my day so far

FishTXFishTX Super ModeratorPosts: 7,948 Senior Member
Stuck bolts meant getting creative in loosening them to get the alternator removed. A ten mile ride to the parts store and a bench test showed the alternator is charging at 13V. I peddled the bike a few more miles to the mechanic who said the alt. may still be defective and needs to be tested with a load on it. He'll do it but I broke the small bolt on the back of the alt. where the cable mounts. [expletive deleted]. I guess I'll have to go back to the parts store and get the new alt. anyway.

The best part. I got within yards of the mechanics shop when I was set upon by a pack of wild beasts. This means I'll have to call the vets office to confirm they have had their rabies vaccinations.

00bite_zps5c81963c.jpg
"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,812 Senior Member
    Look at the bright side. It beats pushing up daisies or whatever else might grow in Tejas.:)
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,244 Senior Member
    Cool tat.

When you say "wild beasts" do you mean javelina or dogs? Were you carrying at the time?
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Herd of Puddy tats.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,946 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    bench test showed the alternator is charging at 13V. I peddled the bike a few more miles to the mechanic who said the alt. may still be defective and needs to be tested with a load on it.

What was the voltage with all the accessories on? That was the load test.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Buffco wrote: »
    Cool tat.

When you say "wild beasts" do you mean javelina or dogs? Were you carrying at the time?

I don't know much about javelina, but I'm fairly certain they don't get vaccinated for rabies.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Cool tat.

Maybe the wild beasts were cougars?
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    Dogs of course.

Burford. I haven't been able to do that. Broke off the bolt that holds the cable on the back of the alternator. Guess the nut was seized to it and it snapped off with little pressure. Now I'll have to buy a new alternator.

No neighbors home, so I'll put another 20 miles on the bike tomorrow. I got around 25 today. If nothing else it helps with my fitness goals.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    Since the alternator was already f'd up I hope you used it to bash the dog that bit you.
    I'll bash him later. I just want to hear from the vet. i talked to my mechanic and he said the vet is semiretired. Treatment should take place within 48 hours. Of course it could be nothing and the guy may be telling the truth about his dogs, but I just don't trust him.

Was it the mechanics dog or someone else's?

Seems to me like if you know who the owner of the animal is he/she would be bending over backwards to help you out. They should be doing everything they can to get the records.
    Remember this is Tejas..

Mike
    Next door neighbor to the mechanic. I'm wondering now if I should trust him. He gave me the vet's name. He should know that I could check with the vet.

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,873 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    Since the alternator was already f'd up I hope you used it to bash the dog that bit you.

Chuckle... :)

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,012 Senior Member
    Next door neighbor to the mechanic. I'm wondering now if I should trust him. He gave me the vet's name. He should know that I could check with the vet.

Guy, I think I would head to the hospital, get the damned shot (I believe it's only one now) and have them send the bill to the dog's owner. You live in open country, rabies is all over the place, and I can't imagine NOT getting treated under the circumstances. The dog's owner is responsible, and in any civilized state (which may or may not include Tejas) the dog is supposed to be quarantined immediately, no questions asked. Being neighborly is one thing, dying a slow, agonizing death is another.

Jim
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I have to say, you are taking this dog bite very nonchalantly. Jim's right. I would get it checked out
    I'm going to try to see a doc tomorrow and try again to contact the vet.

I'm going to try to see a doc tomorrow and try again to contact the vet.

+1 to what the other Jim said. Don't f around with this. Animal mouths are not clean...you probably had a dog before...ever seen em eat their own $hit!

I realize it isn't the same, but a co-workers wife **** near died about 2 years ago after their cat bit her. Got a seriously nasty a$$ infection and was in the hospital for weeks and on her butt for months.

Don't try to get to a doctor.....GET to a doctor first thing in the morning.

Hopefully it is nothing but don't find out the hard way.
    ok the boss is coming up here to get some data. He's bringing an alternator. If that fixes the truck, I'll drive it. If not I'll ask him to drive me to the doc. May be a hard sell. He's the kind of guy that takes certain things easy and it's hard to get some things across to him.

• Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    You should've tazed the bastages. Dang.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
    Called my friend, Kevin and he brought up some important information about my incident. I just got off the phone with the Sheriff's Dept. A deputy will be out tomorrow to photograph my wound and go talk to the dog's own. They will likely impound both of the black dogs, as I'm not sure which bit me. Kevin also suggested I contact a lawyer in hopes that the other guy pays my medical bills.

Kevin is a smart guy and good friend. Keep us posted.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    carry a sawed off shotgun or a bat from now on....and get fixed.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    I had a sheriff's deputy come by and after giving the sheriff's office the story three times, I had to write it out. I hope I gave them enough info. The deputy says he carries a small pistol and scared off a dog that nipped his shoe while bike riding. I guess it was near his girl friend's house, because he said he scared her too.

Still no info the back up the story that the dogs got vaccinated. Sheriff's office is supposed to be helping with that. The doctor said it is highly unlikely the dog is infected, but don't trust the officers to do a good job. It's up to me to confirm vaccinations or have the dogs picked up. One of the possible biters was at that house around 11:00 a.m. when I went to my mechanic. No luck getting the truck fixed on my own, so I dropped it off at the mechanic's shop around 5:00 p.m. Did not see any of the dogs then. I don't know if they got picked up for quarantine, or the owner hid them, or maybe they just weren't around the house when I drove by.

Worse part is not knowing. Even if I knew I needed the shots and it was going to cost me big time, I can handle it. Not knowing and unsure what my next step should be sucks.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,580 Senior Member
    Are the shots the ones you have to get in your stomach or have they come up with something better by now?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I've heard it is something better, but haven't found out exactly what. What can't they be in the arm. Got a tetanus shot while in the doctor's office. That's the kind I like. Hardly felt a thing. I used to give plasma once or twice a week and they put a big need in at the inside of the elbow and if the tech is good you don't feel more than a little prick.

Where is BrianD when you need him..

Mike
    Brian knows.

Is it too soon to say, "if Fish had been carrying..."

Why not just get the shot anyway? Are they expensive?

And I thought a police report on a dog = immediate impoundment. What do you mean it's up to you?
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    You should bite the dog back. That's the only way it'll learn.
    Hextall wrote: »
    You should bite the dog back. That's the only way it'll learn.

But what if Fish TX has rabies? He really should be put down before he bites.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.