I would go one step further than voter ID laws

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,991 Senior Member
    Guns you just have to love them.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,480 Senior Member
    When you purchase the gun from a private party you still do not have to demonstrate that you can legally own one. As far as the ACA goes, not a right. Voting is a right and I have to register to do so. So tell me why should you be able to buy a gun from a private party without ID and why should you not be forced to register that gun?

But we aren't talking about guns or rights.
    We are talking about how an ID requirement allegedly suppresses low income voters (liberal logic) but somehow it doesn't suppress low income people enrolling for Medicaid/ACA. Same-same no?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,030 Senior Member
    I don't know how these people are getting medicare and I don't care. Maybe it does. Not everyone who is eligible is on it. Medicare is not a right. But everyone that is eligible should be able to vote.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,422 Senior Member
    But everyone that is eligible should be able to vote.

How did you prove you were able to register to vote? It has been several years here in CO when I registered, but I seem to recall having to show ID to do so. Is it such a burden to have to show it again?
  • Is it such a burden to show a copy of your tax return? I don't think it is.
    Most everyone has to have some type of ID. You need it to survive in today's society unless you are here illegally.
    jbilly wrote: »
    How did you prove you were able to register to vote? It has been several years here in CA when I registered, but I seem to recall having to show ID to do so. Is it such a burden to have to show it again?

Because maybe I lost it or it expired. That is the point you are already registered. There are already checks in place. I have to sign in and that signature has to match the one on the form.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    sherb wrote: »
    Is it such a burden to show a copy of your tax return? I don't think it is.

Yes it is, because that information is nobody's **** business.
    Buford wrote: »
    Most everyone has to have some type of ID. You need it to survive in today's society unless you are here illegally.

You do not need govt ID. When I had my license taken away for speeding, I used a check cashing ID.
    Who are all these people that don't have IDs? How many people are we talking about here? If they can't replace their ID for whatever reason (cant afford it, can't get to DMV or where ever, insert favorite BS reason) then what makes anyone think they will got to the effort of voting.

If voting is so **** important to these people I am pretty sure they could make the effort to get an ID.
    Because they do not have to drive 10 or 20 miles to vote? This is Texas there isn't a DMV on every corner.

Again since you already verify that they are who they say they are with a matching signature and a DL does not prove you are a citizen, why do they need one to vote?
    If voting is so **** important to these people I am pretty sure they could make the effort to get an ID.

You forgot about the guy who made an effort twice and was turned away twice.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,480 Senior Member
    I don't know how these people are getting medicare and I don't care. Maybe it does. Not everyone who is eligible is on it. Medicare is not a right. But everyone that is eligible should be able to vote.

So is requiring an ID to enroll in Medicaid/ACA suppressing low income people like it would allegedly do for low income voters?

Shouldn't everyone that is eligible for Medicaid/ACA be able to get the funding/subsidies they need without being suppressed by an ID requirement?

Dude...this needs to be discussed. I think we have a problem. November 15th is almost here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/26/us/id-verification-lagging-on-health-care-website.html?_r=1&
    joekrz wrote: »
    So is requiring an ID to enroll in Medicaid/ACA suppressing low income people like it would allegedly do for low income voters?

Shouldn't everyone that is eligible for Medicaid/ACA be able to get the funding/subsidies they need without being suppressed by an ID requirement?

Dude...this needs to be discussed. I think we have a problem. November 15th is almost here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/26/us/id-verification-lagging-on-health-care-website.html?_r=1&

Stop trying to compare oranges with oranges.

This is different, we are talking about voting not healthcare. In talking about voting we want to talk about private gun sales not needing IDs....but don't you dare mention that a sale at a gun shop requires ID because now you are just trying to avoid the issue. This is about voting...and private gun sales...not having to show ID for everything else. :p
    wrote:
    The exact government programs that are designed to help the poor require photo IDs. Of course this makes sense because the administrators of these programs want to eliminate fraud.

http://www.redstate.com/diary/badkarma6/2011/12/28/the-photo-id-myth/
  • jbilly wrote: »
    Stop trying to compare oranges with oranges.

This is different, we are talking about voting not healthcare. In talking about voting we want to talk about private gun sales not needing IDs....but don't you dare mention that a sale at a gun shop requires ID because now you are just trying to avoid the issue. This is about voting...and private gun sales...not having to show ID for everything else. :p

We talking practice?
    joekrz wrote: »

God are you dense or what? Yes requiring ID probably does suppress enrollment in the ACA. But who cares? I already said this once. It is not a right voting is. It is a right that people fought and died for, just so people like you could spit on their graves.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    ..just so people like you could spit on their graves.

Jesus, Chris. That's a bit much, eh? Seriously, man...
    God are you dense or what? Yes requiring ID probably does suppress enrollment in the ACA. But who cares? I already said this once. It is not a right voting is. It is a right that people fought and died for, just so people like you could spit on their graves.

Nice, why?
  • Shawn C. wrote: »

He gets fired up.

This is the second greatest troll of all time, after cappyduane dying.
    It really is, Sherb. Masterful work.
    Shawn C. wrote: »

No its not. I am sick of this **** with people treating voting like it is a privilege. There are people who have been voting in the same precinct for 60 years that are being turned away. People who watched their parents and grand parents lynched just for registering just so some politician can take that right away and Joekrz, Jbilly and Steven think that is just dandy
    Yes actually I have said more than once that the real threat of voter fraud came from voting machines and that there should be paper printouts for all votes made on those machines.

You seem to care more about what party is effected than in defending people's rights.
    You seem to care more about what party is effected than in defending people's rights.

Yeah tell yourself that. I care about people who are legally entitled to vote and can prove it being to allowed to vote and that their vote is cast for whom they chose.

Find me a similar article wher some dem votes and it pops up republican and I'd be just as pissed.
    Yeah that is why someone should be denied their right because their license expired. Because nothing denotes fraud like not being able to get to the DMV. You have to register and then when you arrive a the polling place you have to verify you are who you say you are by matching the signature on the voter rolls. Admit it you just don't want poor people voting because they might vote Democratic. At least Sherb is honest about his intentions.
    Find me a similar article wher some dem votes and it pops up republican and I'd be just as pissed.

Spare me you looked for that article because you were thinking it made the Dems look bad.
    Man, if you guys can just get those machines to throw out votes from black people, then we can do away with all of this ID silliness. ;)

Chris, I am with you on this subject 100%. I just took umbrage with the personal attack.

I also cannot believe that the cons here (le Sherb excepted) cannot bring themselves to say what the core of the issue is. I don't think it is intellectual dishonesty, it is some something deeper. Denial, perhaps? At any rate, the lack of comprehension is almost as disturbing as the concept itself.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.