Dangerously on topic

2»

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,265 Senior Member
    Yeah I used those patterns so I was aware of Theodore Gordon in fact a good friend of mine would attend Theodore Gordon Flyfishers meetings. They require a coat and tie. So I have a little bit of the history. You almost cannot fish the Catskills without being exposed to it. I just didn't understand what defined a fly as a Catskill fly.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Honestly? Both.

(or to be more accurate, I try to fish with them...then they float on their sides and I get pissed off).

So, don't fish them, just stick 'em on your hat and wear plaid. Now there's a good boy.

I guess the Western equivalent would be the dries that AK Best and friends fish and tie. I got over the Catskill thing when I saw Gary LaFontane tie up his stuff. Goofy, scraggly, messy, but those flies caught fish and were simple to tie the night before, or with a glass of scotch in hand. Goose biots don't last for sheite when the action is hot.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    I buy every kind of esoteric fly at the shop, then I get to the river, and its always the caddis, or the adams, or the PMD. or the BWO. Usually with the Copper J. dropper. Mr. conservative. I must have 100 flies I have never tried, but I keep them in the box, cause, ya never know!
  • Ok this has gone on long enough.

Pheasant tail+lead=fish.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,969 Senior Member
    Yes, Sherb. We've seen the video of your Tenkara Romanian flymphing technique.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,626 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Ok this has gone on long enough.

Pheasant tail+lead=fish.

So sad...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    It is sad. Sherb, we need a video of you spey casting for steelhead to counter the Transylvanian High-sticking video you posted a while back.
    I've been trying to simplify the patterns I use. I've come to the conclusion that fish really aren't that smart. If the presentation and drift are good, you are going to be rewarded as long as your fly is of the correct size and shape. I've eschewed many of the fancy attractor-type dries as well. When there is no hatch, I've caught the majority of my fish with stimulators, ant paterns and larger parachute dries.
    I don't nymph much, but I've also been using more hare's ears, pheasant tails and prince nymphs minus all of the Christmas tree decorating material. Given the over-complexity and flashiness of modern-day nymphs, how many fish actually see a simple (no bead head) hare's ear these days?
  • You naysayers mock all you want. The nymphs work.
  • I'll happily nymph but the idea of favoring nymphing over the dry fly is perplexing.
  • Shawn C. wrote: »
    I've been trying to simplify the patterns I use. I've come to the conclusion that fish really aren't that smart. If the presentation and drift are good, you are going to be rewarded as long as your fly is of the correct size and shape. I've eschewed many of the fancy attractor-type dries as well. When there is no hatch, I've caught the majority of my fish with stimulators, ant paterns and larger parachute dries.
    I don't nymph much, but I've also been using more hare's ears, pheasant tails and prince nymphs minus all of the Christmas tree decorating material. Given the over-complexity and flashiness of modern-day nymphs, how many fish actually see a simple (no bead head) hare's ear these days?

I'd happily fish a size 14 Quack all day everyday if I could get away with it.
    And if you're going to nymph, try a pink squirrel.
  • I just didn't understand what defined a fly as a Catskill fly.

Gotcha.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,626 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    And if you're going to nymph, try a pink squirrel.

Yes.

detail_104684_42831.jpg
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.