I would go one step further than voter ID laws

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,165 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Its who is in the best position to evaluate what the issues are and vote accordingly. And that's people who have an actual stake in their community. The property requirement gets rid of all the low-information millenials and all those idiots who write for Slate magazine. . .which is a nice ancillary benefit.
    Funny stuff right there. You assume that people without property are both low-information, millennial and have no stake while somebody with property is older than Gen X, pays attention to what is going on and is the only group affected by political decisions.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • FishTX wrote: »
    Trick question.
    Half false and half true. A.K.A. The Executive Mansion until 1902.

I get at least 50% credit, teacher. You didn't specify the period of time.

You would have passed the test and could have voted for McKinley or Bryan in 1900. But no voting today, smart ****.
  • I am all for testing because I believe that 90% of Republicans would fail such a test. And certainly no teabilly would.

Good thing I didn't propose a readin' 'n writin' test.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    Brothers from another mother. Get him here.

Hex - if you support us, we'll call you by your favorite Transformer character's name whenever you're wearing your cute little outfit.
    Steven wrote: »
    You would have passed the test and could have voted for McKinley or Bryan in 1900. But no voting today, smart ****.
    But I have a driver's license and pay property taxes. [kicks dirt]
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Is there an exception for Brodie? Because he owns this street corner.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Brodie also is curious about sherb and sep's political platform.

tumblr_lrglqhMDwx1qbvaudo1_250.gif
    ****. Now I'm torn. I love Brodie, and I don't want Stringer to find out.

Sherb! Advise.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,983 Senior Member
    We need some more creative restrictions on voting than you guys have put forth. Here are some alternative choices:

1. Only those older than 55 can vote. Makes perfect sense. And us geezers have paid a lot of taxes.

2. In alternating elections, first,only those with last names A to L can vote. 4 years later, only those with last names M-Z get to decide who runs the country.

3. More practically, only those with last names of less than 8 letters get to vote. A cleaver way to disenfranchise "those people".

4. Dry fly fishers only get to vote. But only if they tie also.

5. Short people (5 ft 5 inches tall or less) only get to vote. Tall people have really screwed this world up. Time for a change.

6. No fatties (just sayin)
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,913 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Good thing I didn't propose a readin' 'n writin' test.

That test will be for the grammar ****.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Sherb got me thinking. We should also probably only allow property owners fight in our military. They are the only ones who have something to protect.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Sherb got me thinking. We should also probably only allow property owners fight in our military. They are the only ones who have something to protect.

out - &$#@ing - standing!
  • Sherb got me thinking. We should also probably only allow property owners fight in our military. They are the only ones who have something to protect.

Traditionally that's the way it was. I don't have a problem with that, actually.
    Good let's see if you can get Ted Cruz to sign onto a bill.
    Traditionally that's the way it was. I don't have a problem with that, actually.

Wait a minute. Whose tradition? Not ours.
  • democracy is a derivative of the greek word "demos" which does NOT mean rule by the people, but rather rule by the "citizen body." In every voting body that ever was, the franchise has always been restricted to certain people. The common denominator of citizenship in antiquity was military service, a fact that the founders were well aware of.

So I don't think the idea is as far-fetched as maybe you think it is.

But maybe instead of incredulous indignation, you might ask yourself why you think its self-evidently wrong to restrict rather than expand the franchise. To me, expanding voting to everyone is not a self-evident good. And leave the racial **** out of it. its a distraction. The "founders" didn't say a word about who was allowed to vote. That was left to the states. Four states allowed non-whites to vote. One of them even allowed women to vote. But ALL of the original states had the property requirement. Why do you suppose that was?
    democracy is a derivative of the greek word "demos" which does NOT mean rule by the people, but rather rule by the "citizen body." In every voting body that ever was, the franchise has always been restricted to certain people. The common denominator of citizenship in antiquity was military service, a fact that the founders were well aware of.

But maybe instead of incredulous indignation, you might ask yourself why you think its self-evidently wrong to restrict rather than expand the franchise. To me, expanding voting to everyone is not a self-evident good. And leave the racial **** out of it. its a distraction. The "founders" didn't say a word about who was allowed to vote. That was left to the states. Four states allowed non-whites to vote. One of them even allowed women to vote. But ALL of the original states had the property requirement. Why do you suppose that was?

This argument is a bit unsettling.

I could argue that slavery was common practice in just about every culture for quite a while. Why now is it self-evidently wrong?

Marrying children was common practice in just about every culture. Why now is it self-evidently wrong?
    democracy is a derivative of the greek word "demos" which does NOT mean rule by the people, but rather rule by the "citizen body." In every voting body that ever was, the franchise has always been restricted to certain people. The common denominator of citizenship in antiquity was military service, a fact that the founders were well aware of.

What I find offensive is that you believe only a privileged few have a stake in this country. Especially given that the privileged few so rarely in our nation's history are the ones doing the fighting and dying for her. Do not the poor have a stake in public schools their children attend? Do the rivers air and sky not belong to them? Or do only the wealthy put the sweat of their brows and their backs into the building of this nation? Don't give me this crap that only propertied people are intelligent enough to vote. Because quite frankly some of them are ****ing morons and sociopaths that would burn down a school full children if it would put an extra dollar in their pockets.
    seppala wrote: »
    Marrying children was common practice in just about every culture. Why now is it self-evidently wrong?
    Jerry Lee Lewis 'nough said.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    ****, a well-presented nymph really does catch more fish!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,989 Senior Member
    Poor people do not have a stake in their community? Where are you getting this happy horseshit?
    Folks that have nothing will vote for the guys giving away the farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

There are a lot of them.
    See Buford you are the perfect example of why owning property does not make you any more knowledgeable. I mean you were the one telling us that Barack Hussein Obama was born in Kenya and attended a madrassa.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,454 Senior Member
    What I find offensive is that you believe only a privileged few have a stake in this country.

The way things are nowadays the privileged few (rich campaign donors) are the only ones who have a stake in this country. We live under the umbrella of the super wealthy citizens who spend millions to buy politicians, to lobby, to write legislation etc. If you haven't bought your politician lately, you're not one of the privileged few.
    And do you think limiting the vote to the 1% will improve that?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,454 Senior Member
    I'm not saying that we limit it to the 1% , I'm saying that it is already happening that way right now. It's the reality of the situation.
    See Buford you are the perfect example of why owning property does not make you any more knowledgeable. I mean you were the one telling us that Barack Hussein Obama was born in Kenya and attended a madrassa.

I'm a might bit smarter than you think. You also have me confused with someone else, I am not a birther I believe that's what you call it.
    Buford I was here when you started the threads and I doubt it.
    Buford I was here when you started the threads and I doubt it.

I'm going to have to disagree Chris. Never bought into the birther argument. If it was true it would have been over in no time yet you have folks that are still arguing about it 6 years later. I wonder what Ed's take is on this?
    Then you will have to lie. The thread was titled Barack Hussein Obama and it was an article talking about he was raised a Muslim and attended a madrassa. The same article said he was clearly born in Africa.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.