Let Them Eat Cake

13»

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I'll take that as a no and that you believed that hiding their profit overseas meant that companies didn't pay taxes anywhere.

Now if the tax rate here were the same as the tax rates in other developed countries, companies like Pfizer are going to pay their taxes here because there's no benefit to pay them elsewhere.

Or you can keep our tax rate higher here than everywhere else and watch our major companies depart for parts unknown...because cutting off your nose to spite your face is always so much fun.

You're never going to get your 35%. Would you rather have 20% or zero?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,271 Senior Member
    What don't you get about the fact that we are not even getting 20%?

I don't know what they paid on their overseas taxes. I only know that they hid profits made here through a maneuver that should be illegal and I don't care about what they pay other governments. This is no justification for giving $2 billion to a company that paid no taxes in the US. The want all the benefit of citizenship but don't want the responsibilities. I say **** them!
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    What don't you get about the fact that we are not even getting 20%?

I understand we don't get 20% and I even understand why. I also understand that if we lowered our tax rate to 20%, there's no reason we wouldn't get it.

Edit to add: By the way, with no reason to shift profit due to taxes, Pfizer wouldn't have received the $2.2 billion in tax refunds from us.
    No if there was no mechanism for Pfizer to shift profit, they wouldn't have received $2.2 billion. You want to lower the tax rate to 20%? Fine. But you also have to remove every single tax haven and tax cheat gimic corporations use to avoid paying the 20%. Let us get that 20%.

In either case arguing that a company is being overburdened by taxes when they pay none is ludicrous.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Steven wrote: »
    I also understand that if we lowered our tax rate to 20%, there's no reason we wouldn't get it.

This requires a level of naivety that I didn't think you were capable of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.