Sherb...

2»

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I use an indicator of some sort mainly because it's so much simpler to adjust for different depths without having to retie the dropper..

Mike

When I do nymph I don't use an indicator at all...because you have to keep adjusting for different depths. I raise or lower the rod tip instead.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,812 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    So whats wrong with a dry and dropper, with a nymph on the dropper? If a fish grabs the nymph the dry immediately swerves or goes under, giving the immediate excitement of a strike. And the rig is way less likely to hang up on the bottom as you do with lots of weight. And yeah, casting such a rig directly upstream works better. Dry and dropper is about all I use anymore, unless its 2 dries.

That's not the same as dredging the bottom.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    George K wrote: »
    That's not the same as dredging the bottom.

This be true and one of the reasons I dislike nymphing. Nothing sucks worse than breaking off from a snag, spending the next 10-15 minutes re-rigging only to snag and break off again 3 casts later. When that happens my tourettes syndrome kicks in. :D

Truth be told I like dry flies, swinging wets and streamers...in that order. And it's rare that I fish upstream. Only the few times a year that I fish the driftless area of this state do I fish upstream...only because there isn't any other option due to the small width of the streams.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Hmmm, I never suspected Joe and I were such kindred spirits, at least in the way we like to fish. I do remember meeting Joe at a fly-fishing conclave, gees, Joe, how many years back was that? And knowing we fish alike can't do much for your reputation, lol. Are you still into pyromania?:confused:
    There are worse things in life than being a born cynic.
    Joe K. wrote: »
    This be true and one of the reasons I dislike nymphing. Nothing sucks worse than breaking off from a snag, spending the next 10-15 minutes re-rigging only to snag and break off again 3 casts later. When that happens my tourettes syndrome kicks in. :D

Truth be told I like dry flies, swinging wets and streamers...in that order. And it's rare that I fish upstream. Only the few times a year that I fish the driftless area of this state do I fish upstream...only because there isn't any other option due to the small width of the streams.

That describes me as well. The differences are that I fish dries upstream most of the time, because I can, and swing and mend streamers for shad and steelhead. With nymphs it's 95% swinging them and 5% upstream.

I fish for fun and relaxation. Nymphing with shot is not fun.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I think catching is fun.

Your mileage may vary.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member

Pretty much the same except I do fish dries upstream..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    sherb wrote: »
    I think catching is fun.

Your mileage may vary.

I think fishing is fun without snagging bottom. :p
    ricinus wrote: »
    Pretty much the same except I do fish dries upstream..

Mike

Most of the time during a hatch I find the fish get spooked from the line landing on the water. I've watched rising fish disappear so many times after casting a dry fly to them upstream.

I fish downstream primarily because it's engrained in me from my worm fishing days I and I believe in presenting the fly before the line. Plus downstream works great for streamers and swinging wets.

I'm headed out in about 2 hours to do some downstream fishing. :D Hendricksons should be popping today.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,244 Senior Member
    I have no idea what you guys are taking about.

I use spinning reels, my Abu Garcia Garcia for bass and salt, and my trusty old zebco 33.
    Most of the time during a hatch I find the fish get spooked from the line landing on the water. I've watched rising fish disappear so many times after casting a dry fly to them upstream.

Try longer leaders. Some of the places I fish in PA that hold wary, educated trout require 15' leaders and 6X-8X tippet.

I fish downstream primarily because it's engrained in me from my worm fishing days I and I believe in presenting the fly before the line. Plus downstream works great for streamers and swinging wets.

I'm headed out in about 2 hours to do some downstream fishing. :D Hendricksons should be popping today.

Upstream or down, I'm not really anal about it. What ever gives me a good presentation without spooking fish. I like upstream because you can catch the tail end fish without spooking the pool.

Most of the mountain streams are closed till June15th to protect the spawners, so it's lakes for a bit. Ice is off and turnover should be done so heading out Tuesday..

Mike
    Buffco wrote: »
    I have no idea what you guys are taking about.

I use spinning reels, my Abu Garcia Garcia for bass and salt, and my trusty old zebco 33.

I blame your education system for this..

Mike

It just occurred to me today is the last day of the C&R early season, and I wasted it trying for white bass, sigh.
    That trusty old Zebco 33 is a world class reel, before I became enlightened (er, addicted to fly fishing) I had a couple of them, the first lasted 21 years, the second a disappointing 18, this was fishing probably 150+ days a year.

The newer 33s not so much, too much plastic in the gears.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I think catching is fun.

Your mileage may vary.

+1. I started out fly fishing lakes in a float tube using nymphs and have carried that over to streams. I hardly ever use a dry but catch fish and have a blast when I get out (which sadly is not very often).
    I
    George K wrote: »
    Try longer leaders. Some of the places I fish in PA that hold wary, educated trout require 15' leaders and 6X-8X tippet.

MO, Easier to get upstream from them and present the fly first instead of having to lengthen the leader. I have a wicked downstream mend where I can float a dry a few hundred feet without drag 95% of the time.

That's just me though. Everyone has a system that works for them.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,580 Senior Member
    The problem with the downstream presentation is that now the fish can see you.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Not the places I fish. We have tannic water in some streams and most of places I fish the river is wide enough where it is not an issue. More often than not I'm standing on one side of the stream casting downstream to a fish on the opposite bank.

• Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    seppala wrote: »
    This is the least fun description of hobby I've ever read.

that was my reaction as well.

I've got nothing AGAINST nymphing, mind you. And I admire those who can do it well.

but I get no enjoyment out of it, even when I'm having a good day on nymphs the temptation is always there to switch to a dry just to make the fishing, if not the catching, more visual.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.