Gear Review

Went fishing this weekend with my daughter in SWW. Tough sledding on Saturday. Not a lot of hits and I missed most of them. Eden missed all of hers. Just out of practice I think.
Sunday went better. Lot of action to foam beetles, and my strikes were on time. Eden pulled one out of the fire and got off the schneid literally minutes before it was time to head home.

Brought two new things with me....

Tippet rings! Yeah I bought some. Liked them too.
The Orvis Guide Sling Pack. I liked this too. Plenty of room for boxes, a rain jacket, some beef jerky. The new pack has a secure bottle holder. My back felt fine all day and it rides higher than a fanny pack so stuff never got wet. The big complaint has been that the tippet holder is on the wrong side for a rightie. This is true, but a small price to pay and nothing is perfect. I recommend.

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I'm not familiar with the term "sledding" in this context. Do tell.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    Hah. It didn't occur to me to actually make the knot while it was still on the safety pin thingie.
    sherb wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the term "sledding" in this context. Do tell.

Really?
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    The Orvis Guide Sling Pack.

I went to a sling pack last year and like it. I don't think I can fit as much stuff as you mentioned, but I bought it specifically to try and trim the crap i bring.

I got one of these after seeing it at the flyfishing show:

WEB_TL-OLV-300x300.gif

http://vedavoo.com/
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,190 Senior Member
    I trimmed the crap I need to carry by separating my flies into boxes that correspond with the hatches that are going on during a particular time in the season. Only carry 2 boxes now.

I've resorted to a lightweight chest pack instead of the murse.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63713?page=kennebec-chest-pack

This weekend, I'll go out with one box of tricos and one box of terrestrials.
    I carry a lot of stuff when I go trout fishing.

I think it's because I have to travel 4.5 hours each way so can't really afford to be wrong. And then, half the time, it's a big slog back to the car if I need something else.
    I jury-rigged my sling pack to carry a net. I tied a knot in the sling and slid a magnet down to the knot. Works great.
    I carry a lot of stuff when I go trout fishing.

I think it's because I have to travel 4.5 hours each way so can't really afford to be wrong. And then, half the time, it's a big slog back to the car if I need something else.

Where you went this past weekend at most all you needed was terrestrials and tricos. Maybe nymphs if you wanted to do a dropper rig. 3 fly boxes tops. Not much else going on this time of year.
    Not Saturday for sure. Terrestrials were worthless. Did our best on Blackbottom with BWO's. There was a sparse hatch in the evening. I probably should have gone to the midge box, but I hate fishing midges.

I usually target the second half of July for crickets. Nada. Didn't even hear any crickets or hoppers. All the rain?
    I jury-rigged my sling pack to carry a net. I tied a knot in the sling and slid a magnet down to the knot. Works great.

Got a pic?
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,906 Senior Member
    I dont need no stinkin' tippet rings. I just tie on an extra fly, usually a big one, like a stimmie, to the end of the leader, and tie the new tippet to the hook bend. Ended up with a 3 fly set at times on friday, and yes, it does get tangled, but if there's no obvious hatch I get and extra fly on the rig to find out what might be good today. Caught fish on the upper Arkansas, mostly on Arkanglers new thingy, a yellow-bodied Copper john, (PMD Immi?) the bottom of the three.
    Got a pic?

photoofslingpack_zpse4ef5102.jpg

taken yesterday
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,278 Senior Member
    Because we do so much hiking at elevation here, I use a cheap hydration back-pack that I have jury rigged for fishing. I keep all my fly boxes in the back, I don't have a lot, and I keep a small box in my shirt pocket with the flies I am sure I will use that day. Here hatch matching is not much of an issue. Stimmies and Hare's Ears are pretty much all you need. After my experience with the hip pack, I think I am going to go back to a vest eventually.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Not Saturday for sure. Terrestrials were worthless. Did our best on Blackbottom with BWO's. There was a sparse hatch in the evening. I probably should have gone to the midge box, but I hate fishing midges.

I usually target the second half of July for crickets. Nada. Didn't even hear any crickets or hoppers. All the rain?

This years rain and extended cold spring has delayed a lot of hatch activity or shut it down all together. It's been my poorest year ever in 22 years of fishing WI.

While I have caught numerous trout this year, most have been on streamers and nymphs...but I hate nymphing. I have caught a BWO hatch twice in April and the tail end of the March browns in late May. Outside of that it has been either too cold or flooded.

Because of this, I threw in the towel on trout in early June and have been smallmouth bass fishing instead on the WI river with my new kayak.

Now that the weather and water levels have stabilized, I think I'll go back out trout fishing this weekend. Tricos should be on...hoppers in the afternoon

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    joekrz wrote: »

While I have caught numerous trout this year, most have been on streamers and nymphs...but I hate nymphing.

****!?!?!?! You sir are NOT welcome to my scotch.
    joekrz wrote: »

Because of this, I threw in the towel on trout in early June and have been smallmouth bass fishing instead on the WI river with my new kayak.

The canoe hatch was pretty heavy yesterday afternoon.
    The old Madison Outfitters used to do a float trip out of Sauk City. I did it a couple of times. White bass and smallies. I did take a big old smallie, never knew how much it weighed. It bottomed out the guide's boga grip.
    photoofslingpack_zpse4ef5102.jpg

taken yesterday

Got to think about this.

FWIW, nymphing up and across really isn't viable in the SWW creeks. I'll nymph, but that's mostly an act of desperation.
    It works pretty well. I wasn't sure it was going to, but I was at my wits end. I hate vests. I don't like the chest packs. I love the sling pack, but I was only able to carrying a net by stuffing it into my wader belt. Obviously that's not an option for summertime. So I tried that and while it doesn't work perfectly, it works. I went to the net because trying to tail fish is a good way to break off flies and/or bury them into your hand. I save tailing for the steelhead.
    I think the fact that it is free swinging would bother me. Plus here we have to scale huge boulders and cliffs (did I mention I am terrified of heights) so additional distractions are not a good fit for me.

But if it works for you, awesome.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    crappy quality on the vid, but it gives you a better shot of the pack/net.
    Video set to private. Damnit!
    The video is private. Did you almost post something we shouldn't be seeing?

The vedavoo one I got has a ring for attaching a net. I'm surprised they all don't have this. This is ****. I'll make some calls.
    ****!?!?!?! You sir are NOT welcome to my scotch.

Lol.

Like Steve mentioned...nymphing for me has become an act of desperation. Probably nymphed more between March and June this year than I have the past 10 years combined.

I get sick of snagging up and having to break off and re-tie the whole rig. I especially become angry after I spend 10-15 minutes re-rigging then have to break it off again 5 casts later...tourettes syndrome kicks in big time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Hextall wrote: »
    Video set to private. Damnit!

whoops. fixed.
    I went to the net because trying to tail fish is a good way to break off flies and/or bury them into your hand.

Braggart!
    a humble brag, perhaps. Nothing more.
    Well, that is the worst czech nymphing video ever!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.