fringe. Go read what they say, and then call them bigots.

But beyond that, I don't see this as a binary. According to you, a person is either tolerant (defined as accepting of gay marriage) or bigoted (defined by you as opposing gay marriage). But tolerance and acceptance are not synonyms. Tolerance doesn't necessarily constitute agreement. Tolerance, in its normal definition, means something else entirely. Tolerance means toleration for principles, lifestyles, sects, and creeds which must be allowed to exist to further social peace. It does NOT mean acceptance and celebration of unusual or innovative social norms.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,973 Senior Member
    they call them pedophiles.

Why, and who is they.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    The Pope if given his way would have the world ruled by a theocracy. I don't fault him for that, he is the pope what else he gonna think.

I love it when the left says stuff like this. Total denial of reality. We are in the midst of the greatest secular period this country has experienced since before the great awakening, and the country grows more secular every day. There is ZERO danger of a theocracy. The only danger right now is that orthodox religion dies out entirely in the West. While that seems farfetched, it's still more likely than a theocracy taking hold.

Why are we talking about theocracy?
    From Father James Martin,
    No issue brings out so much hatred from so many Catholics as homosexuality. Even after over 25 years as a Jesuit, the level of hatred around homosexuality is nearly unbelievable to me, especially when I think of all of the wonderful LGBT friends I have.

The Catholic church must do a much better job of teaching what the Catechism says: that we should treat our LGBT brothers and sisters with "respect, sensitivity and compassion."

But God wants more. God wants us to love. And not a twisted, crabbed, narrow tolerance, which often comes in the guise of condemnations, instructions and admonitions that try to masquerade as love, but actual love.

Love means: getting to know LGBT men and women, spending time with them, listening to them, being challenged by them, hoping the best for them, and wanting them to be a part of your lives, every bit as much as straight friends are part of your lives.

Love first. Everything else later. In fact, everything else is meaningless without love.
    sherb wrote: »
    I love it when the left says stuff like this. Total denial of reality. We are in the midst of the greatest secular period this country has experienced since before the great awakening, and the country grows more secular every day. There is ZERO danger of a theocracy. The only danger right now is that orthodox religion dies out entirely in the West. While that seems farfetched, it's still more likely than a theocracy taking hold.

Why are we talking about theocracy?

Who knows. Just a random thought concerning the Pope's freak out of Gay Marriage. I guess it is not clear cut. I mean you can oppose Gay Marriage and think Homosexuals deserve love and compassion. But those two thoughts rarely exist in the same person.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    expect to not be called a bigot for it.

You are going to be sorely disappointed then.
    Actually the Pope is saying that we must love gay people and that they are still children of God and will have their place in Heaven.

Presumably as long as they're baptized.
    Is Bryan Fischer saying that?

Who the hell is Bryan Fischer? I didn't get the memo.

Why is this any different than anybody else who believes homosexuality is a sin?
    Buford wrote: »
    Why, and who is they.

Well you for one.
    What natural consistency does Bryan Fischer represent?

Bryan Fischer votes Republican. You vote Republican. Therefore, Bryan Fischer represents you.
    I just got done explaining this to Buffy.
    Presumably as long as they're baptized.

Why is this any different than anybody else who believes homosexuality is a sin?

Try google.

The difference is one believes they are human beings that deserve to have a job and are deserving of love the other does not.

Do you believe that gays should be allowed to be teachers, doctors, lawyers, or Boy Scouts? Well the people that are being called bigots think they shouldn't. How is that not bigotry, regardless of its origin?

He's a fringe religious kook. Spends most of his time fending off attacks from other religious adherents. He's sort of a Saul Alinski type, the type of right-winger the left loves to hate. More influential in the eyes of the left than he is in reality.
    What natural consistency does Bryan Fischer represent? Have you read Russell Moore? Albert Mohler?

He represents the bigots. Show me where those other two have been called bigots.
    The fact that comic even knows who Bryan Fischer is tells me all about where he gets his info and the reliability of it.
    He's a fringe religious kook. Spends most of his time fending off attacks from other religious adherents. He's sort of a Saul Alinski type, the type of right-winger the left loves to hate. More influential in the eyes of the left than he is in reality.

Apparently. Hell, the WSJ will throw a bone every once in awhile to Ted Cruz, and I've never seen or heard of this guy. I like to think I'm somewhat more informed than say the average American that thinks the Flintstones is non-fiction.

He is also one of the leading spokesmen for the Family Research Council, a group whose hiney must be kissed to get the "Christian" endorsement.
    Apparently. Hell, the WSJ will throw a bone every once in awhile to Ted Cruz, and I've never seen or heard of this guy. I like to think I'm somewhat more informed than say the average American that thinks the Flintstones is non-fiction.

I don't know why you would not know, I mean you are aware of CPAC, right?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenricher/2012/02/10/cpac-bans-gay-group-but-not-for-the-sake-of-young-attendants/
    The fact that comic even knows who Bryan Fischer is tells me all about where he gets his info and the reliability of it.

Well he is the one those sources are calling a bigot. But none of the people you mentioned.

Of course. And I know the GoProud story. How in the early days it had support from even people like Ann Coulter. Of course, it then went on to alienate everybody and die. Republicans don't like being called bigots - even by other Republicans.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,811 Senior Member
    He is also one of the leading spokesmen for the Family Research Council, a group whose hiney must be kissed to get the "Christian" endorsement.
    I believe he's with the American Family Association, not the FRC.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I have to say if I see one more "Rainbow" trout picture I'm going to lose it..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    I believe he's with the American Family Association, not the FRC.

And they fired him-in January.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,331 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I have to say if I see one more "Rainbow" trout picture I'm going to lose it..

Mike

Would a brown trout rise to a Confederate Humpy?
    Then all the more reason to know who he is.
    Just so I'm clear here...nobody knows he is, nobody know he worked for, and it doesn't even matter since he was fired anyway, yet this guy speaks for the nearly 1/3 of American voters registered Republicans?
    Of course. And I know the GoProud story. How in the early days it had support from even people like Ann Coulter. Of course, it then went on to alienate everybody and die. Republicans don't like being called bigots - even by other Republicans.

Read the article they were asked not to participate because hey were gay. But if they called people like Tony Perkins a bigot, are they wrong?

“While activists like to claim that pedophilia is a completely distinct orientation from homosexuality, evidence shows a disproportionate overlap between the two. … It is a homosexual problem.”
    — FRC President Tony Perkins, FRC website, 2010
    Just so I'm clear here...nobody knows he is, nobody know he worked for, and it doesn't even matter since he was fired anyway, yet this guy speaks for the nearly 1/3 of American voters registered Republicans?

No you are not clear.

So who says that 1/3rd of registered Republicans are bigots? These are very specific people that are being called bigots not everybody that opposes gay marriage.
    No you are not clear.

So who says that 1/3rd of registered Republicans are bigots? These are very specific people that are being called bigots not everybody that opposes gay marriage.

We're all the same as Bryan Fischer. I mean the only reason why anybody can be against gay marriage is because they're either bigots or the pope.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.