One would think that if the alum in question

was Chester A. Arthur, that one would be more circumspect about one's humble-brags.

But one would be mistaken about that.

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Chester A. Arthur was a fine gentleman. He's hardly the subject of a silly joke.

[/harumph]
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    The C.A. Authur Scandal, worse than Watergate!

"Arthur Hinman would publish a book, How A British Subject Became President of the United States, the substance of which was related in a Brooklyn Daily Eagle article dated June 2, 1884:

The main charge of the book is that William Chester Alan Arthur was born in Dunham Flats, Canada, on [sic] March, 1828, and that he represented himself to have been born at North Fairfield, Vermont, the birthplace of a younger brother, Chester Abell Arthur, who was born in 1830, and died a year later. It is stated that in 1834 when another son was born he received the name of William Arthur, Jr., and then the name William was dropped by William Chester Alan Arthur, and he was henceforth known as Chester Alan Arthur. The records, copies of which are given, show that in 1845 Chester Alan Arthur entered Union College, stating his age to be 16.
    Reeves dismisses Hinman's theory, while admitting that President Arthur lied about his age.
  • see, news you can use.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    and there's more, WAY more!

Aurthur became president after the assassination of President James Garfield in 1881. "As Guiteau was being arrested after the shooting, he repeatedly said, "I am a Stalwart of the Stalwarts! I did it and I want to be arrested! Arthur is President now!" This very briefly led to unfounded suspicions that Arthur or his supporters had put Guiteau up to the crime."
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I wonder if he is related to Brother Jonathan?

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,575 Senior Member
    From what I understand in the original plans for Mt Rushmore, there was to be a 5th face and CA Arthur was the pick.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Guys, I lived in the same residence hall that Chet lived in. Granted it was only one year and not 30 Years in an operating room, but I still think that makes me the most qualified here to comment.
    Guys, I am sorry. When a fellow Union College Dutchman gets slandered, I have to take action.
    I was going to say "BOFA DEEZ NUTS", but you apologized so all is good..

Mike
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    Guys, I am sorry. When a fellow Union College Dutchman gets slandered, I have to take action.

Dutchman? Seriously?
  • Hextall wrote: »
    Guys, I lived in the same residence hall that Chet lived in. Granted it was only one year and not 30 Years in an operating room, but I still think that makes me the most qualified here to comment.

See, the problem here is that no one gets this joke except me and comic, and I'm the only one that finds it funny.
    sherb wrote: »
    See, the problem here is that no one gets this joke except me and comic, and I'm the only one that finds it funny.

Honestly... sometimes I make jokes that I know only one or two people will get. I'm ok with this.

Or everyone else who saw the thread where Hextall posted the screen capture of this interaction.

Sheesh. A guy makes a flyfishing documentary about himself, all of a sudden he's special.
    seppala wrote: »
    Dutchman? Seriously?

Nothing is more serious than a pissed off Dutchman.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbPClASLOpxMi6rq_CUXhURv6kyc40704OpRuLkG4AYdL89lxbpA

GetImage.iaspx?type=1&scale=58&schoolid=2063061&p=5009&pc=maroon&d=46023&up_pp=Enter%20Name%7C34%7C2015&up_ss=m&ver=15&r=0
    Or everyone else who saw the thread where Hextall posted the screen capture of this interaction.

Sheesh. A guy makes a flyfishing documentary about himself, all of a sudden he's special.

anchorman.jpg
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • yeah. . . not my best.

Not my worst, but yeah. I can do better. I know I can!
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    Nothing is more serious than a pissed off Dutchman.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbPClASLOpxMi6rq_CUXhURv6kyc40704OpRuLkG4AYdL89lxbpA

GetImage.iaspx?type=1&scale=58&schoolid=2063061&p=5009&pc=maroon&d=46023&up_pp=Enter%20Name%7C34%7C2015&up_ss=m&ver=15&r=0

Why aren't we standing up for Dutch rights. This is totally offensive.
    yeah. . . Not my best.

Not my worst, but yeah. I can do better. I know i can!

let me in your movie!!!
  • oh, you're in. Steven is in, Comic is in. . .

Hex is out. This is an art film, not some idiot frat boy prank. I won't stand for tomfoolery.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    let me in your movie!!!

You'll need to audition first. Have a seat over on that couch over there and the director will be right with you.
    oh, you're in. Steven is in, Comic is in. . .

Hex is out. This is an art film, not some idiot frat boy prank. I won't stand for tomfoolery.

Cool this should definitely get me that SAG card.
    oh, you're in. Steven is in, Comic is in. . .

Well screw you guys.

I am going to make my own movie with even more slower motion! Even more panning over gurgling water!

This is going to be like that famous movie battle between Armageddon and Deep Impact. And mine will have Morgan Freeman.
    jbilly wrote: »
    Why aren't we standing up for Dutch rights. This is totally offensive.
    Our shoes aren't made for standing up. Too many splinters.
    Well screw you guys.

I am going to make my own movie with even more slower motion! Even more panning over gurgling water!

This is going to be like that famous movie battle between Armageddon and Deep Impact. And mine will have Morgan Freeman.

Can I be in this one.. I'll bring stuff that will self- ignite..

Mike
    ricinus wrote: »
    Can I be in this one.. I'll bring stuff that will self- ignite..

Mike
    Please state which president attended the same college as you. That is the requirement to be in my snuff film... I mean movie.
  • Hextall wrote: »
    Please state which president attended the same college as you. .

Vice President elect Sarah P***N.
    Please state which president attended the same college as you. That is the requirement to be in my snuff film... I mean movie.

I'm Canadian, we don't have that President stuff.. I was in the same city as Queen Elizabeth II. Wait!! this is a snuff film??

Mike
    You can be in the sequel.
    ricinus wrote: »
    I'm Canadian, we don't have that President stuff.. I was in the same city as Queen Elizabeth II. Wait!! this is a snuff film??

Mike
    So Obama.

You are in.
    I am not sure about these other animals, but I appreciate that you are capitalizing her whole last name as if you're yelling a cuss word.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.