speaking of manscaping.....

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
had a little done myself last week, providing clear access to my femoral artery for what apparently is going to become my annual ritual of having aheart catheterization.

This time instead of being prompted by a heart attack, I started noticing (pretty hard not to notice, actually) chest pains every time I'd walk the dog a block or two.

Since I *HAD* been walking her 2 miles every day without incident, that was a pretty dramatic change. After a few days of denial and hoping it was indigestion, I decided to have my doctor take a look.

They found a 90% blockage of one of my coronary arteries, which, if left untreated, probably would have brought about another heart attack sooner than later.

in any event, a 90 minute procedure and they had it opened up, re-inforced with a stent, and all sewn back up -- an incision the size of a pencil (if that!), just a local anesthetic, and I was awake and alert to watch the whole thing on the TV monitor.

I'm contrasting that with my dad's experience during one of his two bypass operations, with his chest cut open, veins removed from his leg to use in the bypass, 6 weeks of recovery, most of it spent on pain pills, and then he STILL died afterwards......and am grateful to be living in the time we're in. I was out of the hospital the following day, walking my dog by that evening, and mowing the lawn less than 48 hours after leaving the hospital. And for the most part I feel great.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,579 Senior Member
    Do you feel the stint going in? Does it hurt at all?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    absolutely no pain during the whole thing, other than when they stitched up the small incision, there was some pressure where they tightened up the knots because you don't really want the femoral artery leaking.....

oh, and I guess since it took them three tries to get an IV tap in, by the third time it was starting to get a bit annoying......
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I thought you were going to show the picture of that guy again...

Be Well!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,244 Senior Member
    Did they let you tape the procedure so you can show it at family gatherings?
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,811 Senior Member
    Good news, and good that you did not delay too long.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    A scientist with a heart!?! Now I have heard of everything!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    A scientist with a heart!?! Now I have heard of everything!
    They gave him the heart when he became a photographer. Stem cells.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Get well Scott, there are storms to be chased..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Glad you're doing well Scott.

I really need that photo assistant job.
    absolutely no pain during the whole thing, other than when they stitched up the small incision, there was some pressure where they tightened up the knots because you don't really want the femoral artery leaking.....

oh, and I guess since it took them three tries to get an IV tap in, by the third time it was starting to get a bit annoying......

My father had one and thought it was a procedure we all should try. So I was wondering. He said his made him feel much better and stronger. Hopefully yours will do the same. Glad to see you are still able to get out and fish and go on your photo safari.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    a year ago march, I had the stent procedure done on the left anterior descending (LAD) artery, otherwise known as the "widow maker" because it feeds the heart. It was 99% blocked. In at 10 am, go home at 4 P.M. and little if any pain. The tube and stent was inserted into an artery in my WRIST. I had hiked about 3 miles a month before, with what i thought were cramps in the upper stomach. Lucky to be here. Pretty remarkable work. Crazy thing was, the scans said that was the only constriction, and I was told all the other arteries looked fine, and to do whatever I want.

Never ignore chest pain.
    Oh and on the manscaping, very freeing am I right, er uh um, that is what I have heard anyway.
    Oh and on the manscaping, very freeing am I right, er uh um, that is what I have heard anyway.

**** right. Very easy to nick yourself though. I guess I need to try a straight razor.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member
    Itchy.

Scott, glad the procedure went well and you are doing better! Get well.!

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    The tube and stent was inserted into an artery in my WRIST.

during my previous incarceration.....er, hospitalization, the doctor initially began the catheter from the wrist, but apparently my veins take some odd twists and turns (perhaps related to my shoulder impingement?) and they couldn't access some of the spots they wanted to look at via that route, so they ended up going up the femoral artery also. this time they figured "just go that route to begin with"
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    You know, if you ask, and maybe leave some bills on the side of the bed, they can do an "enhancement" for you also. I sure am glad I went for it, and the lady certainly is. Just be sure to whisper to the surgeon you want one, and maybe they will fix you up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.