I would go one step further than voter ID laws

I would require voters to own real property and show proof of taxable income.

discuss.

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Not so sure about the real property- lots of Renters around who have no desire to own property or are temporarily working in an area.. In addition to taxable income proof, how about proof they have read newspaper or watched a news program to show they MIGHT understand the issues..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »

discuss.

Another solution in dire need of a problem.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,215 Senior Member

discuss.

The current Court would love it, but you stopped far short of the goal line.

Did not the Founders in their infinite wisdom restrict voting to white males owning a substantial amount of property? The Hon. Justices Thomas and Scalia would have wet dreams over that. Thomas would find a way to define himself as white according to the sacred "intent of the Founders".
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • I didn't say anything about race.

(But I knew somebody would. . . )
    What are the stats on how many people this would eliminate that are currently eligible to vote? Give me the numbers!
  • I'd propose a simple test.

What's the name of this big WHITE HOUSE in which the President lives?

We could make it multiple choice.

In Republican dogwhistle, this means white folk.

[gas on the fire]
  • Hextall wrote: »
    In Republican dogwhistle, this means white folk.

[gas on the fire]

Dang, Hex throwing shade . . . How about a true/false citizenship quiz instead?

1. The White House is called the White House. True or false?
    I didn't say anything about race.

(But I knew somebody would. . . )

You also left out women, but someone came along to help you. :) I was just paying my respects to The Founders and pointing out the difficulty of applying their intent some 230+ years later.

Real property? Y'mean no renters or family members whose names are not on the deed could vote? If they buy or are gifted one square inch of land does that qualify them? The taxable income bit would eliminate many poor people, but it also would affect some one percenters. No, wait, actually it would mostly affect a few one percenters, since almost all the po' folks could be eliminated as non-property owners.

BTW - If you have a mortgage are you a "property owner" or are you in a rent-to-buy arrangement with the bank?

I confess I assume that the first post is a tongue-in-cheek troll of sorts.

I've watched enough of those police checkpoint videos on youtube to know I don't have to answer any of your questions, Honky!
    Steven wrote: »
    I'd propose a simple test.

What's the name of this big WHITE HOUSE in which the President lives?

We could make it multiple choice.

Blatant steal of Groucho's "Who's buried in Grant's Tomb" on You Bet Your Life. A surprising number of contestants named other people. Although to say "Grant" technically is incorrect, it was the answer he was looking for. I do not think one contestant in a hundred gave the truly correct answer - "No one, although President and Mrs. Grant are entombed there".
  • I'm not old enough to steal anything from You Bet Your Life.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,041 Senior Member

discuss.

Why not make it only white men also? Do you believe that only people that only property deserve the rights of citizenship?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I am all for testing because I believe that 90% of Republicans would fail such a test. And certainly no teabilly would.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,973 Senior Member
    I am all for testing because I believe that 90% of Republicans would fail such a test. And certainly no teabilly would.
    You can't discriminate against the differentially educated.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,496 Senior Member

LOL.
    George K wrote: »
    I confess I assume that the first post is a tongue-in-cheek troll of sorts.

That is not a reason to not discuss it. :D
    I put some harlem voters up over Harlan county voters.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,496 Senior Member
    Yup. Low information/Uneducated voters on both side of the aisle.

I don't believe one side has a greater amount than the other.
    Steven wrote: »
    I'm not old enough to steal anything from You Bet Your Life.

Re-runs are available. It was a fun show in the days of live TV.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,424 Senior Member
    While we are at requiring tests to vote can we also require a test to procreate? It needs to be a bit more complex that stick Tab P into Slot V.
  • Why not make it only white men also? Do you believe that only people that only property deserve the rights of citizenship?

Why do you have to go straight to the race stuff? I didn't say anything about race.

Its not a question of "deserve." Its who is in the best position to evaluate what the issues are and vote accordingly. And that's people who have an actual stake in their community. The property requirement gets rid of all the low-information millenials and all those idiots who write for Slate magazine. . .which is a nice ancillary benefit.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    and all those idiots who write for Slate magazine. . .which is a nice ancillary benefit.

I was totally against your idea until this. Now I'm all for it.
    Why do you have to go straight to the race stuff? I didn't say anything about race.

Its not a question of "deserve." Its who is in the best position to evaluate what the issues are and vote accordingly. And that's people who have an actual stake in their community. The property requirement gets rid of all the low-information millenials and all those idiots who write for Slate magazine. . .which is a nice ancillary benefit.

How much property?

You did not answer my one square inch or mortgage questions, but still I wonder if you would set the requirement at about one square foot less than you yourself own. That's what I would do, while to balance that anyone with one square foot more than me would be banned as an earth-ravishing greedy plutocrat. Oh, and the votes of anyone lucky enough to own within plus or minus 0.025 sq. inches of what I do would have a thousand or so votes.
  • seppala wrote: »
    I was totally against your idea until this. Now I'm all for it.

Brothers from another mother. Get him here. <looking at Rury>

Two words Donald Trump. So the issues that poor people face, they are not important? Poor people do not have a stake in their community? Where are you getting this happy horseshit?

I mean if you want to go back to the 18th century model, let's go all the way. Get rid of those pesky negroes and shrill housewives also.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,171 Senior Member
    Dang, Hex throwing shade . . . How about a true/false citizenship quiz instead?

Trick question.
    Half false and half true. A.K.A. The Executive Mansion until 1902.

I get at least 50% credit, teacher. You didn't specify the period of time.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Would a pickup on blocks count as real property??

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.