Gopro cameras

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 10,271 Senior Member
Who has one? Talk to me. Hex, you do don't you?

Are they geared towards wide angled action shots only? Everything online seems that way.

What about general home footage?

Replies

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,195 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

They have special filters to block out Ginger-junk so you can forget about taking "'action" shots
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,799 Senior Member
    Filming "The Creamed Corn Chronicles?"
    :)

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Who has one? Talk to me. Hex, you do don't you?

Are they geared towards wide angled action shots only? Everything online seems that way.

I have one, and love it. It's really fun. I think most people leave the wide angle setting on, but you can narrow the focus a bit. but the default video output has the fisheye effect, which is easily removable using the go pro software (checkbox to remove fisheye). Regarding general home footage... you definitely can use it for that. If that's all your going to do though, I'm not really sure the advantage over using say an iphone. But if you do ever plan on slapping it on a bike or want to use it swimming then the go pro is great. One of the reasons I got it was the 60 minutes episode on it, adn there was one clip of a kid riding a bike, but the camera was facing the kid attached to the handlebar and the footage was something that I'd like to have of my daughter (if she ever gets on a bike... we're trying to teach her now).

I have the silver 3+ version, and that's more than enough for my jackassness. The black version has slightly more tech specs, but the silver still films in HD and there's a setting where it's 120 frames per second, so I can really slow it down for cool footage. One annoying thing I didn't consider when getting it... all the accessories are on the pricey side. Things like handle bar mounts, chest mounts, handles that float... all range from $20-50, so getting a few basic mounts can add up quickly.

Here's a quick video I made of me bombing down a steep trail and chickening out on the last two jumps. I'm so ashamed. The footage is pretty shakey because the mount attachments weren't as tight as it should have been. But I like this viewpoint.

The Hat and I did a canoe race saturday and we used his and my camera. I need to edit the footage together, the files are huge, and my home computer gets memory swamp. I have a snowshoeing weekend the Hextalls did that still has to be edited together (swimming in the hotel pool... snowshoeing... going through an ice castle... should be a good clip).

I think you dropped the ball though not getting it a month or two ago. I think GoPro makes a fetus mount.
    Here's a video I made for a college buddy of me and another college buddy eating like kings (there's quite a few inside jokes here):
    Here's the Hextalls going sledding.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Pretty funny. the first video could be entitled: Ode to The Throne. (last shot)
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    Just buy one of the many waterproof cameras on the market and get in touch with your inner redneck. You'll save some $$$
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,271 Senior Member
    Great videos. Your daughter is cute and you're a good dad. I wish you would take me sledding.

I want higher quality than I'd get with my camera phone. (And no Iphone, I'm a droid user like you, silly goose)

Here's what I want. Something HD, and something that will allow me to edit the footage. I realize this is probably independent of the camera, but I know ****-all about video formats. I want to add subtitles, and if it's possible, lay over sound. Not replace it like you did with the rock music in the sledding video, but dubbed in on top of the ambient sound.

Is that even possible? I mean, obviously production companies can do it, but can a end user find software that will allow all of the above? I obviously need an education on 2 things, cameras AND editing software.

It seems a lot of the hype out there are for action cams, ie GoPro. I'm fine with using one of those so long as long as it works for shooting movies and all that aren't necessarily tied to the end of a snowboard. Plus the fisheye thing looks cool, but won't work for my purposes.

"Oh, Crosby" P.S. I got all of the inside jokes.
    Not replace it like you did with the rock music in the sledding video, but dubbed in on top of the ambient sound.

In the dinner video with the Hat... when we pull up to my garage, I turn down the music (in da club), but not all the way, turn up the video recorded sound and you can hear my buddy say "Oh Crosby" (inside joke), then turn up the music. It's very easy to do this with the gopro software. You can overlay tracks pretty easily. Also at the beginning of that video, I left in the restaurant sounds before the music starts.
    It's easy to add subtitles.

The cases that come with the gopro though are waterproof, so they don't record sound all that well (it comes with a "skeleton" door that has slots to let sound in better. But I bought the gopro "frame" mount which is just a frame that hold the camera to the mounts, this is what I use when not biking or in the water. This is the frame: http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/the-frame

I use the free gopro software, which is relatively crappy and simple. I've bookmarked other free video editing software, but like I said, my home computer is really cheap and slow.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-free-video-editing-software/#!GJgez
    http://www.ezvid.com/top_5_free_video_editing_software_for_windows
    http://mobiletipslen.webs.com/apps/blog/show/25907049-top-5-video-editing-software-to-make-better-gopro-hd-hero-camera-videos

I tried using Lightworks, but there's a pretty steep learning curve. It's good enough to edit real movies.
    Here's how the go pro editing works:

- you grab the MP4 videos off the camera*
    - you load them into the gopro software, and the first step is rough editing (mostly clipping the video) and convert to an avi format (it's very easy doing this)
    - then you edit the avi clips. you can change the colors (the software comes with some presets, and I used some in the sledding video to brighten it up), speed up or slow down, add titles, zoom in/out, etc.
    - then you export this into a format you want

All these things are easily labeled as Steps 1, 2 and 3 in the go pro software. there's even templates built in that you load up several clips and the software edits them all for you.

*at this step, you can also grab these clips and use them as well. You can get an app for your phone or tablet where you connect to the camera's wifi and can download the clips and upload to youtube/facebook/etc right then and there with no editing.
    Only thing I think won't work for me is the lack of a view finder. I'm not recording myself so I'm not sure how that would work.

How do you know you've got yourself centered without a viewfinder?
    Only thing I think won't work for me is the lack of a view finder. I'm not recording myself so I'm not sure how that would work.

That's a problem. They do make an LCD backpack that puts a viewfinder on the back (and you'll get a water proof case that the LCD backpack will fit in). I think it's an extra $80 or so. That's too rich for my blood. This might also explain why all the videos you see are wide angle... most people just point it toward what they want to film and with a wide angle, they are likely to get it.

Also, the app I mentioned, you can look at a live stream on your phone (it's got a 1-2 second delay though) for setting it up. The app is pretty sweet, you can change all the settings (video recording settings, time lapse, burst photo, or single picture... you can even flip the image upside down if that's how you want to mount it... you can also turn on and off the camera remotely), and even start/stop recording. the only downside is that when the camera is in wifi mode, it eats up the battery pretty quickly. When I did the canoe race this weekend, it took us just shy of 2 hours, and my battery was almost dead. that was without wifi turned on.

Also... it doesn't come with a wall mount charger. I think the package comes with just a USB charger (so you have to connect the gopro to a computer or other USB charging adapter to charge it). I asked for xmas to get a package deal from amazon that has 2 extra batteries, a wall and car charger.

See what I mean about the nickle and diming of accessories?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member

I want higher quality than I'd get with my camera phone. (And no Iphone, I'm a droid user like you, silly goose).

I have to say that the videos from my Samsung Galaxy phone are pretty impressive and high quality. 1080 HD from my phone couple weeks ago...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Something HD, and something that will allow me to edit the footage.

If you're not going to use the camera in an environment that will get it all bashed up or wet, then the go-pro might be too much. A better option might be something like this: Sony HD Camcorder.

But I used mine while swimming with my daughter, canoeing, biking, or just making silly movies around the house. Plus, I plan on putting it on her bike, or other toys she's playing with to get a cool view of her. That's why I went gopro versus camcorder.

I didn't even mention this plan: Putting the GoPro on a quadcopter
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I think Hex hit the nail on the head -- if you're not looking to do "extreme" environment shooting, with water, mud, g-forces, etc -- then the GoPro is only a so-so solution -- its design and features ALL revolve around those applications, so it's much less well adapted to say, the kids' birthday parties, etc. On the upside, it's small and essentially indestructible -- you could get the pinata-eye view of the birthday party, I suppose -- but the lack of a viewfinder makes it a poor second even to a decent cell phone IMO. Apparently the newer models have some cool time lapse options as well -- my boss at the newspaper recently used one to film a time lapse of a construction project, but the main reason for the choice was its relatively low cost (compared to, say, his $5,000 Canon DSLR) and tiny size which made it possible to hide it out of sight for 10 days without too much fear of it getting stolen.
    Here's the Hextalls putting up the x-mas tree last year. I think the beginning part of this was filmed in timelapse (I think 0.5 seconds intervals). I've since gotten a tripod mount for it (I asked for a bunch of accessories for x-mas).
    By the way, it's trivial building a timelapse movie. you just open one of the many pictures and the gopro software puts it all the relevant pictures together automatically.
    What about using sound captured in one shot to continue over another shot?

For instance, shot 1 is of one of the babies crying. Film then cuts to second baby just looking but I want the crying recorded in shot one to continue over.

Can you do that? Separate sound from video?
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,195 Senior Member
    Looks like a blast sledding. How old is Little Hex? Guessing she is about 7, same as Little Jbillina
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Nice. It appears your daughter has the entertainer personality also.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
    What about using sound captured in one shot to continue over another shot?

For instance, shot 1 is of one of the babies crying. Film then cuts to second baby just looking but I want the crying recorded in shot one to continue over.

Can you do that? Separate sound from video?

I actually don't know. that's a good question. I would suspect that is doable with some of the fancier video editing software, but I'm not sure it's possible with the gopro software. I would bet Lightworks could do that.

Also, look who's trying to be Tarantino!
    jbilly wrote: »
    Looks like a blast sledding. How old is Little Hex? Guessing she is about 7, same as Little Jbillina

Nice guess... she'll be 7 soon. She's a little Hextall, which is so gosh darn fun for me... and enraging for Mrs. Hextall.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,961 Senior Member

Find out what field of view it has and buy an auxiliary viewfinder. Since it has a wide angle lens, you can probably find a finder to match or come close. A lot of finders are made for using wide angle lenses on rangefinder cameras, so there are a bunch out there.

The finders are hotshoe mounted, but you can probably go with adhesive backed velcro to stick it on the gopro. That way it is detachable.

Here is one example.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.