Gang, where I'm from...

HextallHextall Senior MemberPosts: 9,520 Senior Member
nobody talks like this. Which is a bummer.

"One bizarre side effect of turning in one of the best postseason pitching runs in MLB history is that the New York Times will send a reporter out to North Carolina to interview your dad saying just the dad-est possible things. So meet Kevin Bumgarner, proud father of the reigning World Series MVP, whose opinion on his son's bonkers innings count is the only one you'll ever need:

"I didn't know if he had enough left tonight," Kevin said. "But I did know that boy would try to steal a steak off the devil's plate.""

http://deadspin.com/madison-bumgarners-dad-is-the-best-sports-dad-1652770962

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,041 Senior Member
    Nice.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    If I ever won the World Series and someone interviewed my dad, the quote would be more like, "While he's off f***ing around playing kids games, I'm busting my ****, planting trees and ripping out fence. Does he give a ****, though? No."

It would be awesome.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    seppala wrote: »
    If I ever won the World Series and someone interviewed my dad, the quote would be more like, "While he's off f***ing around playing kids games, I'm busting my ****, planting trees and ripping out fence. Does he give a ****, though? No."

My dad would have said the same thing, but with his upstate NY accent it would have sounded exactly like "he's adopted."
    Hextall wrote: »
    My dad would have said the same thing, but with his upstate NY accent it would have sounded exactly like "he's adopted."

I have a very difficult time believing that these two statements would be confused for one another, no matter the accent.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,171 Senior Member
    I like your dad.

Now get to work [says the guy taking a personal day]
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    You know, the more I think about it, the more I think your dad makes a good point.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Think how he'd feel about p*ssing around on the computer..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Hextall wrote: »

"But I did know that boy would try to steal a steak off the devil's plate.""

I wish Monkey were here. Because he spoke Southerner, he could tell me what this means.
    ricinus wrote: »
    Think how he'd feel about p*ssing around on the computer..

Mike

He would not be for it. Not at all.

He has my mom look up and print out everything he needs. Doesn't even know how to turn one on.
    seppala wrote: »
    He has my mom look up and print out everything he needs. Doesn't even know how to turn one on.

It's a wonder you were even born!

Oh wait... you were talking about booting up a computer. My bad. I probably shouldn't hit the Post Quick Reply button.
    I find it incredible - as in not credible - that you thought I was referring to my dad's prowess with women rather than his proficiency with a computer. I think, instead, that you just wanted to make a crude joke.

For shame, y'all.
    My only response is "I'm adopted." Which in the parlance of my local dialect can mean virtually anything.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.