Home The Lodge

Interesting

seppalaseppala Senior MemberPosts: 1,916 Senior Member
It's been about seven years since I tied my last fly.

I'd forgotten just how crummy I am.

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I think it's been about 4 years for me. And yes, you are crummy.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member
    yeah I never found it enjoyable.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,023 Senior Member
    I will send you my orvis coupon. That has kept me from ever trying to tie my own
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    I think it's been about 4 years for me. And yes, you are crummy.

Do you even flyfish?
    yeah I never found it enjoyable.

I do enjoy it. Teaches me to slow down.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,287 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    I will send you my orvis coupon. That has kept me from ever trying to tie my own

You might like this.

www.theflystop.com

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    seppala wrote: »
    Do you even flyfish?
    I have no idea what you are even asking.
    It's like mountain biking, but with a different kind of yuppie **** with too much disposable income.
    Hmmm... That does sounds interesting. Anyway I can use all these carbon arrows in this endeavor?
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    If you guys are going to talk fishing, the Lodge is not the place.. I think this thread should be locked..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    I would like to try tying again. I have a lot of patience and enjoy things others sometimes find monotonous. I build scale model airplanes (yes, it is nerdy*) as a hobby and that requires a lot of attention to detail. Plus, I need some Puterbaugh caddis since Umpqua no longer carries them.

*Not Hex nerdy, though.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    Hmmm... That does sounds interesting. Anyway I can use all these carbon arrows in this endeavor?

Well we know they aren't going to be used on deer.
    sherb wrote: »
    Well we know they aren't going to be used on deer.

Credit where it's due. This was a nice burn.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I would like to try tying again. I have a lot of patience and enjoy things others sometimes find monotonous. I build scale model airplanes (yes, it is nerdy*) as a hobby and that requires a lot of attention to detail.
    *Not Hex nerdy, though.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk

I used to build large-scale (1/16-1/12) cars, but it was more like half-build because I'd get frustrated trying to do something beyond my powers of modification, slam the poor, damned thing back in the box, and start something else. That's one of the nice things about flytying, a fly takes a few minutes, and if you don't like the results, an X-acto knife will solve the problem in seconds. I tied close to 130 dozen over last winter and spring.

Jim
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    seppala wrote: »
    Credit where it's due. This was a nice burn.

I have my moments.

Listen, sometimes the easiest thing is the most effective. Here's a deadly nymph anywhere: tungsten bead, florescent orange thread, pheasant tail, copper wire. Easy to tie. . .and deadly. Still my go-to fly.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    Insert nymphing joke here..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    I have my moments.

Listen, sometimes the easiest thing is the most effective. Here's a deadly nymph anywhere: tungsten bead, florescent orange thread, pheasant tail, copper wire. Easy to tie. . .and deadly. Still my go-to fly.

Your ideas intrigue me. Please sign me up for newsletter.

Also, send a pic of this fly.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,693 Senior Member
    I have my moments.

There are two streams I fish where florescent orange on a fly increases takes. At times the deadliest fly is a fl. orange "Green" Weenie or San Juan worm.

Incorporating fl orange or green into a shad fly also increases the number of takes
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member
    Maybe that is why the partridge and orange is such an effective fly.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,374 Senior Member
    Fishing egg patterns, or egg-colored patterns, and wet yet.......humpf! (Looks down his nose)
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 9,006 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I build scale model airplanes (yes, it is nerdy*) as a hobby and that requires a lot of attention to detail.
    Plastic or Balsa wood? I've got four or five balsa models I've neglected. Wondering if you need a drivers license these days to purchase the dope for tissue covering.

Model plane glue and dope. Could explain some of my mental issues. :)
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement