Listen, gang

seppalaseppala Senior MemberPosts: 1,916 Senior Member
When your moody teenage-pseudo daughter shows you her new shirt, do not respond with a pause, then a "Whoa...", no matter how silly it is.

She's happy with it, and that's all that matters. You should be more sensitive.

Replies

• Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    likewise, when your wife is all excited about the $10 cell phone case she got from Amazon, don't mention the 2 hours she spent deliberating over which one to buy and say things like "I didn't realize a cell phone case was such a big deal"

just be thankful that she can get as excited over $10 phone cases as she does over $1,000 jewelry. And count your blessings.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,913 Senior Member
    These are the kind of life lessons that make this place viable.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Also, don't assume that hooker is dead. Make sure.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    You miss 100% of the shots at deer that you don't take. This is more motivational talk than life lessons but it's apropos.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,985 Senior Member
    Does this dress make me look fat?

Don't say: "no, it's your fat that makes you look fat!".
    Also, when she says, "you would look good in a beret" just hand in your free will, wave goodbye to your former independent self and do not under any circumstance tell the lodge jerks about this conversation.
  • Hextall wrote: »
    Also, when she says, "you would look good in a beret" just hand in your free will, wave goodbye to your former independent self and do not under any circumstance tell the lodge jerks about this conversation.

Sage advice, my friend.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    apropos.

Check out the big brain on Brad!
  • Buffy's a college guy now.

Don't laugh when your wife tells you she bought something you don't need, but saved you money because it's on sale.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,454 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Buffy's a college guy now.

Don't laugh when your wife tells you she bought something you don't need, but saved you money because it's on sale.

Better yet...don't follow it up by telling her "You didn't save anything, you just spent $XXX.XX"

I did that once.
    It's like you guys have bugged my house.
  • It's apparently genetic. My mother used to do this.
    My father would stick out his finger to make a point, begin to open his mouth...then shake his head and walk off.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,656 Senior Member
    It's apparently genetic. My mother used to do this.
    My father would stick out his finger to make a point, begin to open his mouth...then shake his head and walk off.

Your father was smart and learned from his mistakes. I know, because that's what I do - start to say something, think about it for 2 seconds, them just walk away.
    The internet version is to start to post something and then when you finish your point, you do not hit send.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    The internet version is to start to post something and then when you finish your point, you do not hit send.

I do somethign similar, but I wait until after a moderator messages me that Buford has complained again.
    You know as fly fishermen I find it interesting that you would even think of criticizing your wives on their spending habits. I would think in comparison they would be the savers.
  • Outside of some waders and boots a couple of years ago, I haven't bought new equipment in quite a long time. My camping gear is about 10 years old.
    My guess is I spend probably about $1200 a year on fishing. Somewhere between $100 - $200 on tying and most of the rest is gas and food (and I was going to eat anyway, right?).

Most of my tying expense is covered by gift cards I've received - usually from my wife.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Outside of some waders and boots a couple of years ago, I haven't bought new equipment in quite a long time. My camping gear is about 10 years old.
    My guess is I spend probably about $1200 a year on fishing. Somewhere between $100 - $200 on tying and most of the rest is gas and food (and I was going to eat anyway, right?).

Most of my tying expense is covered by gift cards I've received - usually from my wife.

The flyfishing industry hates people like you..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,407 Senior Member
    Another piece of advise. Don't ever ask your wife if she likes her haircut. I learned this the hard way.
    Outside of some waders and boots a couple of years ago, I haven't bought new equipment in quite a long time. My camping gear is about 10 years old.

Don't your rods get lonely and cry out for new friends? I just got new wading boots with a gift card from my sister. Now if we would only get some rain.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,985 Senior Member
    Buy unnecessary stuff? Every time I walk into a fly shop, I buy flies I probably will never use, imitating insects that live in waters I will never fish. Of course, its a conversation starter with the staff. i have to have them with me, of course. So my fly box is the kind with 4 panels of foam, each panel covered with them. There must be two hundred of the buggers. The crazy hopper patterns are the worst, cause they take up so much space. The guy at Pleasure Park told me I was buying "junk hopper patterns". I have a phobia against being caught on the stream by a hatch without the right fly. So what do i use? The foam caddis, para adams, BWO, pmd, stimis, maybe half a dozen others, trailing a copper J. But boy, I am prepared for any crazy hatch of weird insects.
  • Don't your rods get lonely and cry out for new friends? I just got new wading boots with a gift card from my sister. Now if we would only get some rain.

Right now, they're crying out for the new Orvis Clearwater spey rod outfit. I actually think I have enough energy credits (ie. gift cards) lying around to get it. But what the heck would I do with it?
    I would see guys using them on the Salmon River in NY and think, "Guys this river is about 20' wide." I suppose you could visit some of the Idaho boys during steelhead season.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    Another piece of advise. Don't ever ask your wife if she likes her haircut. I learned this the hard way.

This is beautiful. My wife would punch me in the face.
    creekguy wrote: »
    Buy unnecessary stuff? Every time I walk into a fly shop, I buy flies I probably will never use, imitating insects that live in waters I will never fish. Of course, its a conversation starter with the staff. i have to have them with me, of course.

Yeah I usually buy stuff like that because I went in for advise and I don't want to be rude.

The other day I went into a shop to try on boots I was buying on-line. So I bought socks and a magazine. They were Simms socks so it was worth the guys time.
    Around here, you can have a perfectly good day fishing stimis all day long.
  • ricinus wrote: »
    The flyfishing industry hates people like you..

Mike

So for Chanukah, my wife buys me a wading jacket (I don't need and probably won't wear unless I'm fishing in the snow), some tying tools (I don't need) and a couple of Whiting half necks (can always use necks). I was freaking ticked at the money spent for the tools and jacket but discretion is the better part of valor.
    It would be tough explaining to the guy in the emergency room how you ended up with scissors in your neck.
  • I would see guys using them on the Salmon River in NY and think, "Guys this river is about 20' wide." I suppose you could visit some of the Idaho boys during steelhead season.

A couple of steelhead/salmon streams around Milwaukee are big enough, but there's no need and the streams are so crowded anyway it's not like I could swing 60' of line without getting knifed or stabbed. I have thought about using one on a large smallmouth stream about 90 minutes south of Chicago, but I'd rather be fishing for trout.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    So for Chanukah, my wife buys me a wading jacket (I don't need and probably won't wear unless I'm fishing in the snow), some tying tools (I don't need) and a couple of Whiting half necks (can always use necks). I was freaking ticked at the money spent for the tools and jacket but discretion is the better part of valor.

I got some gear for bass fishing for Christmas, the closest bass is 1000 miles..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.