Good news for our side.

2»

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,029 Senior Member
    Not in fear of his life and retrieved a weapon to chase them down.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I also believe he shot two thief's.

I want so want to snuggle up to this sentence, show it some love, maybe get some booby salad off it.
    Steven wrote: »
    He was her husband, and she had not lived in the home for two months. If anything, she was the intruder.

Next?

I don't give a **** anymore. She is going home, I win.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,969 Senior Member
    While she is free, she'll be a convicted felon, no? I mean she's out of prison, but the loss of rights that goes with a felony will stay with her....
  • She served three years and pled guilty. #youpeople.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,991 Senior Member
    Of course you would.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    While she is free, she'll be a convicted felon, no? I mean she's out of prison, but the loss of rights that goes with a felony will stay with her....

Still better than 20 years. I suppose she could have taken a chance with another jury with evidence that he abused her, but I guess she decided not to press her luck.

I cannot see how people can say that a woman that has been the victim of domestic abuse cannot use a weapon to scare off her attacker and yet defend the pieces of excrement that have shot people and gotten support from this crowd in the past. I acknowledge there are differences, but there are far more similarities. The only reason why some would focus on the differences and reject the similarities is because they need to. To do otherwise would be to acknowledge there are institutional biases within the system.
    She served three years and pled guilty. #youpeople.

That's not how any of this works.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,969 Senior Member
    Still better than 20 years. I suppose she could have taken a chance with another jury with evidence that he abused her, but I guess she decided not to press her luck.
    I agree it's better than what she could have had, I just don't think it's a total victory, but sometimes you take what you can get. I won't comment on the second part of the post as I am not a mind reader...
  • Still better than 20 years. I suppose she could have taken a chance with another jury with evidence that he abused her, but I guess she decided not to press her luck.

Probably wise, since they convicted her in 12 minutes.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,480 Senior Member
    Why does not the castle doctrine apply.

Because leaving and coming back with a gun with the intention to shoot someone isn't self defense.
  • That's not how any of this works.

According to the Florida Times Union:
    Marissa Alexander timeline

September: Files an injunction for protection against boyfriend Rico Gray following his domestic battery arrest.

May: Marries Gray.

July: Gives birth to a child with Gray, Rihanna. The baby is born premature and is in the hospital for weeks.

August: Charged with three counts of domestic aggravated assault after shooting in the direction of her husband and two stepchildren during an argument.

December: Charged with domestic battery for beating her husband in the face, also for violating judge’s order to stay away from him while out on bond.

July: Judge Elizabeth Senterfitt denies Alexander immunity in a Stand Your Ground hearing.

State Attorney Angela Corey offers to waive firearm minimum mandatory sentence of 20 years and allow her to make a plea deal for three years. Alexander decides to go to trial.

March: Jurors find her guilty as charged in the shooting, to be sentenced later. She also pleads no contest in second domestic battery case and is sentenced to a year time served.

May: Judge James Daniel sentences her to mandatory 20 years under state’s 10-20-Life statutes.

July: Martin Luther King III, U.S. Rep. Corrine Brown, NAACP and civil rights advocates march against mandatory sentencing laws in support of Alexander.

July: Rev. Jesse Jackson meets Alexander.

September: 1st District Court of Appeal orders new trial, stating judge didn’t properly instruct jury on self-defense.

November: On the day before Thanksgiving, Judge Daniel grants her $200,000 bail with several restrictions, including having to wear an ankle monitor and being on home detention. She posted bond that night.

January: Prosecutors request bond be revoked for violating home detention by leaving the house at least nine times including to go shopping, driving family members around and seeing sister-in-law. Judge denies this, but lashes out at Sheriff’s Office home-detention supervisor for granting each trip.

July: Daniel denies Alexander’s request for a new Stand Your Ground hearing because she already had one that the appeals court said was handled correctly and was rejected.

November: Daniel rules that an ex-wife and two former girlfriends of Gray can testify on behalf of Alexander. All three women will testify that Gray abused them during the time each was in a relationship with him.
    Meanwhile, some time during this, the Florida legislature passes a Warning Shot Bill that is retroactive.
  • sherb wrote: »
    Probably wise, since they convicted her in 12 minutes.

It would have been quicker, but she was an honor student.
    According to the Florida Times Union:
    Marissa Alexander timeline

September: Files an injunction for protection against boyfriend Rico Gray following his domestic battery arrest.

May: Marries Gray.

July: Gives birth to a child with Gray, Rihanna. The baby is born premature and is in the hospital for weeks.

August: Charged with three counts of domestic aggravated assault after shooting in the direction of her husband and two stepchildren during an argument.

December: Charged with domestic battery for beating her husband in the face, also for violating judge’s order to stay away from him while out on bond.

July: Judge Elizabeth Senterfitt denies Alexander immunity in a Stand Your Ground hearing.

State Attorney Angela Corey offers to waive firearm minimum mandatory sentence of 20 years and allow her to make a plea deal for three years. Alexander decides to go to trial.

March: Jurors find her guilty as charged in the shooting, to be sentenced later. She also pleads no contest in second domestic battery case and is sentenced to a year time served.

May: Judge James Daniel sentences her to mandatory 20 years under state’s 10-20-Life statutes.

July: Martin Luther King III, U.S. Rep. Corrine Brown, NAACP and civil rights advocates march against mandatory sentencing laws in support of Alexander.

July: Rev. Jesse Jackson meets Alexander.

September: 1st District Court of Appeal orders new trial, stating judge didn’t properly instruct jury on self-defense.

November: On the day before Thanksgiving, Judge Daniel grants her $200,000 bail with several restrictions, including having to wear an ankle monitor and being on home detention. She posted bond that night.

January: Prosecutors request bond be revoked for violating home detention by leaving the house at least nine times including to go shopping, driving family members around and seeing sister-in-law. Judge denies this, but lashes out at Sheriff’s Office home-detention supervisor for granting each trip.

July: Daniel denies Alexander’s request for a new Stand Your Ground hearing because she already had one that the appeals court said was handled correctly and was rejected.

November: Daniel rules that an ex-wife and two former girlfriends of Gray can testify on behalf of Alexander. All three women will testify that Gray abused them during the time each was in a relationship with him.
    Meanwhile, some time during this, the Florida legislature passes a Warning Shot Bill that is retroactive.

Did that really fly that far over your head?
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Because leaving and coming back with a gun with the intention to shoot someone isn't self defense.

But going to the shed and getting a gun to confront a guy in your neighbor's yard is?
  • Did that really fly that far over your head?

I guess.
    [/scratches head]
  • But going to the shed and getting a gun to confront a guy in your neighbor's yard is?

He probably did the world a favor.
    Anyway, the guys were found in Horn's yard.
    I guess.
    [/scratches head]

I highlighted the hashtag and everything. How much more do I need to do?
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,999 Senior Member
    Now I protest: that TV ad was recently criticized by AARP and other senior groups as promoting a biased image of the aged. And you put it on the web. Snort.
  • Actually, I thought it was kind of anti-Semitic.
    That woman could just as easily be Italian.
    My mom still does not know how to read a text or know how to operate her TV remote.
  • That woman could just as easily be Italian.

No way. And her name is Beatrice.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Beatrice, she's an English Princess.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.