Home The Lodge

Pittsburgh

I don't think people realize how pretty that city has become. There's also no better drive from the airport (during the right season). Coming out of that tunnel and seeing the city is just stunning.

And then there's Bromante's.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,545 Senior Member
    Do you mean Primanti's? That looks like an insane sandwich.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Yep, yep. Got the name wrong. It's been about five years since I've been there.

Amazing sandwich. We'll pick some up and bring them with us for lunch meetings at clients.
    Then how do you avoid napping at the meeting?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I don't get to eat so much. I'm the guy doing the talking at these meetings.

I was in Montreal and Toronto on Wednesday and Thursday. I had a management team with me presenting to clients, so I wasn't doing the talking...staying awake was hard after listening to the same presentation, same questions, same answers again and again. I think we did eight meetings in Montreal on Wednesday.
    Nothing worse than being in a meeting with muckity mucks and feeling yourself get drowsy. But funny when you see it happening to someone else.
    Years ago, I was at a 1 pm meeting in L.A. with a management team as part of it's company's initial public offering roadshow. 1 pm, in LA, in my industry is late. The poor bastards are at work at 4, 4:30 in the morning.

Anyway, it's the CEO, CFO, the client, and me around a small table in a closed conference room. Management's doing the presentation, going through its slide deck, and the client falls asleep. He was maybe two feet away from the CEO.

CEO looks at me and asks what he should do? I've got no idea. CEO reaches over, whacks the guy on the shoulder and continues talking like the guy never nodded off. The client totally tries to fake it.

We wound up getting a 10% order from the client (that's typically the limit that one investor can buy in an IPO).
    Lol..........
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,363 Senior Member
    For a college class, I can get away with suddenly starting to talk loudly and announce "listen, i just heard that a cobra (scorpion, rattler, etc) got loose from the biology lab next door an hour ago, and it may have gotten into this room!" Its amazing how that message will seep into the consciousness and wake up students. Or, by the way, someone came in a second ago and said they lost a $100 bill somewhere in this classroom. What I haven't done, but want to, is to quietly have everyone exit the classroom, and then write "imminent bomb threat, get out now" on the board, then leave the sleepers alone. I don't do those stunts like i used to, because many of my students these days are working two and even 3 jobs.
    In the business setting, I suppose you could also just start talking about how there is a news bulletin about a massive layoff of the company just announced on CNBC. Or that the Dow is down 4,000 in the last hour and people are panic selling. Or, "I just got back from West Africa, and I'm feeling a little feverish, but I will carry on. Would anyone like some of the candy I brought in?" Of course I can get away with that stuff, you might not be able to do that.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    There are still people holding onto the old stereotype of air pollution from the steel mills.
    Went to Primanti's when the wife and I were there last week. It's a mandatory stop for me. I really should have taken a fly rod with me but we kept busy enough.
    Take some time and see a game at PNC Park the next time you are there, Steven.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement