amateur archeology

FishTXFishTX Super ModeratorPosts: 8,060 Senior Member
The boss got a subcontractor turned on to hunting Native American relics. For a few months now, the guy has been working on job site, and while his crew works, he hunts. Almost every workday he emails the boss photos of what he has found. Mostly arrow heads.

Yesterday, after work, the boss and I go to check on a job at another site. The loggers didn't show up, so to make the drive worthwhile, we hunted for an hour or sow. Within the first few minutes, Dana finds a mostly finished arrow head and later a grinding stone. I didn't have much luck. I found four flakes from the tool making process and a pottery shard.

You can see where the potter etched parallel lines in the piece I found.

pottery-shard_zpsf87fc7fa.jpg
"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Replies

• dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Those are dinosaur tracks.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,060 Senior Member
    dryflie wrote: »
    Those are dinosaur tracks.
    must be a baby dinosaur
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,278 Senior Member
    Snailosaurus.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    that's funny

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,311 Senior Member
    Cool. What are the rules about collecting artifacts? I remember we went and visited some of my folks friends way back when in northern CA. We found a whole bunch of cool arrowheads, grinding stones and bowls, etc. But we weren't allowed to take them. Which was good, considering on grinding rock was from this boulder that was bigger than a car.
    No rules on private land other than needing the landowner's permission. Public land requires permits and artifacts need to be given over to the state historical society who'll give them to museums, schools etc.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    ...give them to museums, schools etc.

Do museums in Texas display the artifacts next to Jesus riding a dinosaur?
    jesus%20riding%20dinosaur.widea.jpg
    HAHAHA How freaking awesome would it be for a museum to have a t-rex skeleton with a Neanderthal man riding on it. I would be there instantly
    Colorado had plenty of arrowheads & artifacts but it seems Neanderthal man rode T-rex & collected the rest of them off the plains already.

Head west young Neanderthal.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Jbilly, just google "creation museum" and plan the family vacation!
    "That is, unless you would care to take a quick stroll on the surface of New Earth. It's only half completed, I'm afraid -- we haven't even finished burying the artificial dinosaur skeletons in the crust yet, then we have the Tertiary and Quaternary Periods of the Cenozoic Era to lay down, and ..."-Slartibartfast

• swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,560 Senior Member
    Here is a link to the Antiquities Act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiquities_Act
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • JLTJLT Senior Member Posts: 484 Senior Member
    My wife's cousin knows how to make arrow heads. He even taught some Navahos how it's done... I've seen him make them from glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's cool.

• JLTJLT Senior Member Posts: 484 Senior Member
    Our cousin used a deer antler to make the ones I saw him make. He hunted in Utah & Nevada quite a bit. Since his hunting buddies knew he knew how to make arrow heads, when he would find one the often didn't believe him ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.