You guys ever do anything with balsa?

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 10,244 Senior Member
My grandpa's favorite bream bug is no longer being made. It's a point nosed, nearly cone shaped top water bug. He doesn't like the squared or hollow mouthed bugs as much.

I found out the manufacturer, Accardo Tackle Company, went defunct. I'd like to make some for him. Hopefully he is softened by my poorly imitated, almost child like construction and puts me back in the will.

Or does everyone just tie feathers and hair to a hook?

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    Build model planes.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,244 Senior Member
    Do redbreast and bream hit those?
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    Sure. I've seen redbreast and the like hit stuff they can't possibly swallow. They ain't the brightest of fish. I can wade and if I stand still, I can cast while some of them come up and nibble at the hair on my legs.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,584 Senior Member
    Yes but I promised her I would keep it a secret.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Buffco wrote: »
    My grandpa's favorite bream bug is no longer being made. It's a point nosed, nearly cone shaped top water bug. He doesn't like the squared or hollow mouthed bugs as much.

I found out the manufacturer, Accardo Tackle Company, went defunct. I'd like to make some for him. Hopefully he is softened by my poorly imitated, almost child like construction and puts me back in the will.

Or does everyone just tie feathers and hair to a hook?

Sounds like a Sneaky Pete.

0619_flyex.jpg
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Most fly shops carry some of the foam popper bodies, basically, the sneaky pete just puts then on backwards.
    There are worse things in life than being a born cynic.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,015 Senior Member
    If you have a Dremel Tool, it's fairly simple. Buy yourself some balsa dowel the right size at a craft store or hobby shop, cut it into approximate lengths. drill a hole into a length, insert a piece of stiff wire or a finishing nail , and chuck the wire into the Dremel. You can shape the stuff with grades of sandpaper or with coarse-grade nail files (yeah, sold right next to the Sally Hansen) and produce a pretty good popper-shape. Cut a slit in the bottom, glue in a popper hook, fill the slit with a mixture of Elmer's Wood Glue and the sanding dust you've swept up from your work area (or model car filler putty,) let it dry, sand that area smooth, and the prime and paint it with acrylics and finish with a couple of coats of Sally's.

It's not rocket surgery, but it's time-consuming. If you want to see some examples, go to The Drake fly-tying section and thumb through "The 'Whatcha Tying?' thread. Good luck with your endeavors, and hog whiskers oughta make great legs!

Jim
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Does it look like this?

pecks_1364.600.JPG

You can buy pre-shaped popper bodies.

Cabelas sells a couple of packages for poppers:

8 piece poppers

32 piece popper set without box
    No it looks close to the Sneaky Pete. Papa has those as well but doesn't like them.
    You could get the balsa heads for the sneaky pete and tie your variation.
    You could get the balsa heads for the sneaky pete and tie your variation.

It's the shape that's different. I'm trying to find a picture.
    You can look at Umpqua and Charlie's Flybox, they may have something that can work.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.