Chopped liver

dryfliedryflie Senior MemberPosts: 1,442 Senior Member
Beef or Chicken?
“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    With Chianti?

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Is this too tough a question?
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,024 Senior Member
    Maybe. I don't recall what my chopped liver came from. But not knowing the answer never kept me from expressing an opinion. :)

Chicken.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,973 Senior Member
    In high-end delis it's made from quail livers.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    dryflie wrote: »
    Beef or Chicken?

Chopped Chicken Liver.

Freaking Goyim.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Where is Kanaloa when you finally need him..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Steven wrote: »
    Chopped Chicken Liver.

Freaking Goyim.

Now now Steven, I've probably eaten more chopped liver than you, considering my NJ birthplace and advance age. I, of course, prefer chicken but asked the question only after learning that beef is used in some delis. While I love fried beef liver I have no love for a chopped version.

BTW each Xmas I make the greatest Chicken Liver pate known to mankind. The secret is a granny smith apple and some apple brandy.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    dryflie wrote: »
    Now now Steven, I've probably eaten more chopped liver than you, considering my NJ birthplace and advance age. I, of course, prefer chicken but asked the question only after learning that beef is used in some delis. While I love fried beef liver I have no love for a chopped version.

BTW each Xmas I make the greatest Chicken Liver pate known to mankind. The secret is a granny smith apple and some apple brandy.

I was born at Beth Israel Hospital on Flatbush Avenue. There's no way you've eaten more chopped liver than I have. :)
    Steven wrote: »
    I was born at Beth Israel Hospital on Flatbush Avenue. There's no way you've eaten more chopped liver than I have. :)

I've probably crapped more chopped chicken liver than you've eaten, hell I probably crapped most of the chopped chicken liver you've eaten. :D
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    I loved the breaded Beef liver in the army, probably because I was so hungry. Venison Heart and Liver are not good fried in powder sugar. How can someone not tell the difference between that and flour?

Chicken and Goose livers are the foulest things on the planet causing me projectile vomit more than once. I'll stay with my Kippers and Sardines.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,973 Senior Member
    I'm with Salty about calves liver, pan seared or sauteed with onions. Mmm, mmm good. Beef liver isn't nearly as tasty, too strong and too tough.

Goose liver, especially foie gras is the platinum standard, either seared or in pate, terrine or mousse. Chicken livers are good as well, and I especially like them upscale southern style with caramelized onions and tasso ham in a Madeira sauce.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Out to dinner in the Berkshires 2 weeks ago I had a nice piece of Hudson Valley Foie Gras at a small inn. It was spectacular, sauteed with mushrooms and red wine.

https://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras.com/
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,261 Senior Member
    The only good liver is the kind I am not being served.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    liverwurst or Braunschweiger. I'm not supposed to eat it because: 1. it's all cholesterol and saturated fat 2. Its full of purine, the precursor to uric acid and gout attacks. 3. Pigs are disgusting, and pig livers are even more disgusting. And of course, there is that possibility of going to Jewish hell thing. Good reasons to enjoy the heck out it every few years.

You know, i don't think I've ever even noticed a chopped chicken liver product in my Denver suburban store. Hell, they don't even have fresh calves liver, which is wonderful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.