A Deliberate Life

NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior MemberPosts: 9,991 Senior Member
Much betterer than discussing drones, wars and energy credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnnzDJMLZX8

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,579 Senior Member
    Am I the only one that thinks that montages are an over used device in fishing videos?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Am I the only one that thinks that montages are an over used device in fishing videos?

I was just about to complain, actually.

Why is everything in a fly-fishing video super slo-mo? Tying flies slo-mo, casting, hooking, laughing, standing by your truck drinking budweiser. . .slo mo.

And as a personal matter I am getting tired of seeing the ditch in the desert making it into all of these films. They make it look like some kind of idyllic paradise, instead of the zoo it is.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Why is everything in a fly-fishing video super slo-mo? Tying flies slo-mo, casting, hooking, laughing, standing by your truck drinking budweiser. . .slo mo.

Pick any hobby that people shoot video for...it's not just fly fishing.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=944529642226026
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Has anyone gone to these IF4 Film Festivals or what ever they are called??

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    I have been to the FF film festivals when I was in NY. Now it is too far to drive for something like that.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherb wrote: »
    I was just about to complain, actually.

That's real speed. It's just tough to move very fast while one is gazing at his navel.
  • And another thing: why does everything have to be some kind of spiritual quest? Can't I just go fishing?
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    That's real speed. It's just tough to move very fast while one is gazing at his navel.

Dude. Wicked burn.

I get sick and tired of all stuff like this. Everything anybody does is a heroic effort that should be celebrated with slo-mo sequences.

Show me some scenery, not some **** slowly smiling.
    And another thing: why does everything have to be some kind of spiritual quest? Can't I just go fishing?

****. You beat me to it.

I blame Emerson and Thoreau. Honestly. Those guys were self-loving dbags.
    There's starting to be some better stuff on WFN, but Jeez I get tired of watching people catch fish..

Mike
  • seppala wrote: »
    ****. You beat me to it.

I blame Emerson and Thoreau. Honestly. Those guys were self-loving dbags.

Thoreau would have defaulted on his student loans in order to protest slavery.

<Crossthreadfortehwin>
    And another thing: why does everything have to be some kind of spiritual quest? Can't I just go fishing?

Exactly. The guy chose to be a fishing guide, not a monk.
    ricinus wrote: »
    There's starting to be some better stuff on WFN, but Jeez I get tired of watching people catch fish..

Mike

I like the ones that are travel shows. I get to see what it is like to fish somewhere I will never be able to go. Plus I suppose if I was better at catching fish, I wouldn't have to watch other people do it.

Did I mention we have no water?
    Can we all just agree that this is better than discussing drones, war crimes and energy credits?

Fercripesake...tough crowd at the lodge.
    I like the ones that are travel shows. I get to see what it is like to fish somewhere I will never be able to go. Plus I suppose if I was better at catching fish, I wouldn't have to watch other people do it.

Did I mention we have no water?

Lots of water here, unfortunately it's rather hard..

Mike
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Can we all just agree that this is better than discussing drones, war crimes and energy credits?

Yeah, you got piled on. Sorry about that.

BOFA DEEZ NUTS

Mike
  • seppala wrote: »
    Yeah, you got piled on. Sorry about that.

Sorry, Joe. Not directed at you.
    No need to apologize. It's all good. :D

Bofa!!
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Let me ask my fellow alum if I should be sorry:

Me: Chet, should I be sorry?
    Chester Arthur: Hells no. You're a champion!
    Me: BOFA!
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member
    Maybe I'm missing something here but the producers came across as total azzhats to me. Why? At about 1:58 they show someone igniting a streamside campfire. Unless those logs are made of thermite, they had to of poured an accelerant on it. Who the %^&# dumps lighter fluid/gasoline on the ground next to a **** stream. Yeah, those azzholes are all about "the soul of fishing" until they decide they need to dump a cup of petro-chemicals right next to the water in order to get their shot. F them.
    How about this one sherb?

http://youtu.be/9SeNfxuCq-w
    How about this one sherb?

http://youtu.be/9SeNfxuCq-w

Hahaha. The sad thing is I've seen guys like that..

Mike
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something here but the producers came across as total azzhats to me. Why? At about 1:58 they show someone igniting a streamside campfire. Unless those logs are made of thermite, they had to of poured an accelerant on it. Who the %^&# dumps lighter fluid/gasoline on the ground next to a **** stream. Yeah, those azzholes are all about "the soul of fishing" until they decide they need to dump a cup of petro-chemicals right next to the water in order to get their shot. F them.

When I was in the AF, my roommate worked at the test track where we tested missile guidance systems and other equipment. The rockets that would operate on the track used solid rocket fuel and there was always some that would come out of the rocket during the test. He kept a few sticks of it in the barracks. I asked why would you take that stuff home. He said, "Its awesome for starting camp fires." I was never happier than the day I got a new roommate.
    When I was in the AF, my roommate worked at the test track where we tested missile guidance systems and other equipment. The rockets that would operate on the track used solid rocket fuel and there was always some that would come out of the rocket during the test. He kept a few sticks of it in the barracks. I asked why would you take that stuff home. He said, "Its awesome for starting camp fires." I was never happier than the day I got a new roommate.

Sorta like gasoline and used motor oil mixed half and half.

Mike
    It burns white hot.
    Sounds nasty..

Mike
    It was scary considering how little it took to set it off.
    I remember in chemistry our teacher brought in pure phosphorus stored in water. When he took some out and exposed it to air, it self-ignited- scary stuff..

Mike
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,811 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I remember in chemistry our teacher brought in pure phosphorus stored in water. When he took some out and exposed it to air, it self-ignited- scary stuff..

Mike

I remember that as well.

I also remember when he told us you can extract pure hydrogen by cutting up aluminum ("aluminium" to lesser breeds without the law) and adding it to a solution of lye.

It worked really well, although it took about three months for my eyebrows, eye lashes and the hair on the back of my hands to grow back after the explosion and mini fireball.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.