Ok, I realize I am no that old yet...

jbillyjbilly Senior MemberPosts: 5,181 Senior Member
but getting older **** sucks. So I was home Wednesday and Thursday from work with a bad cold. Wanted to rip off my head was coughing up a lung, etc. Had felt like crap since Sunday but thought I wasn't too bad. Anyway I finally got some rest and felt really good Friday (was a normal day off work).

So Friday I took it easy did a few errands (picked up some plants at the nursery bought a few new shirts), met the wife for lunch, etc. Last night I went out and dug in the yard a bit, nothing to strenuous. Didn't do anything funny, didn't drop anything on myself, etc.

Went to bed everything was fine, my son woke up at midnight went and settled him down felt just fine. My wife got up at 5 AM to take SIL to airport and my ankle felt like complete @$$. If I turned it, it hurt. I went back to sleep for a bit though as it wasn't too bad. Well I finally got up ad I could barely walk on it. I can kind of put my weight on the ball of it and it isn't too bad or if I put my weight on my toes it isn't too bad. I try to stand normally and I **** near want to fall over.

I have no idea if I twisted it or what. Seriously how the hell can you f up your foot while in bed?

Well today I am doing hot and cold compresses and trying to stay off it. This is ridiculous though, I hurt myself sleeping....**** you cruel world **** you!!!

Replies

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    JB, you might be right about the age thing, but not what you think. I too woke up one night with pain, not in my ankle, but in my big toe, the more usual for gout. It's fairly common and typically hits "middle aged" men, and shows up as mysterious pain in the middle of the night. You need to get you uric acid tested. (have you had a recent physical?) Mine was over 9, with 6 or so being the point at which it starts to show up. Not to worry, if it is gout, the drug allopurinol works fine with no side effects for me. Naproxen (aleve) is the best OTC drug to relieve the pain, but you may need to take two. Anyway, good luck. I am now dealing with all sorts of old guy (i'm 70) medical issues, and wish gout was my only problem.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,807 Senior Member
    Just be aware that naproxen can be a real gut-ripper. For many it is not the best choice for an anti-inflammatory. For me, voltarin works best with the fewest side effects. I used to take Celebrex but it stopped working.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    but getting older **** sucks. So I was home Wednesday and Thursday from work with a bad cold. Wanted to rip off my head was coughing up a lung, etc. Had felt like crap since Sunday but thought I wasn't too bad. Anyway I finally got some rest and felt really good Friday (was a normal day off work).

So Friday I took it easy did a few errands (picked up some plants at the nursery bought a few new shirts), met the wife for lunch, etc. Last night I went out and dug in the yard a bit, nothing to strenuous. Didn't do anything funny, didn't drop anything on myself, etc.

Went to bed everything was fine, my son woke up at midnight went and settled him down felt just fine. My wife got up at 5 AM to take SIL to airport and my ankle felt like complete @$$. If I turned it, it hurt. I went back to sleep for a bit though as it wasn't too bad. Well I finally got up ad I could barely walk on it. I can kind of put my weight on the ball of it and it isn't too bad or if I put my weight on my toes it isn't too bad. I try to stand normally and I **** near want to fall over.

I have no idea if I twisted it or what. Seriously how the hell can you f up your foot while in bed?

Well today I am doing hot and cold compresses and trying to stay off it. This is ridiculous though, I hurt myself sleeping....**** you cruel world **** you!!!

You'll be happy to know it just gets worse..;)

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    Well with my kidney transplant (I am 39) I have regular blood and urine checks and checked my lab records and uric acid is not one of the things they look at so I will ask my doc. Not sure if gout is hereditary (forgot to google that), but I do remember as a young kid my Dad would get it in his toes. I had never heard of it in an ankle.

I didn't do much but sit in the office messing with the computer or laying on the couch with my foot up. It does feel slightly better but I still can't out much pressure on it. Hoping that in the morning it is feeling better or may have to consider calling the dr.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member
    George, just tried voltaren last month for arthritis pain and possible bursitis in my hips. **** if it didn't make me nauseated. I had never experienced anything like that with an anti-inflammatory. Weird. I need to go back and get something else for the pain. Walked about two miles today with the pup and I'm hurting.
    I'm with ya though, JBilly. If I hurt this bad at 45, I cannot imagine what happens in another 20 years.
    PS. I'm just getting over having shingles. NOT fun...

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,807 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    George, just tried voltaren last month for arthritis pain and possible bursitis in my hips. **** if it didn't make me nauseated. I had never experienced anything like that with an anti-inflammatory. Weird. I need to go back and get something else for the pain. Walked about two miles today with the pup and I'm hurting.
    I'm with ya though, JBilly. If I hurt this bad at 45, I cannot imagine what happens in another 20 years.

My rheumatologist says that everyone reacts differently to the each of the many anti-inflammatory drugs, and that it's a matter of finding the one that works for you. Both he and my primary care doc also said that naproxen is more likely to cause problems than some others.

So it's a matter of trial and error finding one that works and that you tolerate well.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    You look pretty old in your avatar.... just smoke some legal pot.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    swizz wrote: »
    You look pretty old in your avatar.... just smoke some legal pot.

Hahaha. Well yes, I could spark up I suppose. But not if I want to keep my job. You wouldn't believe how many reminders we get about that.
    Yeah, if wasn't on the random urinalysis program I could see a fishing/camping trip to CO this summer.

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    Man JB, when you are my age (just turned 62) you are going to be screwed.

Naproxen someone mentioned, is the devil. The first time it was prescribed for me it worked great, then it became hell. Today I'll take 1200mgs of Ibuprofen and have no stomach issues....I know that's just me. I do it rarely though.

All this talk of gout, I figure you have lymes...well I hope that you don't.

One of "our" fish techs gets gout in the winter after eating nothing but wild game all fall and winter. I told about him "variety," What like Duck one day, venison the next, and Grouse......... No Jason.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    jbilly wrote: »
    Hahaha. Well yes, I could spark up I suppose. But not if I want to keep my job. You wouldn't believe how many reminders we get about that.
    Yeah, aren't you the guy who targets ICBM's or something?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,988 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »

Friend of mine has some arthritis and stung himself with bee in the problem area. Claims it worked. Effects last about 2 years before having to do it again if I remember correctly. It's called apitherapy.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50602

http://www.naturalnews.com/028370_apitherapy_bee_stings.html

Other anti-inflammatories... Tart Cherries, Tart Cherry Juice, Tumeric etc.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2013/jun2013_Anti-Inflammatory-Properties-of-Tart-Cherry_01.htm

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/tart-cherries-may-fight-chronic-inflammation

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/04/26/the-spice-that-actually-doubles-as-a-powerful-antiinflammatory.aspx

I don't like taking pills for issues, because of side effects. I also don't believe that taking a pill is the answer. I would rather look for natural methods.

I can vouch for the cherry juice as an alternative to pills, as I have osteoarthritis in my right knee from ACL surgery and cartilage removal in 1997. It works.
    I will look into the cherry juice, Joe. Probably a lot of good anti-oxidants to boot!
    I too have osteoarthritis just about everywhere except knees. I think I'm starting to get it in my surgically repaired knee too. The doc told me it was inevitable.
    I went to the doctor and he gave me meloxicam and I have taken it for two days. It seems to work better than the massive amounts of ibuprofen i had been ingesting and it's only a once/day pill. Hopefully it will continue to work.
    PS I think we should test the bee hypothesis on Hextall.
    Well finally went to the dr. on Tuesday even though it felt quite a bit better. He didn't do an x-ray, but with my kidney issues he says it is gout. I of course can't take the regular meds because of my kidney transplant so he prescribed some prednisone..seriously what don't they prescribe that for. Anyway most transplants used to get prednisone as part of the transplant regime. I was in a stuy and never got it and now as part of that study they don't do it on a regular basis.

Anyway by this morning it felt even better and I was almost walking completely normally on it; but I decided to start taking the prednisone anyway.

Once I stop taking the meds he wants me to wait a few weeks and then come back in and do a blood test for the uric acid levels so that will be the true determination,
  • Mr. RightMr. Right Senior Member Posts: 535 Senior Member
    I'm 68. I won't depress you about what the years ahead have in store for you. Just enjoy what you have and man up for what is ahead. ;)
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    One advantage of being older, is you don't worry about long term side affects..;)

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ricinus wrote: »
    One advantage of being older, is you don't worry about long term side affects..;)

Mike

I love it, best post in weeks. And it's true....:)

Glad that you are feeling better JB
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,575 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    I love it, best post in weeks. And it's true....:)

Glad that you are feeling better JB

That is why I have decided on my 80th birthday, I am going to try heroin.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    That is why I have decided on my 80th birthday, I am going to try heroin.

Why wait, by the time you are 80 the climate may not support much agriculture. Then you'll wish you had tried it earlier.:D
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Some of you will be happy to know (I was) that when people are asked today what age they consider to be OLD most people have settled on 80. With better health care and more drugs people are living healthier longer lives.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    My oldest brother (one year removed from being that old) has had a kidney removed, a lung removed, a melanoma removed, and has diabetes. I went out to eat with him in Vegas where he lives, and he ordered a cheeseburger. I commented and he said, "At this point i eat whatever the hell I want".

The young guy renting the condo downstairs, was smoking pot on the porch Memorial Day, and the smell permeated my place. I was torn between complaining to him, and asking him for a toke.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,575 Senior Member
    I saw something where they may have found a protein that can reverse some of the effects of aging.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.