It's Obama's fault of course

Replies

• dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Yeah, why not? Cheney invented fracking like Gore invented the internet.
    [This is meant to be ironic, Al]

Excellent!
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • Who reads Daily Kos?

Liberal Conspiracy Theorists.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,917 Senior Member
    Yeah, why not? Cheney invented fracking like Gore invented the internet.
    [This is meant to be ironic, Al]

Wait I thought Obama was the fracking president.

So are you saying that if we regulated fracking like we do say, drilling for oil, no one would be fracking? Well then I guess fracking is more of an environmental disaster than I had considered.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Liberal Conspiracy Theorists.

And conservative conspiracy theorists watch Fox and vote for people like Michelle Bachman and Louis Gohmert. I guess those liberal nuts are way outnumbered by the conservative ones.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,407 Senior Member
    Speaking of which there was a man from Texas who said that he was turned away twice while attempting to get an ID. Apparently they ran out. Really they ran out?

Was he black? Because if he wasn't black this is moot.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,985 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    Quite frankly, this fracking business is scary.

Not only does it pollute the waters where the fracking takes place, it hits close to home in WI where frac sand mines are popping up all over the driftless area threatening the trout streams near them.

Personally I wish someone would put forth legislation that would completely stop all fracking in this country.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Heck, you might as well get concerned about GMO foods, oil tankers going around, mercury in coal plant exhaust and in the fish you eat, hexavalent chromium in everything, PCBs, which are everywhere,overuse of antibiotics in livestock, etc. etc.
    It does seem like we get complacent about environmental dangers that have been around forever, and all worried about what is new.

Repubs are making deregulation of fracking rules in CO a deal in their ads, without saying what they would do. Meanwhile I keep hearing Obama is the Fracking president. Do Repubs not know how to spell that word? There must be an election coming.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,454 Senior Member
    Fracking in the right places and using proper measures is probably no more dangerous than drilling for oil or mining coal. I favor more stringent legislation and local community input.

There are no proper measures or right places when it comes to fracking. It's a bad deal from all angles no matter what and much, much worse than drilling for oil or mining coal.

I favor banning it all together.

Who reads Daily Kos?

You do.

• seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    Am I the only one who thinks this is the most confusing thread ever?
    jbilly wrote: »
    Was he black? Because if he wasn't black this is moot.

Saw a story about a white 92 year old vet who tried to vote but was refused because his drivers license had expired. He no longer drives so unless he pays for some other form of ID he can't vote.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • seppala wrote: »

Its an omnibus political thread. Clarity is appreciated, but not required.
    seppala wrote: »

A serious case of A.D.D. has taken over this thread of which I am a part of. I apologize. :D

To stay on topic...I wasn't aware of any of this nonsense since I have no clue what gas cost. It's one of those deals where its one of those things you need and worrying about what it costs isn't going to change the fact that you need it.

All I know about gas is that it costs me $75-$100 a week to fill my tank. I drive a full size truck.

• And conservative conspiracy theorists watch Fox and vote for people like Michelle Bachman and Louis Gohmert. I guess those liberal nuts are way outnumbered by the conservative ones.

What does this have to do with Silvercreek being more or less correct in his statement and you being more or less wrong in your retort?
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,407 Senior Member
    dryflie wrote: »
    Saw a story about a white 92 year old vet who tried to vote but was refused because his drivers license had expired. He no longer drives so unless he pays for some other form of ID he can't vote.

Ok, but he is a white vet that is 92 years old...he isn't voting for the democrats.
  • Be interesting to know what state the white vet is from and his means.
    Pretty sure the courts have ruled that somebody who can't afford an ID must be given it free.
    Be interesting to know what state the white vet is from and his means.
    Pretty sure the courts have ruled that somebody who can't afford an ID must be given it free.

The state was Texas.
    An elderly man, a veteran. Ninety-three years old,” Parsley, an election judge for the last 15 years, told ThinkProgress. “His license had expired.”

Under Texas’ new voter ID law, one of the strictest in the nation, citizens are required to present one of seven forms of photo identification to vote. The identification can be a Texas-issued driver’s license, a federally-issued veteran’s ID card, or a gun registration card, among other forms. Licenses can be expired, but not for more than 60 days.

The man Parsley said he had to turn away was a registered voter, but his license had been expired for a few years, likely because he had stopped driving. Parsley said the man had never gotten a veteran’s identification card. And though he had “all sorts” of other identification cards with his picture on it, they weren’t valid under the law — so the election judges told him he had to go to the Department of Public Safety, and renew his license.

I apologize...I do not know if the man is white, black, or another race.

It has also been reported that this is the only person turned away from voting by this particular election judge so far. That could be a good or bad thing depending on your orientation.

Found an additional story.
    Jesus Garcia was born in Texas and lives in Mercedes. He was unable to vote with his driver’s license, which expired about a year ago. He went to the Weslaco Department of Public Safety (DPS) office twice and both times was unable to get an ID. His birth certificate was stolen and he does not have a copy. He wants to get identification, but to get both a replacement birth certificate and a new ID would be more than $30 combined. He is working a lot of hours, but money is tight. With rent, water, electricity, and everything else, Mr. Garcia is not sure he will be able to afford those documents, much less before the election.

Even if he does have the money, he will need to go through the whole process of getting the documents and going to the office again, when he has already tried to vote once and gone to a DPS office twice. Mr. Garcia thinks it is unfair that he cannot vote with the documents he has. He was born here and he has an ID with his picture on it; it’s just expired. He has a voter registration card, and voted in past elections.

Now I know 20-30 bucks seems a small amount to many of us. But to some it's a significant amount and the hassle involved even more so. Many people will elect to simply say screw it and stay home.
  • As suspected, he does not have to pay for some other form of ID.

The veteran's ID card is free in Texas. He could also get a free Election Identification Certificate from the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    As suspected, he does not have to pay for some other form of ID.

The veteran's ID card is free in Texas. He could also get a free Election Identification Certificate from the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Or they could, you know, just let the guy vote. Quite the idea, huh?
    What does this have to do with Silvercreek being more or less correct in his statement and you being more or less wrong in your retort?

Nothing really. Other than the fact that I never heard of this so it wasn't quite as prevalent as Obama's birth certificate or BENGHAZI!!!!!
    Jesus Garcia was born in Texas and lives in Mercedes. He was unable to vote with his driver’s license, which expired about a year ago. He went to the Weslaco Department of Public Safety (DPS) office twice and both times was unable to get an ID. His birth certificate was stolen and he does not have a copy. He wants to get identification, but to get both a replacement birth certificate and a new ID would be more than $30 combined. He is working a lot of hours, but money is tight. With rent, water, electricity, and everything else, Mr. Garcia is not sure he will be able to afford those documents, much less before the election.

Why the **** would he need a birth certificate to renew his license? It isn't just the money, how many hours of his life is he supposed to dedicate to this?
    As suspected, he does not have to pay for some other form of ID.

How quickly do you think someone can get a veteran's ID. Do you think he can just say hey I'm a veteran give me an ID? As I already explained they for some reason keep running out of these ID's.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Or they could, you know, just let the guy vote. Quite the idea, huh?

Back off there, pinko.
    There are no proper measures or right places when it comes to fracking. It's a bad deal from all angles no matter what and much, much worse than drilling for oil or mining coal.

I favor banning it all together.

If that were true than there would be disastrous outcomes at 100% of the thousands of fracking sites. But there have not been.
    You do.

Not really. I think I posted an article here once just to tick you off.
    Come to think of it, how stupid is this? The guy had an ID that at one point was valid identification. Did he cease to be who he was on a certain date? Also since people do not expire and only that card does, how can anybody credibly argue this is not about suppressing votes?
  • How quickly do you think someone can get a veteran's ID. Do you think he can just say hey I'm a veteran give me an ID? As I already explained they for some reason keep running out of these ID's.

He could have probably gotten that veteran's ID within the three years that his drivers license was expired. He probably could have gotten a free Election Identification Certificate in as long as it takes to get a Driver's License.

And no, you didn't explain that for some reason they keep running out of the IDs. What you said was that you read about one guy who couldn't get his ID because supposedly they had run out.

I doubt the story is true, but even if it is, that's a nit. When tens of thousands of people couldn't get their passports renewed quickly because of backlogs that built due to the new requirement for trips to Canada and Mexico post 9/11, that was a problem. One guy who couldn't get an idea that day in a state as large as Texas because the forms ran out? That's not a problem.
    He could have probably gotten that veteran's ID within the three years that his drivers license was expired. He probably could have gotten a free Election Identification Certificate in as long as it takes to get a Driver's License.

And no, you didn't explain that for some reason they keep running out of the IDs. What you said was that you read about one guy who couldn't get his ID because supposedly they had run out.

I doubt the story is true, but even if it is, that's a nit. When tens of thousands of people couldn't get their passports renewed quickly because of backlogs that built due to the new requirement for trips to Canada and Mexico post 9/11, that was a problem. One guy who couldn't get an idea that day in a state as large as Texas because the forms ran out? That's not a problem.

Yeah because it was only one guy and they ran out twice. Tell me that passes the smell test.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    For the sake of accuracy, Americans do not require a passport to enter Canada. They have to have correct documentation that allows them to re-enter the USA ie: a passport.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    OMG do you see the irony of posting this?
    Prosecutions for vote fraud are rare. But prosecutions for perjury are rare, too -- and not because it "doesn't exist."
    After posting this.
    Earlier this year, the Virginia Voters Alliance found that more than 44,000 people were simultaneously registered to vote in Maryland and Virginia. Catherine Engelbrecht's True the Vote found some 6.9 million overlapping voter registrations in the 28 states they examined. For those unburdened by conscience who live close to the border, it's more than possible to vote early and often.

Okay a few things. One people move. Two this is not evidence that someone is committing voter fraud. Then finally voter ID would not prevent that sort of voter fraud. All one would need to do is keep their ID's from previous states and I do not believe that a veteran's ID tells you state that person lives in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.