U.S. Attacks Syria

2»

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,286 Senior Member
    I think this whole thing goes back to TR in effect doesn't it?

To be honest I am disappointed that he did not get approval from congress. But does congress need his approval to draft legislation either authorizing or forbidding his actions? If not, isn't part of the problem congress' own fecklessness?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,899 Senior Member
    AHA. So what Bush did, and what Obama is now doing, isn't illegal. Is that right?
  • I think this whole thing goes back to TR in effect doesn't it?

To be honest I am disappointed that he did not get approval from congress. But does congress need his approval to draft legislation either authorizing or forbidding his actions? If not, isn't part of the problem congress' own fecklessness?

Congress absolutely is part of the problem. But its political rather than legal.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,872 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »

You never answered my question which was "can Obama bomb or start a war with Russia?". Are there no limits to a president's power to start wars?
  • EdB wrote: »
    You never answered my question which was "can Obama bomb or start a war with Russia?".

Yes he can.

But he won't, because he's constrained by politics. And if he suddenly lost his **** and started bombing Russia, Congress would pull the funding, which is something they CAN do. They could also impeach the president, which is a remedy they retain. Its not true, for example that Congress has to wait for the President to commit a statutory felony. They can impeach him for whatever "crime" they have the votes for. Bombing Russia would get them there.

I'm sorry Ed. I know you want to say that what the president is doing is "illegal," but the legality of article II powers has never been defined, is ambigous at best and nonexistent at worst, and simply does not constrain the executive in foreign affairs, not in a legal sense and certainly not in the world as it actually exists. The check on the president's power is public opinion and the ballot box.
    What Obama, Bush, Clinton, and others have done in the Middle East is internationally illegal.

I know that the U.S. only recognizes international law when it is to its own advantage, but torture, black prison sites, invasions and interventions, and bombings, without U.N. approval, are illegal.
    Buffco wrote: »
    AHA. So what Bush did, and what Obama is now doing, isn't illegal. Is that right?

Actually in fairness, Bush did get an authorization for military force.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    What Obama, Bush, Clinton, and others have done in the Middle East is internationally illegal.

There is no such thing.

To paraphrase Max Weber, there is no international entity that has a monopoly on the use of force, so there is no entity capable of enforcing international law. . . except the strongest country. Certainly a rogue state may face the opprobrium of other other states, but that gets us back to politics.
    There is no such thing.

To paraphrase Max Weber, there is no international entity that has a monopoly on the use of force, so there is no entity capable of enforcing international law. . . except the strongest country. Certainly a rogue state may face the opprobrium of other other states, but that gets us back to politics.

So there is no international law, only rogue states such as the United States.
  • So Ed: are you anti-war or just in favor of the other side?
    So Ed: are you anti-war or just in favor of the other side?

I am anti-war, not in favor of any side.

Are you pro-war or just in favor of the wars we start?
    That is contradicted by the fact that you appear to support Russian aggression in the Ukraine and seem to have no issue with ISIS committing genocide.
    That is contradicted by the fact that you appear to support Russian aggression in the Ukraine and seem to have no issue with ISIS committing genocide.

I don't support either Russian or United States aggression in the Ukraine.

I have an issue with either ISIS or the United States or anyone committing genocide.

And your stupidity is made evident by your above post.
  • What US aggression in the Ukraine? Did we bomb somewhere else without consulting Congress?
    Please answer my question in post#43.
    Please answer my question in post#43.

That's not a question. That's just you being an ****.
    EdB wrote: »
    I don't support either Russian or United States aggression in the Ukraine.

I have an issue with either ISIS or the United States or anyone committing genocide.

And your stupidity is made evident by your above post.

Then why do you defend them and insist that the US is simply making excuses for their aggression?
    That's not a question. That's just you being an ****.

And your question was not being an ****?
    And your question was not being an ****?

I will allow that I was not as civil as I usually am.

But back to the question: what US aggression in the Ukraine are you talking about? Or did you just make that up in order to posit some sort of false equivalence between us and the pinkos?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,899 Senior Member
    It was a hypothetical. So, if the US were to attack Ukraine, hypothetically, he would be against that.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Let's switch the Ukraine to Canada in this hypothetical. I think even Ed can get on board with turning that shitshow into glass.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.