Home The Lodge

Bernie Sanders AMA on Reddit

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 10,585 Senior Member
1. He wants college to be free for all
2. He said investing in solar, wind, geothermal, hydro, alternative sources of energy is more cost effective than building new gen nuclear plants.

That's the two biggest takeaways I saw. He ranted plenty about bought and paid for Congress and the Koch brothers.

Didn't answer two questions about gun control.

Replies

• flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Free for all equates to paid for by all through taxes, can you afford another tax? I can't. But agree on the alternative energies.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    There is no way they are more "cost effective". I agree with pursuing the technology. But for every solar farm and geothermal and wind, there HAS to be and will be a fossil fuel backup. Alternatives cannot provide on time power to the grid.

Nuclear needs to happen in a big way.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member
    flytrap wrote: »
    Free for all equates to paid for by all through taxes, can you afford another tax? I can't. But agree on the alternative energies.

Maybe we just don't pay $1.5 trillion on a plane that doesn't work.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    There is no way they are more "cost effective". I agree with pursuing the technology. But for every solar farm and geothermal and wind, there HAS to be and will be a fossil fuel backup. Alternatives cannot provide on time power to the grid.

Nuclear needs to happen in a big way.

Does the cost effective analysis you're doing include waste disposal?
    I don't know numbers. Maybe you could help with that.

But to say spending money on technology that doesn't have the capability to produce right now is more cost effective than a full time, no back up needed nuclear power plant is disingenuous.

Like I said, I fully support investing in alternatives. And I have always maintained that coal is dangerous and filthy. I want us to get away from coal and gas, build nuclear while investing in alternatives.
    Maybe we just don't pay $1.5 trillion on a plane that doesn't work.
    Agreed

.. ...
    But to say spending money on technology that doesn't have the capability to produce right now is more cost effective than a full time, no back up needed nuclear power plant is disingenuous.

Is he talking about spending money on building these plants now, or full pressing into making them viable alternatives? I read it as the latter. I don't think that it is disingenous to say that in the long run, investing in these alternatives is a more cost effective solution than nuclear considering the waste disposal problems associated with nuclear.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Hextall, you're from Vermont. Tell us all about Bernie Sanders.
    I don't know numbers. Maybe you could help with that.

What are the start-up costs on a nuclear power plant? What are the costs of disposing of waste that must be stored and protected from the public for a 1,000 years? What happens if there is a natural disaster and the plant is compromised? Have you really weighed these costs and very real risks against the potential power output? Can we build one in your backyard?

I think nuclear is outdated technology that is well past its usefulness and it certainly has not weened anyone off of fossil fuels even in regions where nuclear plants exist. Solar has great potential. Look what they have achieved in Germany. I know Germany gets more sun than America, but still. Then there is wind, geo-thermal and other potential sources that not only could provide us with plenty of energy but could make sure there is still an inhabitable planet for your children and their children to come.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Found the IMA, and his very next sentence is about waste from nuclear being the defining difference between the two technologies. I agree with him.
    sherb wrote: »
    Hextall, you're from Vermont. Tell us all about Bernie Sanders.

When my lawyer turns against me, who can I turn to?
    What are the start-up costs on a nuclear power plant? What are the costs of disposing of waste that must be stored and protected from the public for a 1,000 years? What happens if there is a natural disaster and the plant is compromised? Have you really weighed these costs and very real risks against the potential power output? Can we build one in your backyard?

I think nuclear is outdated technology that is well past its usefulness and it certainly has not weened anyone off of fossil fuels even in regions where nuclear plants exist. Solar has great potential. Look what they have achieved in Germany. I know Germany gets more sun than America, but still. Then there is wind, geo-thermal and other potential sources that not only could provide us with plenty of energy but could make sure there is still an inhabitable planet for your children and their children to come.

I've said this before, there IS one in my backyard. Plant Hatch in Baxley GA. There are two more slotted to come online in Savannah in the next couple of years.

I'm not scared of nuclear power.

And you're talking as if I said no to any and all alternatives. I'll say it for the third time in this thread. I'm FOR investing in alternative energy. It's decades down the road though and in the meantime I want us off coal. It's killing my river and ocean with mercury.
    So we can keep the waste in your backyard then also.
    Hextall wrote: »
    When my lawyer turns against me, who can I turn to?

Live free or die, Ethan Allen. Live free or die.

I think nuclear is outdated technology that is well past its usefulness and it certainly has not weened anyone off of fossil fuels even in regions where nuclear plants exist. Solar has great potential. Look what they have achieved in Germany.

Yeah. Look at France.
    This thread reminds me of this great West Wing episode where the staffers bring in some lobbyists to talk about alternative energy, and all the lobbyists do is point out the problems with every other source of alternative energy besides theirs.
    When the president of the Sierra Club said the worst thing he ever did was protest nuclear power because what it got him was coal, I'm not seeing a good argument against nuclear.
    You guys are fine with coal, right?
    When the president of the Sierra Club said the worst thing he ever did was protest nuclear power because what it got him was coal, I'm not seeing a good argument against nuclear.

That is because the choice was nuclear or coal. That is not the choice we are presented with.
    I'd rather argue alternative energy solutions with a pig farmer.

oh... wait.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,023 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    I'd rather argue alternative energy solutions with a pig farmer.

oh... wait.

He is qualified to discuss handling hazardous waste
    Yeah. Look at France.

Look at Japan

Look at Chernobyl.
    That is because the choice was nuclear or coal. That is not the choice we are presented with.
    Yes it is! You are not going to take a single coal or nuke plant offline by building a field full of wind mills. Not one. The tech isn't there yet. When the sun stops shining or the wind stops blowing, do we just live with the blackouts? No.

That's the biggest hurdle I see facing alternative energy is transmission, storage, and the ability to provide peak load.
    Look at Japan

Look at Chernobyl.
    Look at America. We don't have nukes built on fault lines or in areas prone to tsunamis. Same as France. What are they, 100% nuke power now?

I get it. You don't like nukes. Then tell me how we get rid of them and coal and provide power to the grid.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,023 Senior Member
    Look at America. We don't have nukes built on fault lines or in areas probe to tsunamis. Same as France. What are they, 100% nuke power now?

I get it. You don't like nukes. Then tell me how we get rid of them and coal and provide power to the grid.

Solar panels on F35s
    The tech isn't there yet.

Agreed, let's invest in making it a more viable alternative. Which is what Bernie is saying.

I also have no problem investing a shitton of money in trying to figure out the nuclear waste problem.

Anything to reduce our dependence on coal.
    Geothermal vent on Bernie Sanders hot air. Hydro power from that drooling idiot Barney Frank.
    Spent fuel rods as hats for gingers.
    Look at Japan

Look at Chernobyl.

Two examples? Actually there's only a total of Three, plus one near miss. And there are currently nuclear power plants in 33 countries.

Couldn't you just as easily say look At American Airlines flight 191? Air travel is unsafe. Take a car.

Car= Coal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement