Home The Lodge

Did I miss the thread on the illegal immigrant kids?

Replies

• dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    bakerloo wrote: »
    Ya, no cost to the states. Thanks for your concern.
    Bless your heart.

You are apparently immune to sarcasm. Oh well.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,545 Senior Member
    There is no denying that we are lucky to live here. How many citizens are not currently working. Do you honestly think that a majority of these non English speaking unaccompanied minors will become tax payers? Or will they become tax burdens?

How many years are we talking? I am thinking over their lifetimes, you might actually get a Bill Gates out of the bunch.

BTW your argument was the same made to keep Italian and Irish immigrants out of the country.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    How many years are we talking? I am thinking over their lifetimes, you might actually get a Bill Gates out of the bunch.

BTW your argument was the same made to keep Italian and Irish immigrants out of the country.

You're right, we might actually get a Bill Gates...
    Gotta go feed my unicorn now. I'll be back later.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,014 Senior Member
    We are all lucky to be here and I don't blame others for wanting to be here too. But that doesn't make illegal immigration right. We should have immigration, hell almost all of us here had ancestors who immigrated here at some point, and some of it was probably done illegally (I don't know what the rules of the day were and sadly I don't know my ancestry well enough to know who came when and how).

But just because it was done that way 100 or 200 or whatever years ago doesn't make it right. I don't see why anyone should be at the front of the line just because they can sneak across the boarder. Shouldn't someone from Germany or India or anywhere have the same opportunity to come here as someone from Mexico?

I don't get why the left wants to have more laws for some issues and more enforcement of those laws, yet doesn't give a **** about immigration laws that are being blatantly broken. Well yes I get it, but laugh at the hypocrisy.
    jbilly wrote: »
    We are all lucky to be here and I don't blame others for wanting to be here too. But that doesn't make illegal immigration right. We should have immigration, hell almost all of us here had ancestors who immigrated here at some point, and some of it was probably done illegally (I don't know what the rules of the day were and sadly I don't know my ancestry well enough to know who came when and how).

But just because it was done that way 100 or 200 or whatever years ago doesn't make it right. I don't see why anyone should be at the front of the line just because they can sneak across the boarder. Shouldn't someone from Germany or India or anywhere have the same opportunity to come here as someone from Mexico?

I don't get why the left wants to have more laws for some issues and more enforcement of those laws, yet doesn't give a **** about immigration laws that are being blatantly broken. Well yes I get it, but laugh at the hypocrisy.

It's not that liberals haven't any respect for immigration laws, it's simply that the laws don't and will not work. Can we build a wall high and long enough to stop the flow...I don't think so, do you?. So most liberals, rather than gnashing our teeth try to deal with the reality. That's the difference between conservative and liberals, conservative deal with problems with ideology, liberals with pragmatism. Conservatives scream about the law, the law...well the law sucks and is totally ineffective. **** little good it's done so far. Our spending on border protection has never been higher, what's that conservative mantra about throwing money at a problem? So what's the conservative solution? Other than whining about the expense? Do we build walls, put the Army on the border, fly C30 cargo planes loaded with kids back to Honduras?

Apparently for conservatives it's OK to spend a Trillion or Two in Iraq but the cost to deal with a mess of kids fleeing violence and crime is too much.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

Again not all illegals come from Mexico.

Those laws are being blatantly broken because conservatives want cheap illegal labor. Why is it you only want to punish the people that cross the border and not those that enable them? Send them to prison and the incentive to cross the border goes away.

BTW it may be an inconvenient truth for you but this administration has deported millions of illegals and is in the process of deporting these kids. But you can't just dump them in Nogales and say, you're on your own. Some of them may actually have relatives that will sponsor them and have legitimate asylum requests. They get due process and there has to be a method for humanely returning them to their home country.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    dryflie wrote: »
    Do we build walls, put the Army on the border, fly C30 cargo planes loaded with kids back to Honduras?

I am all for those ideas. If you don't like those what's your solution?
    Again not all illegals come from Mexico.

Those laws are being blatantly broken because conservatives want cheap illegal labor. Why is it you only want to punish the people that cross the border and not those that enable them? Send them to prison and the incentive to cross the border goes away.

I have said repeatedly that businesses should be punished for employing illegals. What else do you want to hear.
    I am all for those ideas. If you don't like those what's your solution?

Well since we can't build walls long or high enough forget that idea, it's stupid. We could hire a million new border guards and spend billions on their salaries/benefits/equipment etc. When immigrants stop coming we'd lay them all off and start the process over again. Dumb idea. So we process the kids, find out if the have relatives here already, find out if any have people who will sponsor them. Others might be returned if it's safe. Might be other creative and morally acceptable ideas out there that in total could cost less that building brick walls.

Do you really favor sending kids back to countries where they face violence and crime?
    Well since we can't build walls long or high enough forget that idea, it's stupid. We could hire a million new border guards and spend billions on their salaries/benefits/equipment etc. When immigrants stop coming we'd lay them all off and start the process over again. Dumb idea. So we process the kids, find out if the have relatives here already, find out if any have people who will sponsor them. Others might be returned if it's safe. Might be other creative and morally acceptable ideas out there that in total could cost less that building brick walls.

Do you really favor sending kids back to countries where they face violence and crime?

We should send them to Detroit.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,226 Senior Member
    I have said repeatedly that businesses should be punished for employing illegals. What else do you want to hear.

I want to hear they should go to prison. The fines do not scare them. They save too much on the slave wages they pay the illegals.
    joekrz wrote: »
    It's a great idea to keep letting them cross the border...

http://www.abc15.com/news/national/immigrants-bringing-diseases-across-border

Oh lord please spare us the deadly scabies outbreak.

If we were letting them cross, they wouldn't be in detention facilities.
    We should send them to Detroit.

Trust me, they just came from Detroit.
    Oh lord please spare us the deadly scabies outbreak.

“We are starting to see chicken pox, MRSA staph infections, we are starting to see different viruses,” Cabrera said.

MRSA is no big deal until YOU get it. Kinda like cancer, no big deal until it's you.

DHS has denied all requests for interviews with doctors and medical staff treating sick immigrants. The agency has also turned down our request for a tour.

That's not very transparent of them.

If were STOPPING them from crossing there wouldn't be a need for detention facilities.
    If were STOPPING them from crossing there wouldn't be a need for detention facilities.

So what do you think, land mines, great big nets. The great wall of the US of A. Let's invade Honduras and kill all the criminals. You really think there's a way to stop them?? Must be Obama just isn't trying hard enough right. Oh and Benghazi.
    “We are starting to see chicken pox, MRSA staph infections, we are starting to see different viruses,” Cabrera said.

MRSA is no big deal until YOU get it. Kinda like cancer, no big deal until it's you.

DHS has denied all requests for interviews with doctors and medical staff treating sick immigrants. The agency has also turned down our request for a tour.

That's not very transparent of them.

Don't forget the swine flu...
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/24/first-swine-flu-case-diagnosed-among-illegal-alien-children-at-texas-base/

Remember (well ok I guess we are all to young) but back in the day when immigrants had to go through helth checks at Ellis Island. Yeah that was a total waste of tax dollars.
    So what do you think, land mines, great big nets. The great wall of the US of A. Let's invade Honduras and kill all the criminals. You really think there's a way to stop them?? Must be Obama just isn't trying hard enough right. Oh and Benghazi.

Yes your right, instead of trying to do something we should just throw in the towel and give up. That will certainly fix everything.

So what do you recommend?
    So what do you recommend?

It will work day or night. :D

633882550004180590-FEARsometimestheproperresponse.jpg
    Yes your right, instead of trying to do something we should just throw in the towel and give up. That will certainly fix everything.

Yup Billy, that's it, I just give up. Why should I worry, it's obvious you conservatives have got this well under control. I think if you all just pray away the gay and the immigrants we'll be fine. Oh and Benghazi.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,659 Senior Member
    Yup Billy, that's it, I just give up. Why should I worry, it's obvious you conservatives have got this well under control. I think if you all just pray away the gay and the immigrants we'll be fine. Oh and Benghazi.

Perhaps they long for good old days of "Mission Accomplished" and "It's All Ted's Fault".
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,287 Senior Member

They don't allow those to fly by day anymore as the danger of getting shot down by a heat-seeking missile is too great. And if you think that's not a worry, you haven't read some of the things that border-state folks are arguing for up-armoring and -arming the police. Supposedly the cartels have anti-aircraft missiles and Mk19 grenade launchers. "On loan" from the Mexican Army.
    They don't allow those to fly by day anymore as the danger of getting shot down by a heat-seeking missile is too great. And if you think that's not a worry, you haven't read some of the things that border-state folks are arguing for up-armoring and -arming the police. Supposedly the cartels have anti-aircraft missiles and Mk19 grenade launchers. "On loan" from the Mexican Army.

The new ones are fine in the day time.
    http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/afsoc-year-in-review-2013/2/

The rapid development of the W-model gunship and its movement into combat, even while testing of additions to its weapons suite continued at Cannon, has proved AFSOC’s responsiveness to the needs of combat. The ability of the W-models to fly higher and to provide daytime support has allowed for tactical support of village/tribal engagement operations.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,287 Senior Member
    Interesting. Too bad we didn't have them earlier in Afghanistan. I've read of a few missions/battles where the lack of AC-130s has gone poorly for those on the ground.

Do you know how much it costs to fly one of those?
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    I have a 40mm brass shell casing (or whatever the technical term for it is) from an AC-130. They come up from their base in New Mexico to shoot the **** out of a different desert now and again. We asked them for some brass and they were happy to oblige. Unfortunately, they weren't firing the 105mm during their latest missions up in my neck of the woods. Still, a 40mm casing is pretty **** neat.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I have a 40mm brass shell casing (or whatever the technical term for it is) from an AC-130. They come up from their base in New Mexico to shoot the **** out of a different desert now and again. We asked them for some brass and they were happy to oblige. Unfortunately, they weren't firing the 105mm during their latest missions up in my neck of the woods. Still, a 40mm casing is pretty **** neat.

Cool. I've got a 20mm dummy round and a casing from a 30mm from an A-10. The 30mm is freaking huge (Probably at least 6 or 7 inches long). The 40 mm must be what like 10"that is crazy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement