The Borders Are Secure

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    "But even more importantly, the U.S. fiscal year starts on October 1 and ends on September 30 of the following year. This means that FY 2012 actually started in October 2011 and ended in September 2012. Considering that applications for deferred action could only be submitted starting on August 15, 2012"

Right. Because a bunch of illiterate peons understood that they had to wait til August.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,350 Senior Member
    Funny how logic and reason go flying right out the door when ODS sets in.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Interesting also that when we sent Elian Gonzales home to the loving arms of his father it was because Janet Reno was a heartless witch. But now that Michelle Bachman wants to ship these kids back to be killed by drug gangs or to be forced into sex slavery it is because she is a God Fearing American.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,330 Senior Member
    Actually I was all for Elian being sent home, but I wasn't a lodge member back then.
    Interesting also that when we sent Elian Gonzales home to the loving arms of his father it was because Janet Reno was a heartless witch. But now that Michelle Bachman wants to ship these kids back to be killed by drug gangs or to be forced into sex slavery it is because she is a God Fearing American.

So wait a second are you pissed at Clinton for having him deported or was that somehow Bush's fault?

So either you have to be upset at Slick or Obama, which is it?
    Funny how logic and reason go flying right out the door when ODS sets in.

So. Weak. ****
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    So GOP congressmen go to Honduras to "study" the immigration problem and find it too dangerous to venture too far from their hotel. They do however decide it's perfectly safe for children.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    From the Daily KOS
    And it's not just that, mind you: it's a plot by the Obama administration to bring America down. You thought it was going to be secret Muslimism, or secret born-in-Kenyaism, or not bombing INSERT NATION HERE, but nobody was prepared for the real plot, the one where a bunch of children show up at our border and we're all Oh my God, we can't possibly handle this without g-d-mm effing warships. Now we'll have to give those kids blankets and graham crackers and that's money that should be going to some gigantic blowhard's twenty-third consecutive tax cut. Board up the house and cancel the phone service, grandma, America is done.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    dryflie wrote: »
    So GOP congressmen go to Honduras to "study" the immigration problem and find it too dangerous to venture too far from their hotel. They do however decide it's perfectly safe for children.

Maybe we should just annex Honduras and turn it into the 51st state. Problem solved.
    Only if we get Belize.
    The GOP worries anxiously about the unvaccinated immigrant children coming here....to the unvaccinated capital of the civilized world. Honduras has one of the lowest rates of Measles in the free world due entirely to vaccination programs. Last year we had 180+ outbreaks in this country. We're on our way to 3rd world status.
  • bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    The GOP worries anxiously about the unvaccinated immigrant children coming here....to the unvaccinated capital of the civilized world. Honduras has one of the lowest rates of Measles in the free world due entirely to vaccination programs. Last year we had 180+ outbreaks in this country. We're on our way to 3rd world status.

Dryflie, put up or shut up. Volunteer to "take in" a few of those kids into YOUR home. Feed them, clothe them, and pay for them until they are 18. Do it for the children. Unless YOU are willing to do this, you are full of ****.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory."
    Aldo Leopold
    bakerloo wrote: »
    Dryflie, put up or shut up. Volunteer to "take in" a few of those kids into YOUR home. Feed them, clothe them, and pay for them until they are 18. Do it for the children. Unless YOU are willing to do this, you are full of ****.

Not a problem Bakeroo, drop off a couple. To be perfectly honest with you my wife and I were foster parents for many years. We took in many children from abusive homes, fell in love with most of them and even today after years we keep in touch with several. We started in the 70's with the Fresh Air Fund, a group that brings kids up from Harlem/Hells Kitchen. We hosted kids for many summers and it's an experience we'll never forget.

I spent many years in an orphanage as a young boy and understand what it means to have no one care about you.

So If I were close and could help a kid, no problem...do it in a heartbeat.
    Know we will never agree on politics, but hats off to you and your wife for being foster parents and giving kids in need a loving home.
    jbilly wrote: »
    Know we will never agree on politics, but hats off to you and your wife for being foster parents and giving kids in need a loving home.

I agree 100%.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory."
    Aldo Leopold
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,911 Senior Member
    To those who complain that the border should be "secured", I would like to know a period in the past when the border was "secure"? A period when anyone trying to cross illegally was apprehended. It seems to me that when a politico, cable head, or poster here says the border should be "secured" they are blowing smoke out an alternative bodily orifice because they know that is not possible and has never been possible. BTW, let these children in, and in 20 years they will be working and helping to pay for your medicare and social security.
    creekguy wrote: »
    To those who complain that the border should be "secured", I would like to know a period in the past when the border was "secure"? A period when anyone trying to cross illegally was apprehended. It seems to me that when a politico, cable head, or poster here says the border should be "secured" they are blowing smoke out an alternative bodily orifice because they know that is not possible and has never been possible. BTW, let these children in, and in 20 years they will be working and helping to pay for your medicare and social security.

Please tell me where these uneducated, non English speaking people will be working.
    Thanks in advance.
    Aldo Leopold
    Please tell me where these uneducated, non English speaking people will be working.
    Thanks in advance.

Probably in the same sort of places uneducated non english speaking Poles, Italians, French, Russians immigrants worked when they first came to this country.

Why is it you and others feel that immigrants from Central America are different than immigrants from other parts of the world??
    Hey Bakerloo, are you fluent in Spanish?

BTW we still get non-English speaking Poles, Italians, and Russians.
    Hey Bakerloo, are you fluent in Spanish?

BTW we still get non-English speaking Poles, Italians, and Russians.

No, I am not. I don't need to be. If I moved to a Mexico, I would learn just enough Spanish get in line for all the free **** that they give to immigrants. Yep, that's what I would do.
    Aldo Leopold
    Probably in the same sort of places uneducated non english speaking Poles, Italians, French, Russians immigrants worked when they first came to this country.

Why is it you and others feel that immigrants from Central America are different than immigrants from other parts of the world??

So, what you're saying is that they will work in min wage jobs and you will **** that they have to live on welfare. Ok, got it.
    Aldo Leopold
    An interesting thing I saw in NY. The construction companies were divided by what country you came from. If you were Polish, everybody who worked for you was Polish and spoke Polish. If you were Pakistani, they were Pakistani and so on and so on.

BTW most of the kitchens in this country are dominated by immigrants from Mexico and believe it or not, not all of those jobs pay minimum wage. There are also businesses in this country that are owned and operated by undocumented people. We just had a great deal of cement work done by the city, I would bet that most of those people doing the work were immigrants or sons of immigrants. The guy who did the cement work on my mother's house was a legal immigrant. But he was not born here and acquired his trade in Mexico. The idea that these are all unskilled labor is ridiculous and to be honest all of the Mexicans I have known have been some of the hardest working people I have known. For the most part these people work 2 and 3 jobs and put 3 generations of their families in one house.
    Good to know that you are bilingual. That's cool!
    Do your knock knock jokes translate into Spanish very well?
    Aldo Leopold
    The idea that these are all unskilled labor is ridiculous and to be honest all of the Mexicans I have known have been some of the hardest working people I have known. For the most part these people work 2 and 3 jobs and put 3 generations of their families in one house.

I believe we have been talking about unaccompanied minors from countries south of Mexico.
    Aldo Leopold
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,072 Senior Member
    All this border security talk and who did what as far as laws are concerned is fine fodder for an internet argument, but nobody has spoken about a big problem. Does not matter if we said come on up to a better life, or the coyotes promised the same for a fee. The impression has been given. As long as they have that impression and they face poverty, drug cartels, sex slavery etc., they will want to come here.

You can't stop that desire with with fences, border patrols and laws. All you can do is throw money at the problem. If we are going to spend money, then the most effective use of it is to help our neighbors improve conditions in their countries. Until they get a better handle on crime and poverty, we will be spending money and arguing till the cows come home.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    I believe we have been talking about unaccompanied minors from countries south of Mexico.

True. However it seems you've condemned them to a lifetime of welfare when in fact most kids go to school, often to college and would become very productive citizens if we let them. We have thousands of very well educated illegal immigrants struggling to go to college or to work and the GOP alone stands in their path. Seems they prefer them on welfare rather than working and oh yea voting.
    We give those countries a boat load of money already.
    Did you "talk" to Comic about hurting my feelings? I'm sensitive you know...
    Aldo Leopold
    True. However it seems you've condemned them to a lifetime of welfare when in fact most kids go to school, often to college and would become very productive citizens if we let them. We have thousands of very well educated illegal immigrants struggling to go to college or to work and the GOP alone stands in their path. Seems they prefer them on welfare rather than working and oh yea voting.

You're right. We do have thousands of well educated illegals trying to go to college. Unfortunately, in CA we have about 2,830,000 illegals here... (http://www.laalmanac.com/immigration/im04a.htm)
    Aldo Leopold
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,072 Senior Member
    We give those countries a boat load of money already.

But what do we do about law enforcement training? Business training for those who will put that money to work? And any other non-monetary help. Give money is good, but we have to do more. If we don't this problem will never go away.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.