Bank Hack

NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior MemberPosts: 9,626 Senior Member
Anyone else get their CC hacked lately? I just did this past week. Someone tried to do about $1000 of online shopping with my CC. Lucky for me all attempted charges were declined.

I am a Chase CC holder and they are one of the companies that were recently hacked.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Replies

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,868 Senior Member
    At least they caught it! I had this happen once a few years ago. My CC company called about some weird **** charge overseas. I don't recall exactly what it was but it was for paint or light fixtures or some weird crap in Europe. Sadly I have never been off the continental US so it wasn't an issue. They had some minor chrge well under $50 for these to fish to see if the card was active. Then the CC company got them because they tried some ridiculously large mutli-thousand dollar purchase. Card was obviously canceled right away and they did some enhanced monitoring of my new one.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    Anyone else get their CC hacked lately? I just did this past week. Someone tried to do about $1000 of online shopping with my CC. Lucky for me all attempted charges were declined.

I am Chase CC holder and they are one of the companies that were recently hacked.

A clear example of that there "White Privilege' stuff people are claiming does not happen. Consider yourself lucky.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,626 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    At least they caught it! I had this happen once a few years ago. My CC company called about some weird **** charge overseas. I don't recall exactly what it was but it was for paint or light fixtures or some weird crap in Europe. Sadly I have never been off the continental US so it wasn't an issue. They had some minor chrge well under $50 for these to fish to see if the card was active. Then the CC company got them because they tried some ridiculously large mutli-thousand dollar purchase. Card was obviously canceled right away and they did some enhanced monitoring of my new one.

The hacker on mine tried to buy some stuff at H&M, motherhood.com, bath and body and some jewelry store.

My card was also cancelled right away and a new one is on the way.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,868 Senior Member
    dryflie wrote: »
    A clear example of that there "White Privilege' stuff people are claiming does not happen. Consider yourself lucky.

Good point. Black people aren't allowed to have a credit card. Let alone one with fraud protection. :rolleyes:
    dryflie wrote: »

My card is blue.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,154 Senior Member
    The card we use jointly for household and travel expenses has been replaced twice in the last ten years because of attempted fraud that the issuer caught. But none of our other cards has had issues and we both carefully check monthly statements.

I should add that we both were widowed when we met and married, keep our money separate for personal expenses but have joint cc and bank accounts for shared expenses. It has worked out well for us because we both were self supporting, our children are self-supporting adults and we both have adequate retirement funds. In my first, youthful marriage we raised three children together and I often was the sole, and always the primary breadwinner. For three decades plus everything was jointly held.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,891 Senior Member
    They got into my daughters account twice in a month.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    We've had several similar experiences and I'd imagine this is quite common among CC holders. Part of the business of using plastic.

One tip for everyone...if you plan to travel any distance from your home call the CC company you're using and let them know. That way when a fly rod shows up on your card in Bozeman MT they won't yank your card.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,811 Senior Member

I am a Chase CC holder and they are one of the companies that were recently hacked.

I didn't get my card directly compromised, but one of the grocery stores in town was hacked and of course my card info is on record there. Visa called me after it was found and said they were issuing a new card. So far I've had no activity that I can't account for, but I have to give Visa the thumbs up for taking care of me.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

...but I have to give Visa the thumbs up for taking care of me.

Same here. Thursday morning I had 3 emails warning me of fraudulent activity. I promptly called them and told them the charges weren't authorized. They had declined them already but I just wanted to reinforce the fact. They cancelled the card right away and a new one is on the way.

First time this has ever happened to me. Its one of the reasons I don't shop online with my debit card.

Same here. Thursday morning I had 3 emails warning me of fraudulent activity. I promptly called them and told them the charges weren't authorized. They had declined them already but I just wanted to reinforce the fact. They cancelled the card right away and a new one is on the way.

First time this has ever happened to me. Its one of the reasons I don't shop online with my debit card.

Why would you use a debit card for anything other than withdrawing money from an ATM? They are the biggest con job the banking industry has pulled off in recent memory.
    George K wrote: »
    Why would you use a debit card for anything other than withdrawing money from an ATM? They are the biggest con job the banking industry has pulled off in recent memory.

Because I have direct deposit. To get cash requires a trip to the bank which I don't feel like doing. Using an ATM is a $2.50-$4.00 fee each time.

I use the debit card for all shopping except online. Don't even own a checkbook anymore because my bank does free online bill pay.

Not sure what this con job is that you are referring to???

George K wrote: »

George, also curious why you made this statement about debit cards. A debit card simply allows you access to your own money with few if any fees involved. My credit Union even pays all ATM fees so in fact using the debit card costs us nothing. At times they even offer a 2-3% pay back on debit card purchases. Am I missing something?
    In today's market interest on checking accts is negligible, but in the past and in the future it was and will be worth earning. Checks clear very quickly with today's technology, so the rational thing is to pay by charge or credit card. If you use a debit card you lose the float, the time between the purchase and when you pay your charge or credit card bill.

More importantly, if you buy everything with a points or cash back credit card - and pay it in full each month, as though it were a charge card - you get 1% or more back in cash or merchandise and your money earns interest until you pay the bill. Where I live the two largest gas and convenience store chains have free ATMs, and I pass our both our local bank and credit union almost every time I leave the house, so for us it is convenient and a no brainer to use the debit card only for ATM withdrawals.
    Ok, but what is this con job you speak of?

My checking account doesn't earn any interest...by choice because of the type of account I chose.

I don't care about float time and like the fact that my charges using the debit card are instant on my checking account.

The only free ATM I have is the one provided at my bank which is a 7 mile drive away and which I rarely drive by. All other ATMs at gas stations etc. charge a fee.

Still not seeing a down side to shopping with a debit card or this con job you speak of??

I see it as convenience and like the fact that I no longer have to purchase or write out checks. Lots of money has been saved by not having to purchase checks.

My apologies.

I confess I assumed that free ATMs and no-fee, interest bearing checking accounts with free checks are available in most places. When I travel I always have been able to find a convenient free ATM. In your circumstances it makes sense to use a debit card, but definitely not where I live.

Perhaps there's more competition here in the densely-populated east.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.