If McDonald's Employees Should Get $15 an hour...

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,330 Senior Member

Lets assume that paying an employee $15/hour gets them off government assistance. So now they have more money to spend on the things that the government had been paying for such as food and medical care. So at that point...Doesn't their net spending remain the same then since they now have to pay for those items themselves?

The one benefit of $15/hour is that taxpayers aren't footing the bill for public assistance, but it doesn't seem that the individual will be better off financially because of it.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,377 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Why are diamonds more expensive than water?

That's a tough one. :p

Thank you thank you I am here all week.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    What's the value to McDonalds' shareholders of adding one more fry cook?
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,131 Senior Member
    What's the value to McDonalds' shareholders of adding one more fry cook?

What's the value to society in general, and taxpayers specifically in having McDonalds' employees being able to support themselves without public assistance?
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    On the numbers? At best it's a wash.

Let's look at it this way. The government mandates I pay taxes of say $20,000 annually, of which, some $1,000 goes for public assistance. Instead, the government mandates that rather than the $1,000 I spend on eating out a year, I have to pay, $2,000, of which $1,000 will go to workers. We better or worse off?

And of course, this assumes I keep on eating out once a week. What if I don't?

Mandating a $15 wage doesn't create money or wealth, therefore it doesn't add value
    George, you're both venerable and knowledgeable. In your vast experience, have price controls worked anywhere?
    Mandating a $15 wage doesn't create money or wealth, therefore it doesn't add value

And that right there is the problem. Money doesn't grow on trees. The extra 7.50 per hour can't just be pulled out of some CEO's a$$. It has to come from somewhere. It has to be passed on to the consumer. So sure, it can be done a Big Mac can cost 8 bucks instead of 4, but everyone wants to believe you will still magically sell 550 million BMs (fitting) and the problem just gets swept under the rug.

I have no problem with the janitor, burger flipper, engineer or CEO making more money. I just want to know where that money comes from. Someone pays for it...just look at my signature line.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,676 Senior Member
    And the $70 million you pay the CEO, where is that pulled from?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    joekrz wrote: »
    Lets assume that paying an employee $15/hour gets them off government assistance. So now they have more money to spend on the things that the government had been paying for such as food and medical care. So at that point...Doesn't their net spending remain the same then since they now have to pay for those items themselves?

Yeah but now it is not coming from your pocket, and stop pretending you are a fan of the safety net. If people like Paul Ryan had their way, the poor wouldn't even have that.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    jbilly wrote: »
    And that right there is the problem. Money doesn't grow on trees. The extra 7.50 per hour can't just be pulled out of some CEO's a$$. It has to come from somewhere. It has to be passed on to the consumer. So sure, it can be done a Big Mac can cost 8 bucks instead of 4, but everyone wants to believe you will still magically sell 550 million BMs (fitting) and the problem just gets swept under the rug.

I have no problem with the janitor, burger flipper, engineer or CEO making more money. I just want to know where that money comes from. Someone pays for it...just look at my signature line.

"You always pay for it." - March Brown
  • bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    If you don't like what the boss pays you at McD's start your own freaking franchise.
    Take out a loan. Take the risk. The franchisee takes the risk every day.

Most people that **** about how little they make or how little others are paid have never had an employee. They have never taken the risk.
    Ya big risk takers. Ray Kroc took a risk. The franchise owner not so much. JP Morgan took a chance. Jamie Dimon not so much.
    “No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.” (1933, Statement on National Industrial Recovery Act)
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,117 Senior Member
    bakerloo wrote: »
    If you don't like what the boss pays you at McD's start your own freaking franchise.
    Take out a loan. Take the risk. The franchisee takes the risk every day.
    While I get your point about taking a chance, you might want to rethink this sentence.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    Doesn't Warren Buffet own Dairy Queen? Does he pay them $15 per hour? If so I need to tell my SIL, she could do way better than Dish Network. If he doesn't pay them $15 per hour why the heck doesn't he? Surely if anyone has enough money to do so it is he.
  • bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    While I get your point about taking a chance, you might want to rethink this sentence.

Which sentence?
    The franchisee does take a risk everyday. Nothing in business is guaranteed.
    jbilly wrote: »
    Doesn't Warren Buffet own Dairy Queen? Does he pay them $15 per hour? If so I need to tell my SIL, she could do way better than Dish Network. If he doesn't pay them $15 per hour why the heck doesn't he? Surely if anyone has enough money to do so it is he.

Does he own it and run it or is he an investor?
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,117 Senior Member
    I should have been more specific. The first sentence that implies a minimum wage worker can get a franchise. That person may be capable of handling one, but who is going to take a chance on her/him.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    George, you're both venerable and knowledgeable. In your vast experience, have price controls worked anywhere?

So are you Steven - venerable, honorable and knowledgeable.

Thus I am somewhat puzzled that you do not acknowledge that Republicans in Congress have been quite successful in controlling the price of minimum wage labor.
    I don't think I'm venerable yet.

I'm surprised you have a problem with Republicans setting a wage floor.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,330 Senior Member
    Yeah but now it is not coming from your pocket,

I acknowledged that.
    and stop pretending you are a fan of the safety net.

Who said I wasn't?
    If people like Paul Ryan had their way, the poor wouldn't even have that.

Maybe you didn't read the recent article Sherb posted.
    Does he own it and run it or is he an investor?

I don't exactly know. According to these references DQ is entirely owned by Berkshire Hathaway.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_Queen
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkshire_Hathaway

And according to this Buffet controls something like 30% of Berkshire. But this reference is a bit dated for such things.
    http://www.gurufocus.com/news/60051/how-many-berkshire-hathaway-shares-does-warren-buffett-still-own

I am no financial genius, but I'd think that if WB wanted to pay the DQ workers $15 hour he could snap his fingers and it would be done. Hell even if Berkshire didn't go along with it he could use some of his own billions to do so.

It is really no different than people complaining that taxes are too high. If you or I or Warren wanted to we could write a check to the treasure and pay as much tax as we wanted too.
    Buffet runs Berkshire Hathaway. Berkshire Hathaway owns DQ.

Buffet would probably just argue that unless everybody pays $15, DQ would be at a competitive disadvantage. Of course, that's a pretty poor excuse since Costco can do it....
    Is it Warren Buffet that makes those decisions?
    joekrz wrote: »
    I acknowledged that.

Who said I wasn't?

Maybe you didn't read the recent article Sherb posted.

Maybe you didn't. There was nothing in that article to suggest that Paul Ryan wanted to maintain the safety net or withdraw his budget proposals that make drastic cuts to the same.
    I don't think I'm venerable yet.

I'm surprised you have a problem with Republicans setting a wage floor.

What's that line in The Maltese Falcon?

"Oh you're good, you're very good". :)
    Is it Warren Buffet that makes those decisions?

Almost certainly not. But he most certainly could.
    Here's the answer by the way, from earlier this year...

"If you could have a minimum wage of $15 and it didn't hurt anything else, I would love it," Warren Buffet told CNBC this morning... "But clearly that isn't the case." The Oracle of Omaha explained that raising the minimum wage to $15 "wouldn't be a good idea,"
    Well if you can pick and choose when you agree with Warren Buffet, then so can the rest of us.
    Warren Buffet agreed with me.
    Well nobody is perfect.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.